Return to “Polls”

Should fuel be needed in spaceships?

Yes, you should need fuel for ships.
Total votes: 67 (41%)
No, fuel shouldn't be a part of gameplay.
Total votes: 78 (48%)
I have an idea between the two. (Please specify!)
Total votes: 17 (10%)
Total votes: 162
Re: Fuel?

Okay, I will clarify instead of just saying NOOO.

You could put it in a 'hardcore' mode but I personally think that there are going to be plenty of things to track in the game and fuel will only be more annoying. It would also keep your from freely exploring at the beginning without setting up some means of income. However, I think you can have fuel in the game as a requirement for certain things (I don't know about jumping, super speed, etc) that are more than just flying.
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

My idea.

TL;DR: any given ship has exactly one H-Extractor and zero to many fusion (or other conventional) reactors. H-Extractor requires no fuel. Conventional reactors do. Smaller vessels are likely to only have an H-Extractor, so fuel is not an issue for them. Larger ships may supplement power from the H-Extractor with conventional reactor power, making fuel a concern for them.

All ships use an H-drive which requires no fuel, only power.

There are conflicts between gameplay levels here.

On the large scale, it seems reasonable to suggest that a large supertanker or a capital ship should cost more to move than a small thing. It also seems reasonable to suggest that cost should scale with speed. "Fuel consumption" is one obvious way to model those costs.

On the small and medium scales, stopping every few systems to refuel is a total pain in my ass, especially if I have to sort it out for a fleet of 20 ships.

Something like Thymine's suggestion could well be a way to split that difference, with every ship getting a certain amount of "free" power before it had to start burning handwavium.

Yes. Because that's a reasonable way to support a logistical/supply game in which expansion and control of territory depends on making good resource distribution choices.

I agree completely that this effect is more fun for more people if it really only kicks in at the operational and strategic levels of play, though.

One approach is to say that the engines in smaller classes of ships are really, really efficient, and only need to tank up rarely. But the bigger the ship, the bigger -- and less efficient -- the engine, and the more fuel it needs.

Suppose that engines are fusion-based, and that all ships can scoop hydrogen from gas giants or extract it from ice (asteroids) or water (planets). A small ship could top off from a system's gas giant and then go for 10 systems without needing refueling. But a capital ship might need a large quantity of tritium, and that has to be obtained through large refineries and transported to fuel depots near -- but not too near! -- your territory's boundaries.

This design, while unrealistic in several ways, serves different gameplay interests. It keeps fueling from being too onerous for solo players, while still creating opportunities for interesting encounters at the local watering hole.

And it also insures that there are logistical gameplay challenges for players who enjoy operational and strategic play. The need for fuel refinement creates economic opportunities, and the need for depots creates strategic resource nodes that need to be defended, and from which strategic power can be projected.

So I'm for a fuel requirement, but one that only really affects you if you already enjoy playing that kind of game.
Last edited by Flatfingers on Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McDuff wrote:Something like Thymine's suggestion could well be a way to split that difference, with every ship getting a certain amount of "free" power before it had to start burning handwavium.
Other way around - it burns "free" handwavium for a while before it has to rely on deuterium/tritium fusion (something very much not handwavium). :P

But you get the gist.

I would actually love to see fuel in game, not just for the gameplay but also for the myriad industries it opens up.

Say I go out exploring, having bought enough fuel for 30 systems worth of roaming from a fuel depot, owned by my friendly neighbour McDuffcorp.
McDuffcorp is the biggest and best fuel supplier in the region, with his own mining operations and security detail.

I've been out exploring longer than I thought and realise "OH NOES! My fuel tank is nearly empty!" I stop and consider my options:

Should I call a tug from my friendly McDuffcorp and wait around for them to get out to me? Or should I risk visiting the much closer Katerone inc. who is currently at war with my faction.

I decide to risk the Katerone inc. depot. Maybe they'll let me refuel peacefully even if I have to pay exorbitant prices.

No such luck! Katerone's depot got destroyed by McDuffcorp's private military. I'm now stranded and fuelless. I call up a McDuffcorp tug and sit back waiting for it to arrive.

During the wait I take a glance at my wallet before realising I used the whole thing to fund this silly expedition!

I spend my time waiting for the tug browsing the market for people offering loans, hunting for the best deal. I find a generous 30% interest loan from ThymineB(ank) and take out enough to top up my fuel tank and buy some Just_Ice slushies.

Once the tug arrives, I forget about the Grand Slushie Plan and decide to get on with exploring. "Just fill her up and I'll be off!" I shout, as if sound travelled through space. The tug transfer beamed me some fuel until my cargohold was full, charged my account and went on it's way.

With a full tank and an empty cupholder, I took off into the unknown abyss, keeping a watchfull eye on the horizon for spare fuel in raw form I might harvest just in case I get low again.

Online Now