Return to “Polls”

How long should each of these take?

Building a new medium sized ship at a standard, middle tier shipyard should take around 3 minute or less
Total votes: 10 (2%)
Building that same ship should take around 10 minutes
Total votes: 56 (14%)
Building that same ship should take around 30 minutes
Total votes: 44 (11%)
Building that same ship should take around an hour or two or more
Total votes: 27 (7%)
Constructing a medium-sized station using middle-tier construction gear should take 5 minutes or less
Total votes: 3 (1%)
Constructing that station should take 30-60 minutes or so
Total votes: 48 (12%)
Constructing that station should take an several hours or so
Total votes: 55 (13%)
Constructing that station should take a large portion of a day or more
Total votes: 32 (8%)
An average mining trip (scan, probe, extract, haul, store) should take 5 minutes or less
Total votes: 22 (5%)
An average mining trip should take 5-15 minutes or so
Total votes: 73 (18%)
An average mining trip should take 15-30 minutes or so
Total votes: 35 (8%)
An average mining trip should take 30-60 minutes or more.
Total votes: 8 (2%)
Total votes: 413
Re: Timescale of LT

ThymineC wrote:
Talvieno wrote:[...]
"Days" as in it might take me between Tuesday and Friday to make a station playing for a few hours each day, not 72 hours, especially when combined with time-skipping.

You don't necessarily have to build one station after the other. You can build many concurrently.

You can delegate protection of a partially-constructed station to (a) subordinate(s).
Ahhhhhhh. I thought you meant solid days of playing. Okay, I'm with you on this, then.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

The other thing you need to keep in mind, these have to be averages.

If you want to throw an ungodly amount of construction drones, resources, and money at it, I'm sure you could get it done pretty damn fast.

Once you're the equivelent of SpaceMart, tossing up another station or ten should be quick and easy.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Talvieno wrote:Days in real time? Even Skyrim only has around 120 of hours of gameplay in it, according to what I've read - and that's just five days.
I've logged over 500 hours in Skyrim... and it's not procedurally generating new places to explore as Limit Theory will.

Actually, that suggests a new poll question to me....
Rabiator wrote:But it might be gamed somewhat by storing a bazillon units of materials at the base, then producing a ship quickly "on demand".
Yes, in fact I meant to come back here and mention that a more elegant way of controlling construction costs would be to control the rate at which raw materials can be obtained.

You could do that in several ways: limiting the maximum size of cargo holds (not really all that effective), keeping the maximum transfer rate for transfer beams low, capping the largest typical amount of ore on asteroids to a relative small amount, or even some combination of these.

To the concern that this would feel "too slow": how would you know? ;) It's a single-player game; if you start your first game with these as the default settings, you might never know some other, more action-y pace was available.

...although comparison with RTS games might give someone a basis for thinking that (in-game) days to build a station in LT is too long....

Online Now