Return to “Polls”

How many gameplay configuration options should Limit Theory offer?

Very few: Josh should be allowed to make and deliver the exact gameplay experience he wants.
Total votes: 6 (6%)
Some: the game should be fully playable with the defaults, but it would be nice to tweak some minor gameplay settings.
Total votes: 25 (27%)
Numerous: I'll probably use a few defaults, but I want to make sure the core gameplay suits my specific tastes.
Total votes: 36 (39%)
Ludicrous: Let me tailor every gameplay option. I accept responsibility for any weirdness that erupts.
Total votes: 26 (28%)
Total votes: 93
Gameplay Configuration Options

We've recently been having a great conversation -- in multiple threads -- on the subject of gameplay configuration options. How much variety is right for the kind of game that Limit Theory wants to be?

It occurs to me that this is just the kind of thing a Polls section might help with. Cast your vote! Let Josh and everyone else know your preference, and feel free to comment below if you'd like to explain your vote.

Note: by "gameplay" I don't mean settings for screen resolution, keybindings, controller type. Those are outside the world of the game.

I'm talking about options that change something about the world of the game itself: universe age, NPC personalities, difficulty level, and so on. Those are what I'm hoping you'll tell us about.
Re: Gameplay Configuration Options

Having more options is good because if X3 has taught us anything then that "mods" may well end up working better than the vanilla balance and may just end up becoming the vanilla balance. =P
Parts of it anyway.

Off the top of my head I can think of half a dozen such scripts/mods that ended up in vanilla X3.

That's not necessarily because single modders are smarter than the Egosoft dev team but because modders spend ridiculous amounts of time getting a small aspect of the game "just right".
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

I always like the idea of having a few options, at least in-game.

For those that want the ludicrous amount, have an INI file or similar to tweak everything that doesn't have a GUI interface for. I'm reminded of some of the CON files from Duke Nukem 3D that allowed editing just about anything and everything.

Keeps the interface clean and those who would do major modding would have an easier time with it being outside the game.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Gazz wrote:Having more options is good because if X3 has taught us anything then that "mods" may well end up working better than the vanilla balance and may just end up becoming the vanilla balance. =P
Parts of it anyway.

Off the top of my head I can think of half a dozen such scripts/mods that ended up in vanilla X3.

That's not necessarily because single modders are smarter than the Egosoft dev team but because modders spend ridiculous amounts of time getting a small aspect of the game "just right".
well, the terrans from the reunion version of the XTM mod became vanilla ATF in terran conflict + AP :lol:
just to empathise gazz argument :D

This is a weird poll.

Like, it's going to be how Josh wants it. And because we have a data-editor, there's going to be infinite configurability. And because Josh has discussed this, there'll probably be various tweakable settings in the universe creation screen, including multiple seeds for randomisation.

Like, isn't the answer "every one of these things is, in some sense, the valid and correct answer"?

Neandertal wrote: If I remember correctly Josh said the data editor will not be available to us to the same extent it is to him. Is this still true or has he changed his mind?
The data editor will not be enabled by default to such extent as he has shown in the videos.
Also will he close down some areas of code he does not want to be accessible to the general public, out of "company secret" reasons

We should have something like Minecraft's "Enable cheats"-option. You can set the data editor to be inaccessible, if you don't want to cheat, or allow it for more sandbox -y experience.
Of course, we should have a way to share setups across the web. Maybe by a code ( i.e I87yf6rT01tHw42U).
In space, no one will hear you scream. #262626
I've never played a space sim. Ever.
Vos estis tan limes.

Online Now