Return to “Polls”

What kind of maintenance/upkeep, if any, would you find most acceptable to play with?

None at all. My ships should be free to run and stay shiny and new unless someone actually shoots them.
Total votes: 31 (15%)
Wages/Fuel/Food only.
Total votes: 30 (14%)
A constant-magnitude "wear and tear" mechanic that requires upkeep to ensure the ship's systems work properly.
Total votes: 17 (8%)
An age-dependent "wear and tear" mechanic that starts low but increases as ships get older and more used.
Total votes: 61 (29%)
I don't care as long as I can turn it down or off in the options.
Total votes: 58 (28%)
Something else, which I may or may not explain below as I see fit. You're not the boss of me, poll option!
Total votes: 6 (3%)
I have no opinions, I just like to feel included.
Total votes: 5 (2%)
Total votes: 208
Re: Wear and Tear

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
DWMagus wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:So as long as you look after it regularily you wont have any problems, but when you dont care or cant care because your supply lines are cut off you'll get problems
Unfortunately, this starts getting dangerously close to the territory of "I'm trying to explore, out in the middle of nowhere and now I have no way back because I'm too afraid something is going to break at any moment".
Nonononono!

As long as you dont do "special" things your stuff doesnt break.

Using boost capacitors or getting shot at basically.

When you are just flying and are "careful" your stuff doesnt break
That's like saying "As long as you drive carefully, you don't need to worry about a car accident." In reality, you can drive carefully, but if you get rear-ended at a stoplight, then that's something that happens to you without your control.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

hmm if there is the option to do that i would build repair/maintaince ships and have them lurking around repairing everything that looks not shiny anymore.

The ai would offer missions to maintain theyre ships, and when they are not looking i let theyre whole fleet go to dust ^^.
More people want exploding kittens than exploding ships. Somehow, this makes me happy.
- credits go to dwmagus

I like the idea of having some sort of wallet drain to handle costs like fuel and maintenance. BUT; I'm only amenable to that if things like fuel efficiency and durability can be included in the research mechanic and not just flat rates. It would add a level of choice; powerful weapons that require high maintenance, or weaker ones that don't drain the bank. I see this as adding player choice.

I also like the idea of supporting "forge ships" that may need to be included in fleets that opt for power and not durability, that can cover repairs in the field. More durable fleets may not need these expensive capital ships. Just another aspect of fleet structure to be toyed with. Josh alluded to this in the update where he equipped a ship with manufacturing capabilities. This could actually be somewhat freeing, as campaigns could last longer without needing to return to the one station where your preferred type of ammunition is store or sold. You could eventually have an entirely mobile existence. One big fleet, no stations needed :D wouldn't that be cool. Uproot your home anytime you want because your mining, construction, research and reapply are all accounted for in one fleet. I totally run a nomadic, fleet based empire.

I don't however believe that ships should age. I don't see that causing anything but headaches as you struggle to replace old ships. There's no added benefit in the way of gameplay and this is ultimately a game.

Online Now