Save/Load
Total votes: 66 (35%)
All of the above
Total votes: 70 (37%)
Custom idea
Total votes: 7 (4%)
Total votes: 189
Re: Death in LT

Hyperion wrote:Permanent death, but you can rent clone points at various stations and planets. So can the AI. If you die without a clone point, game over, go back to a previous save or start new. If the AI dies without a clone point, they disappear and their remaining assets become a free for all. If they have a clone point they can come back.

However this was discussed in IRC, and we came up with the idea that if a player dies, the game advances by a significant portion of time to allow for "reconstruction" and to ensure you aren't always fighting the same players over and over again. For shits and giggles we said that it should be an in game year. If you Kill an AI, it disappears for a year off to some station or planet... blow up the station or planet, they are gone for good. If the Human player on the otherhand dies, the game reverts to a historical simulation for 1 game year... the world is a little different after that time. If you had a great empire and died, it may be crumbling to dust, or you may have been replaced with ease and pushed out, or you may be welcomed back at the helm. [insert more scenarios here]
Since I'm now happy with imagining players (and executives in general) as being flesh-and-blood, and since I believe it would be best for time in LT to pass at the same rate as real-life but have mechanics/events that caused leaps in time, I started giving serious consideration to Hyperion's reconstruction suggestion.

Hyperion evolved this idea out of TGS' original idea of immortal agents in a way intended to resolve some of the issues with it. The reconstruction idea offered a nice way in which agents you "kill" effectively disappear from your game, because it takes a year or so to reconstruct them. If the player is killed, then he gets skipped forwards in time a year and continues on from there, which is a really nice idea because it both punishes the player appropriately, but it's an interesting kind of punishment - what has changed in the course of that year?

One of the major issues with TGS' proposal was that, if we assume agents to be rational, we will likely see many NPCs we "kill" cropping up over and over again if they have a lot invested in a particular region that they will want to reclaim, unless we implement something like a debt mechanic, although that's possibly not a good idea. We'd end up with something like a Team Fortress 2/COD game where people and agents will just respawn over and over again at no cost whenever they die, and carry on trying to achieve their objectives as before.

Hyperion's reconstruction idea seemed to resolve this issue because now it forced agents to be "out of play" for a length of time, so we didn't have to imagine agents behaving irrationally for the sake of the player, or rationally in a way that annoyed the player.

But there's an issue that I spotted with this and I really ought to have spotted it earlier: Let's say I kill Bob, Pete and Mary. They go out of the game for a year, and I've effectively eliminated them. Awesome! But then I get killed too - and what happens then? The game skips forward a year, and there are Bob, Pete and Mary again, and I have to go through the hassle of killing them again I suppose. And then eventually I get killed again, time-skipped forward again, meet and subsequently kill Bob, Pete and Mary again, ad infinitum. I don't want to keep encountering the same NPCs over and over again.

On the other hand, Hyperion's idea here is expanded beyond what I remember was discussed in IRC and, as he explains in the quotation above, immortality is no longer guaranteed for either players or NPCs - agents only respawn if they have clones and their stations aren't destroyed while they're being reconstructed.

But then, if we're not assuming agents are immortal anymore - that is if we're re-introducing permadeath - why all this complication? All of these issues arose with TGS' original idea only because we were assuming agents to be immortal. If agents can be killed permanently, then we can simplify the mechanics considerably and achieve the same result: if I kill NPCs, they die permanently. If NPCs kill me, I die permanently. It's the simplest implementation of death mechanics you could suggest, it doesn't raise plausibility or player-NPC disparity issues and it's far more psychologically satisfying (people you kill are dead "for real"). There's no need to implement things like reconstruction to circumvent issues that wouldn't even exist unless we assumed everyone were immortal (although as I've pointed out above, that doesn't actually circumvent the issue). It could very well be neat for other reasons, however, and there are certainly reasons why I would consider it neat, it's just that it's no longer necessary.

I am against player permadeath, though, which is why I can't settle for this much simpler implementation. :ghost:

I thought we had this problem solved a few pages ago. We can try to wrap up all the mechanics into one working system, or we can separate each mechanic into its own standalone system. Personally I'd like to see all of the mechanics wrapped into one system so that the setting doesn't have to be as rigid when the game is first generated.

BFett wrote:I thought we had this problem solved a few pages ago. We can try to wrap up all the mechanics into one working system, or we can separate each mechanic into its own standalone system. Personally I'd like to see all of the mechanics wrapped into one system so that the setting doesn't have to be as rigid when the game is first generated.
The problem was never solved. I think we just agreed that proposing one system that everyone would be happy to accept is an insoluble problem. I mean, we could perhaps all agree on implementing a whole range of different death mechanics, but the more options you allow, the more chance there is that some of these options will be incompatible with other LT game elements and "break" it, and in any case the major issue is determining what should be the default death mechanics.

Now I proposed something a while back (Many Worlds) that would act as a foundation upon which other people's ideas could be stacked to "wrap up all the mechanics into one working system" so to speak, but apparently people aren't happy with that.

Just wanted to say (again) that I don't get what's the obsession with ‘immersion’ for savegames these days. If it's an MMO, aye, we need that; if it's a single-player game - why even bother? And if the game is awesome you won't notice anyway - you'll just rush through the menu to load the save and try again.

A hardcore mode with permadeath and possibility of starting anew in the same universe: yes!
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.

outlander4 wrote:Just wanted to say (again) that I don't get what's the obsession with ‘immersion’ for savegames these days. If it's an MMO, aye, we need that; if it's a single-player game - why even bother? And if the game is awesome you won't notice anyway - you'll just rush through the menu to load the save and try again.
Why should a game not concern itself with immersion just because it's single-player? Immersion is important to simulationists whether the game is single-player or not.

I would really like to see Josh weigh in on this as all we're doing is going back and forth on the same thing.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

I see it the other way around. In single player, immersion is important. I don't care a whit about it if it's an MMO. Every single person you talk to online immediately breaks the feeling of immersion, so any effort you put into "immersion" is pointless.
DWMagus wrote:I would really like to see Josh weigh in on this as all we're doing is going back and forth on the same thing.
Very much this. +1
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:I see it the other way around. In single player, immersion is important. I don't care a whit about it if it's an MMO. Every single person you talk to online immediately breaks the feeling of immersion, so any effort you put into "immersion" is pointless.
Exactly this. ^

One thing I did find about immersive in EVE Online was the structure of space, since EVE used (or gave the impression of) realistic system sized and sensible solar system layouts. It was nice.

Talvieno wrote:Ah, I never played EVE. I still bet that that immersion was broken as soon as somebody talked to you.
Yeah the immersion was certainly broken unless me talking about blowing people up after my parents cut off my pocket money and my corp leader calling the real-life police on me somehow contributed to the impression of being futuristic space entrepreneurs.

Should I just list space sims where immersion wasn't broken because of save/load buttons in the menu?

Hold on. Where should I start? Of course, I should start with the original Elite. And it goes from here till modern days. In fact, it's harder to list games with some sort of weird in-game or lore justification for save/load. And I have absolutely no problem with that. Because it's a bloody game. It might be the best game in the Universe but it's still a game. You play the bloody thing. There is no reason to hide it. What's wrong with you people?
Image What's next - eliminating ‘start new game’ button? Replacing it with ‘being born’ or ‘being uploaded into the world’? And what about settings? They too may change your gameplay experience. Let's integrate them nicely into gameplay as well. Call them ‘adjusting your perception unit settings’, if we run with Thymine's mainframe dudes proposal.

I repeat again - any kind of ‘immersion’ for a decades-old feature is redundant. Such basic features should be kept simple. In MMOs it's done to avoid save states and permadeath and just look how silly it is with all the attempts to justify it. I don't want it. No ungodly cloning mechanics, no ‘uploads’, no revival or transferring your stuff to a relative that you've never known. Just give me a straight-out-of-Freelancer mechanics where games autosaves you when you're docked and it should be perfectly fine.
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.

outlander4 wrote:Should I just list space sims where immersion wasn't broken because of save/load buttons in the menu?

Hold on. Where should I start? Of course, I should start with the original Elite. And it goes from here till modern days. In fact, it's harder to list games with some sort of weird in-game or lore justification for save/load. And I have absolutely no problem with that. Because it's a bloody game. It might be the best game in the Universe but it's still a game. You play the bloody thing. There is no reason to hide it. What's wrong with you people?
This is not just the issue, though. I'm all for save/load being implemented, of course, I just do not want it to be the primary death-handling mechanic. And this is not just for the sake of immersion or anything like that - it's because I want to be punished appropriately when I die. If I can just reload an earlier save, I'll do that and I won't be punished at all. If I don't reload, then I'll have to start from scratch (not something I want, so given the choice I'll just reload).
outlander4 wrote:What's next - eliminating ‘start new game’ button? Replacing it with ‘being born’ or ‘being uploaded into the world’?
Absolutely!
outlander4 wrote: And what about settings? They too may change your gameplay experience. Let's integrate them nicely into gameplay as well. Call them ‘adjusting your perception unit settings’, if we run with Thymine's mainframe dudes proposal.
Good idea!

N.B. I don't consider the player to be an AI anymore so the above suggestions are irrelevant now.

This is precisely why designing death-handling mechanics that satisfy everyone is an impossible problem.

outlander4 wrote:Should I just list space sims where immersion wasn't broken because of save/load buttons in the menu?

Oh, that's what the immersion thing was about??? Lol, yeah, no. Save/load/quit doesn't mess with immersion because hello, if you're going to save/load/quit, you're not planning on still playing. Save/load/quit is what is considered an Acceptable Break. "OMG, I'm piloting with a mouse" falls into the same category.
ThymineC wrote:I just do not want it to be the primary death-handling mechanic. And this is not just for the sake of immersion or anything like that - it's because I want to be punished appropriately when I die.
I agree with you here. Punishment is good. There's always savescumming, though.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:

Oh, that's what the immersion thing was about??? Lol, yeah, no. Save/load/quit doesn't mess with immersion because hello, if you're going to save/load/quit, you're not planning on still playing. Save/load/quit is what is considered an Acceptable Break. "OMG, I'm piloting with a mouse" falls into the same category.
Saving and loading is fine for if you're entering/exiting the game. What I don't like is having to reload to an earlier save to play out a situation differently because I died or got myself into another unrecoverable situation. But I'm perfectly fine with that option being available, so long as I'm not forced to rely on it. Basically, I want LT to almost play out as one long continuous (unbroken) story from start to end, and reloading earlier saves will kind of break that continuity, and allow me to act on information I shouldn't otherwise know.

But mainly, make death punish me in some way that allows me (with some effort) to recover, and I'll be happy. This is incidentally a strong positive attribute of Hyperion's reconstruction idea.
Talvieno wrote:
ThymineC wrote:I just do not want it to be the primary death-handling mechanic. And this is not just for the sake of immersion or anything like that - it's because I want to be punished appropriately when I die.
I agree with you here. Punishment is good. There's always savescumming, though.
I've got nothing against people that want to savescum, so long as I don't have to do that as well.

Link to relevant post.

Locking thread because:
  • People are not open to others' ideas. We get it. Some want save/load, some don't.
  • The discussion is becoming waaaay to opinionated in order to remain neutral.
  • This is still a mechanic up for debate, not for saying "OMG IT MUST BE THIS WAY".
  • The thread is only going around in circles re-hashing the same things.
  • The current direction of the thread is beginning to become hostile and I don't want to deal with it after the fact.
Thread may be unlocked in the future once Josh has decided on the mechanic.

Edit: Just because an option is in the game, doesn't mean you have to use it. This is the same argument that was in the whole discussion about cheats. If an option is available, you don't have to utilize it if it doesn't match your playstyle (i.e. savescumming). Posts like those will not be tolerated.
Last edited by DWMagus on Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Unlocking because... meh. Why not... *looks at Tal suspiciously*
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Online Now