Return to “Polls”

How many NPCs will you want to manage (directly or through subordinates)?

Total votes: 4 (3%)
1 - 2
3 - 6
Total votes: 15 (11%)
7 - 24
Total votes: 27 (20%)
25 - 99
Total votes: 22 (16%)
100 - 4,999
Total votes: 28 (20%)
5,000 - 99,999
100,000+
Total votes: 33 (24%)
Total votes: 137
Re: How Many Factional NPCs Will You Manage?

ThymineC wrote:
Flatfingers wrote:but why are the people who say they want to engage in Tactical gameplay exclusively not all choosing the "I want to manage 0 NPCs" option in this poll?
I'm mainly interested in tactical play (though I voted 2 of 3 in that other poll), and I voted 7-24 here. But when I think of how I'd manage, I'm thinking of myself more as a leader than a boss:
Image I'd very much prefer to be more involved in the tactical dogfighting myself and relying on my associates to mostly manage themselves than to be giving orders. Therefore, tactical gameplay + multiple NPC "management".
Haha. I love the ways managerialist myths perpetuate through the culture. Good find.

McDuff wrote:Haha. I love the ways managerialist myths perpetuate through the culture. Good find.
Based on what my dad does, I like to think of bosses like CPUs: they have their own work to do ("idle task"), but most of their time is spent being "interrupted" by other "processes", which involves getting feedback from them and then assigning them work to do ("direct memory access I/O").

I would love to have millions at my command, but until I know how loyal the npcs can be, I will never go past a couple dozen. In fact, I'd probably have 10 drones for every npc under my command with 5 dedicated to watch each npc even if no one would turn against me. Paranoia for safety!
An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all. - Oscar Wilde

We often refuse to accept an idea merely because the tone of voice in which it has been expressed is unsympathetic to us. - Friedrich Nietzsche

McDuff wrote:NPCs don't all have to take part in battles. A commercial empire spanning 100 or more systems will need lots of NPCs. I'm not anticipating sending every mining ship, transport and shipyard manager into battle.
So you will be the aggressor?

I suspect I will have playthroughs of different styles. Anywhere from Lone Ranger to Emperor of Space

I suspect though I will get my greatest satisfaction from small-medium faction leader play. If 100 makes a busy system, and 10 makes a sparse system, I will probably either own about 100 systems, or have tentacles throughout a large region of space, a franchise if you will.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

I voted for 100 - 4,999, because if some stations and ships were exorbitantly priced, I'd have a station per system I want to have a presence and then 25 or so, perhaps more, workers or other NPCs maintaining my company image and profits within that system. It also includes patrols to ensure the safety of my freighters and miners, and other traders I might employ, so I can see the list getting quite big. Would I have to micro-manage them all? Perhaps at a point, but per each one I acquire, assigning them to a project so they're groups into tasks would reduce that quite a lot later on. Over time I'd replace older, smaller ships with newer, larger freighters or miners, and have my machine run even more smoothly, :).

Online Now