Return to “Polls”

Is It a Good Idea to Have a Polls Sub-Forum?

Yes
Total votes: 111 (87%)
Yes but it should be a sub-forum inside one of the others
Total votes: 8 (6%)
No
Total votes: 9 (7%)
Total votes: 128
Re: Is It a Good Idea to Have a Polls Forum?

Just_Ice_au wrote:What sort of polls were you thinking would go in here?
I was hoping for people to be able to capture the opinions of the community in more quantitative and precise ways, as it could really help me in getting a sense of what's going on / what people are thinking and wanting even if I can't keep up with every post :)

E.g. "what are you going to spend the most time doing in LT?" "what kind of ship do you want to fly?" "Would you prefer active or passive research?" etc etc. Just hoping to get clear 'snapshots' of opinions on various topics (and allow others to do the same).

Totally open to suggestions, criticism, or general ballyhoo related to this concept.
Prack wrote:No, Limit Theory should remain a totalitarian state under the rule of our glorious leader Josh.
All Hail Josh!
Don't worry, I am under no obligation to heed the advice of the polls forum :ghost: :ghost:

:P

EDIT : Also, clearly this idea has some merit, as it drew out a lurker :lol: Welcome, Prack :wave:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

That does sound useful. I know even I'm having trouble keeping up with the suggestions forum lately, I can't imagine you have the time to read everything.

I vote yes :thumbup:

also, Welcome Prack! (You have now been greeted by representatives from the Elder Council, Moderator team, and even the glorious leader himself. Auspicious start. :lol: )
- The Snark Knight

"Look upward, and share the wonders I've seen."

I'm actually against it.

Besides shenanigans like sock-puppet voting accounts and other sundry things*, I believe democracy is overrated when it comes to game design**. Nothing great was ever designed by a committee, and while I appreciate user input, I prefer to see it worded and discussed, not reduced to an option and having the faceless masses decide; what the majority agrees to be the best course on might not be the best solution, after all.

* = Ever seen the goons f*ck up a game? Not a pretty sight.
** = It's also the general suppression of the minority, which sucks hard if you belong to said minority. Hello Switzerland, btw.

Yeah, Josh is free to ignore any poll results, but it's not that easy from a psychological point to simply ignore the bias shown by a poll result. And it also gives you bad press if you open up something for vote and then simply ignore said vote.
Hardenberg was my name
And Terra was my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination

Hardenberg wrote:Yeah, Josh is free to ignore any poll results, but it's not that easy from a psychological point to simply ignore the bias shown by a poll result. And it also gives you bad press if you open up something for vote and then simply ignore said vote.
Personally, I'd only expect Josh to act on polls he created (and populated) himself. If he asks a question and provides a few choices, then I would think he'd be fine with any choice being the most popular one.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Hardenberg wrote:Yeah, Josh is free to ignore any poll results, but it's not that easy from a psychological point to simply ignore the bias shown by a poll result. And it also gives you bad press if you open up something for vote and then simply ignore said vote.
Much as I enjoy the "spice" you bring to the forums Hardenberg you have little knowledge of the man you are talking about. Josh doesn't agonize over the results of polls. He is obviously curious about the general feeling of the community concerning the game but it takes more than that to bend his will. I speak from close proximity experience which included some very polite refusals.

I consider what Josh is offering here to be a gift for members. I would certainly request that everyone gives his proposal serious consideration before rejecting it. :)

Online Now