Return to “Polls”

How long should each of these take?

Building a new medium sized ship at a standard, middle tier shipyard should take around 3 minute or less
Total votes: 10 (2%)
Building that same ship should take around 10 minutes
Total votes: 56 (14%)
Building that same ship should take around 30 minutes
Total votes: 44 (11%)
Building that same ship should take around an hour or two or more
Total votes: 27 (7%)
Constructing a medium-sized station using middle-tier construction gear should take 5 minutes or less
Total votes: 3 (1%)
Constructing that station should take 30-60 minutes or so
Total votes: 48 (12%)
Constructing that station should take an several hours or so
Total votes: 55 (13%)
Constructing that station should take a large portion of a day or more
Total votes: 32 (8%)
An average mining trip (scan, probe, extract, haul, store) should take 5 minutes or less
Total votes: 22 (5%)
An average mining trip should take 5-15 minutes or so
Total votes: 73 (18%)
An average mining trip should take 15-30 minutes or so
Total votes: 35 (8%)
An average mining trip should take 30-60 minutes or more.
Total votes: 8 (2%)
Total votes: 413
Timescale of LT

I'd like to get a reading of how long people want activities in LT to take in real time. This doesn't take into account things like pausing to issue commands, or time acceleration, or anything, though all of those are certainly good options. So please, take the poll and let your voice be heard. There are three subtopics, and I can only make one poll. Therefor, you get three choices. Sure, you could vote for three of the same, but I'd encourage you to take it correctly.

There are no correct answers. If my poll doesn't cover your answer, please post below.
Last edited by Keon on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Keon-

(I don't have any funny quotes to put here yet. Somebody say something funny.)
Re: Timescale of LT

McDuff wrote:Where's the "this should be a user selectable option with a slider at Universe Creation time" option?
That's a good idea. This is just a quick poll, I just wanted to get a sense of what people felt were reasonable timescales for these. I certainly would like more customization. :lol: I suppose that this is just to figure out what the default settings people would prefer are.
-Keon-

Katorone wrote:I'm not sure... Where on the scale is a medium ship situated?
How much larger is it than a small ship, or smaller than the biggest ship?
I knew that would pop up. For a medium sized ship, picture what Josh is flying around in update vids, or slightly larger. Certainly not capital-sized, nor a drone fighter.
For a medium station, picture a station that has all the essentials, but barely. It's more than a storage for ore, but it isn't a big fleet hangar or anything.

I realize that definitions can vary, but the goal isn't to find an exact number.
-Keon-

Still, without an idea of function, it's very hard to guestimate what would be fair and fun. Personally, I wouldn't mind if building the biggest station would take a few IRL weeks (100h?).
I'll leave my vote be for now, we'll see when more details are known. :)
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Katorone wrote:Still, without an idea of function, it's very hard to guestimate what would be fair and fun. Personally, I wouldn't mind if building the biggest station would take a few IRL weeks (100h?).
That's an interesting idea. Does time progress when you are offline? I'd suspect something has already been decided, is this is what is being done?
-Keon-

Keon wrote:
Katorone wrote:Still, without an idea of function, it's very hard to guestimate what would be fair and fun. Personally, I wouldn't mind if building the biggest station would take a few IRL weeks (100h?).
That's an interesting idea. Does time progress when you are offline? I'd suspect something has already been decided, is this is what is being done?
there is no "offline".

either you run your game or you do not.
there cant be any progression while not there, except if you let the game run and you are AFK

Cornflakes_91 wrote:there is no "offline".

either you run your game or you do not.
there cant be any progression while not there, except if you let the game run and you are AFK
Actually, this brings up a good point.

We could have an "offline" in the technical sense of the word. Maybe an option to tick where it uses your system time to see how long between times you've played, that way the universe COULD progress if you're not playing it (using the same fast simulation that the history generation would use).

It would definitely make for some interesting concepts.

Animal Crossing checked your console's clock as well to some extent.

Hrmmm.... :think:
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

State of Decay uses such a mechanic. Usually to your detriment, as your stockpiles get reduced, your survivors get into trouble, and other sundry minor catastrophes happen. It's not simply checking the clock, though, as it "freezes" the modified gamestate after a while, to prevent you from being totally screwed over if you don't play for a week or two.

It's still a rather irksome mechanic. I can see that as an option, but not as the default mode.
Hardenberg was my name
And Terra was my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination

There's something so beautiful about seeing bell curves. It seems like the most common opinions are:

10-30 minutes for a ship
Several hours for a station
5-15 minutes for mining.

That's good info.
-Keon-

Online Now