Return to “Polls”

what silhouette should your spaceship look like (examples below)

1. ze brick with ze engines slapped on ze back
Total votes: 46 (15%)
2. ze same brick only with ze engines on ze side
Total votes: 34 (11%)
3. ze aerodynamic looking brick
Total votes: 58 (19%)
4. ze brick looking like a floating ship
Total votes: 11 (4%)
5. ze candle
Total votes: 15 (5%)
6. ze candle with a ring around it
Total votes: 28 (9%)
7. ze alien looking candle
Total votes: 11 (4%)
9. ze asymmetrical brick/candle
Total votes: 23 (8%)
10. ze V for vendetta brick
Total votes: 24 (8%)
11. ze brick who thinks he can scare people if he fly's underwater near a beach
Total votes: 23 (8%)
12. ze other brick I didn't mention here (but you will, probably)
Total votes: 25 (8%)
Total votes: 298
Re: what silhouette do you like your spaceship to look like

Scytale wrote:Centre of mass would certainly be important. But the centre of mass needn't be in the geometric centre.
No, but it would make piloting in small places considerably more clumsy - thus docking more clumsy as well. Unless, I suppose, everything was controlled with a computer.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Cornflakes_91 wrote:As long as you mount your thrusters symmetric to your center of mass it shouldnt make any difference
I don't even think that's a constraint, if you have computers that tune thruster thrust to moment arm from centre of mass, but it would certainly simplify design.

Trouble comes with strong assymetric ships where the centre of mass is almost at one end of the craft - you're limited in how much of a lever arm you can get on the short end of the ship.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:As long as you mount your thrusters symmetric to your center of mass it shouldnt make any difference
When it's asymmetric enough, your cockpit will feel like it's swinging forwards and backwards whenever your ship turns. It wouldn't make too much of a difference in deep space, as all you would really notice is the ship turning, but docking would become a nightmare.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote: When it's asymmetric enough, your cockpit will feel like it's swinging forwards and backwards whenever your ship turns. It wouldn't make too much of a difference in deep space, as all you would really notice is the ship turning, but docking would become a nightmare.
Indeed, if your cockpit isn't exactly on the centre of mass, then it would always move with respect to the CoM when the ship rotates.

Scytale wrote: I don't even think that's a constraint, if you have computers that tune thruster thrust to moment arm from centre of mass, but it would certainly simplify design.

Trouble comes with strong assymetric ships where the centre of mass is almost at one end of the craft - you're limited in how much of a lever arm you can get on the short end of the ship.
Its easier when you mount them balanced.
Less different engines, less varying stresses on the thrusters, less total spare parts needed as you can use the same parts for more things.

And for long lever-like ships:

Mount your RCS on the long arm, lots of torque, and for counterin translational forces its irrelevant where your thrusters are.

So you have a cluster of engines at the end of the arm, producing torque, and another, identical, cluster on the short end countering translational forces when rotating

Online Now