Player Logging - Automatic - NPC Logging
Total votes: 22 (28%)
Player Logging - Hybrid - NPC Logging
Total votes: 43 (54%)
Other (please specify)
Total votes: 1 (1%)
Total votes: 80
Captain's Log

Over in this post I was thinking about how I could use astronomical spectroscopy to collect information about distant star systems that I could then share with other players using the same map seed as me, based on alpan's idea for a "distributed star map":
ThymineC wrote:For instance, say I point a long-range scanner at a star system that's 10,000 light-years away and discover that there's a fair probability that it is rich in latinum. That information may not be immediately beneficial to me - however, I pin a note about it to the distributed star map, which other members of the community playing with the same map seed can then see. Now say that you're only a few dozen jumps from that system - then you may very well be interested in checking it out, so you go exploring and discover that my analysis was correct. Now, you may be inclined to pay me back in some way (perhaps a cut in whatever profits you make off of all that latinum wink wink nudge nudge ;) ).
I got to thinking - what if the person I choose to help out doesn't cut me back any of the profits or help me back in any other way? Well then, the next time I find a distant system possibly laden in valuable ore, I'll send my own subordinates to that system instead, even if the round-trip takes days or weeks. And this turned into a little fantasy:

Captain's Log, 11235.9 Standard Galactic.

One of Admiral Thymine's Surveyor-class vessels recently spotted a system apparently brimming with trionium, zirilium, parxite...really, quite a lot of things, all very valuable. Anyway, the admiral's put me and my crew in charge of extracting it. I can't say it's going to be easy, though - the system in question is ZYGHH-3, about 1500 light-years from our current location. Getting there and back will take about a week, and that's assuming we survive; most of the systems in the ZYG sector are dark, and according to the historical records of the region there have been quite a number of ships that have gone missing when trying to cross it, though those that made it through reported nothing unusual at all.

For now, we're docked at corporate HQ in Zaranis while my navigation officer charts a course, though we should be heading off within the hour. To be honest, I'm not quite sure what to feel right now - excitement, fear? It's been a long time since I've been given a job like this, and never through such a dangerous area of space. If the admiral's right about the system, though...within a week we could be pulling back here with several billion credit's worth of ore in our hold, and that isn't small change. And if we do run into trouble in the sector? Well, we've always beaten the odds. And if we survive, we'd certainly have some good stories to tell.

I've proposed the idea of having an automatic log-keeping mechanic in the past, in which the game logs important events that occur or actions that you take while playing the game and perhaps develops a story out of them. I know that some, such as Flatfingers, are very much in favour of such a system as well. But can this system also be applied to NPCs? Or should it solely be applied to NPCs? The point of this poll is to see how you guys would like a log-keeping system to be implemented in LT, if at all. I don't expect these logs to be anything like the one I posted above, but a string of entries giving brief information about events perhaps along with what the NPC feels about them could suffice.

The idea behind NPC logging is basically that NPCs keep logs of what they do, what they see, etc., and at any time I can request those logs from my subordinates and read them. This will work as a procedural story-generation system then, where I get to read the story of each of my NPC's. This would be particularly appealing to me if I send an NPC on a long-distance mission in which I may not be able to keep track of it or have any idea of what happens to it unless it survives the mission, returns back and I can study the log.

Furthermore, if a logging mechanic should exist for the player, should their logs be auto-generated or should they need to be manually entered? Should there be a hybrid option in which logs are automatically generated but the player is free to edit them?
Last edited by ThymineC on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Captain's Log

Supplementary Log, 11562.8 Standard Galactic

I was transporting a valuable cargo of latinum bars from Delta 213 to Gamma 41 in order to keep my production facilities running at optimum efficiency.

However, the Pirate Hardenberg had other things in mind. He sent a short but direct message to my ship. "Drop the cargo or become space debris."

I read the message quickly, my hands sweating on the console, before closing it. I had not planned this convoy with pirates in mind. I did not have defenses strong enough to stop him. Rather than risk being completely destroyed and Pirate Hardenberg claiming my cargo anyways, I chose to jettison the latinum bars. It would set my plans back a ways, but at least I would be still alive to exact my revenge. I had my ship record the pirate ships that came and took the cargo so that I could recognize them at a later time.

The next time I have latinum to transport, it will be for paying the bounty I am going to put on his head.

Pirate Hardenberg thinks he has bested me. Today he has. Tomorrow is another story. I will have his face known to every bounty hunter in the Noble 12 Systems soon enough. If he shows his face, he will have at least half a dozen bounty hunters with it in crosshairs.

I will be having the last laugh because he let me live.

Until next time.

________
END LOG
________
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

I'd like the hybrid, but instead of editing them, you could add a short description. Editing made me think, that could there be a mechanic for lieing logs?
In space, no one will hear you scream. #262626
I've never played a space sim. Ever.
Vos estis tan limes.

Behemoth wrote:I'd like the hybrid, but instead of editing them, you could add a short description. Editing made me think, that could there be a mechanic for lieing logs?
Well I don't know if there would be any gameplay value attached to the player's log. Maybe having uneditable logs would allow you to talk about your in-game exploits with other players without them calling "bullshit" on you, but if you were that determined to bullshit you could just directly alter the logs from the filesystem anyway. Editing would allow you to take the short, simple entries and create a story out of them - kind of like a narrative glue between the entries.

Behemoth wrote:My proposal was just if the logs have gameplay value. If they don't, I'd go with full manual and no NPC logging.
They may do. If one NPC gets hold of another NPC's logs, they'd have access to information that they previously didn't know about, and that could affect their behaviour.

ThymineC wrote:
Behemoth wrote:My proposal was just if the logs have gameplay value. If they don't, I'd go with full manual and no NPC logging.
They may do. If one NPC gets hold of another NPC's logs, they'd have access to information that they previously didn't know about, and that could affect their behaviour.
Integrate it with a blackbox mechanic, if you find the remnants of another ship you could extract the logs from it and so more information about whatever the ship was doing

Cornflakes_91 wrote:Integrate it with a blackbox mechanic, if you find the remnants of another ship you could extract the logs from it and so more information about whatever the ship was doing
^ this :squirrel:
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
ThymineC wrote:
Integrate it with a blackbox mechanic, if you find the remnants of another ship you could extract the logs from it and so more information about whatever the ship was doing
Yeah, I like that.
Spoiler:      SHOW
Oblivion was pretty much based on this.

Katorone wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:Integrate it with a blackbox mechanic, if you find the remnants of another ship you could extract the logs from it and so more information about whatever the ship was doing
^ this :ghost:
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

Charley_Deallus wrote:
Katorone wrote:
^ this :ghost:
^ this :thumbup:
A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week.

In magenta we trust

Online Now