Return to “Polls”

Re: H-Tech

Cha0zz wrote:
ThymineC wrote: Fair point, but there's something else to consider: “A subatomic particle is most likely to be in a particular place, such as near the nucleus of an atom, but there is also a small probability of it being found very far from its point of origin. Thus, a body could travel from place to place without passing through the intervening space if you had sufficient control of probability.” -- Michael Lockwood
yep, but that is eg for an electron relative to a proton, this doesn't say anything about the proton and thus doesn't tell you anything about a group of subatomic particles.
What? This should be applicable to all particles, shouldn't it? Otherwise why would Michael talk about a "body" traveling from place to place?

You could potentially see this happening on a macroscopic scale with billions of particles at the same time, it's just extraordinarily unlikely without an H-field (which is quite similar to Douglas Adam's improbability clouds).
Last edited by ThymineC on Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thymine: That is exactly the quantum dynamics I didn't want to get in to.

The propagation of tge probability distribution is not faster than light.
The probability distribution of a subatomic particle propagates radially in all spacial dimensions, not in "The Direction I Want To Travel"

BFett wrote:Limit Theory is not a simulation, please stop trying to sell it as such.
I'm not trying to; actually, I'm trying to tell that H-tech is not needed for immersion exactly for the same reason.
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
BFett wrote:
Cha0zz wrote: yep, but that is eg for an electron relative to a proton, this doesn't say anything about the proton and thus doesn't tell you anything about a group of subatomic particles.
As I understand it protons don't make up subatomic particles. Protons make Matter which matters!
protons ARE subatomic particles.
they are less than an atom sub-atom (ic)
Um, so you are saying that every element on the periodic table is sub-atomic? Elements are defined by the number of protons they contain, everything else is there for happiness.
http://www.ptable.com/

Sasha wrote:Thymine: That is exactly the quantum dynamics I didn't want to get in to.

The propagation of tge probability distribution is not faster than light.
The probability distribution of a subatomic particle propagates radially in all spacial dimensions, not in "The Direction I Want To Travel"
Which is why the core concept of H-drive, the whole handwavium aspect to it is that it does place constraints on the probability distribution. I don't know if this necessarily has to involve making information travel faster than light - it just does something that constrains the probability cloud. Again, "a body could travel from place to place without passing through the intervening space if you had sufficient control of probability."

If it does necessitate sending information faster than light, then presumably it could send this information through a higher dimensionality of space that the already-implemented wormholes must tunnel through. I don't believe this is necessary, though.

ThymineC wrote: What? This should be applicable to all particles, shouldn't it?
Nope, the proton is always where we expect it to be.
BFett wrote:As I understand it protons don't make up subatomic particles. Protons make Matter which matters!
Yes. the proton with its neutrons and electrons make up matter. And they don't randomly move. Only the electrons move randomly and can in theory be found miles from the proton, but in general it will be found in its orbital, we just cannot predict where in said orbital.
ThymineC wrote: which is quite similar to Douglas Adam's improbability clouds)
And complete bollocks.

ThymineC wrote:
Sasha wrote:Why there are asteroids everywhere
I'm fairly sure this is something Josh said he was going to change eventually. I mean I don't expect asteroids to be literally everywhere in all systems, and from the footage I've seen of Freelancer this wasn't the case there either.
Well, what a coincidinc! :ghost: From today's dev log:
JoshParnell wrote:But if you thought that was an exciting breakthrough, just wait. It wasn't the best part of today. No sir, today I finally began to understand in-system space for what it is: a structured, connected graph of 'zones,' not some random homogeneous stretch of space. A 'zone' is just a point of interest, but it is useful to think of zones as objects. A system might have an asteroid field zone, perhaps a planet zone, etc.
A bit funny that a system might have an "asteroid field zone" if asteroids are meant to be everywhere.

Flatfingers wrote:I won't be voting on this "poll" because it comes across to me as a barely-veiled attack on another member of the forum. Essentially, "who else wants ThymineC to shut up?" I'm not going to endorse that one way or the other because I think that will have a chilling effect on the free expression of ideas here.

There are several ideas of mine I've mentioned in multiple posts that I hope might be worthy of consideration for parts of mechanics in LT: fundamental personality types, player contracts, tactical/operational/strategic levels of gameplay design, and more. Do I need to be concerned that someone will personally feel that one or more of those is tedious and throw up a poll encouraging other forum members to vote against my suggestions? What happens when it's one of your suggestions that someone posts what's basically a thread to discourage you from posting?

This thread is not about one of ThymineC's ideas. That would be fair. Instead, it's about the effectiveness with which he's expressed one of his ideas. That comes close IMO to a criticism of the person. When new forum members who are on the fence about posting an idea they're enthusiastic about see that one forum member can call for others to criticize another forum member for being good at advocating one of their ideas, why should that fence-sitter choose to join the conversation at all? Who wants that kind of treatment?

ThymineC hasn't done anything to deserve this kind of treatment, or for any other forum members to tolerate this kind of treatment. His crime is that he's had an idea that he believes provides a consistent explanation for the way that Josh has described the world of LT to work, and he's been enthusiastic and articulate in explaining and defending that idea. Furthermore, he's been remarkably courteous in his responses to criticisms.

My opinion is that back-handed requests to censor a forum member whose behavior has been nothing but constructive -- either covertly with "do you also not like Idea X?" polls or overtly as by suggesting that their posts on some subject be thrown into a single ghetto thread -- is not appropriate. If as just another forum member you don't like something another forum member says, say so politely, then, having expressed your opinion, move on... just as I have done and intend to do with this thread.

Or, if you're really concerned that someone else's idea that you don't like might sneak into the game, propose something better. That is how a forum prospers and encourages new members to post their hopes and ideas, making the place more enjoyable for everyone.
Thank you, Flatfingers, for saying exactly what needed to be said, and summing up the reason why I am now locking this thread. This poll is neither constructive nor respectful to a forum member who has put a remarkable amount of time and effort into elegant, interesting, and integrated webs of gameplay concepts.

If you do not like ThymineC's ideas, feel free to ignore them or debate them in the relevant thread. But this forum has a reputation for a high caliber of intellectual suggestions, and I will not stand to see a forum member who embodies the very essence of that devalued in such a way.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Online Now