Return to “Suggestions”

Crosshair / Reticle Visibility (resolved)

Hello all,

I didn't want my first post to be the bug report that I will soon to be posting, and wanted to share my thoughts and a suggestion I had about this prototype. First off I wanted to say this is an outstanding pre alpha, and a good taste of what is to come. Really like the fell, and very clever layout of things in the hud and interface menus. It gives the game a unique, and new feel. And the combat npc AI is outstanding, and makes for a real challenge. Thank you Josh for your hard work on this. I have been looking forward to this, and am having a blast with LTP.

The only gripe/issue I have had so far is wile in combat I sometimes lose track of my mouse pointer/targeting ring in the background as it is almost clear. If we could have a setting sort of like you have for the interface menu to change the brightness or color of it to make it more visible. I have just played this for a few hours now, so not to far along. But I will post any other ideas or suggestions as I get further along.

Thanks again :D
Crosshair/Reticle

Based on a lot of the feedback I'd like to suggest a drop shadow (or black outer glow) for the targeter in the game to easily distinguish it from any background. Now that you have an art person he'll have some good ideas for it, but that seemed like a simple one.
woops, my bad, everything & anything actually means specific and conformed
Re: Crosshair/Reticle

Yes! Becomes incredibly difficult to know where that reticle is when you're staring at a sun or being pelted by a shitstorm of enemy fire!

LOOP
Last edited by jawdan on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“The impact of space activities is nothing less than the galvanizing of hope and imagination for human life continuum into a future of infinite possibility.”

Well damn...now what? Cross hairs that change colour so they stand out from the background? HMMM
“The impact of space activities is nothing less than the galvanizing of hope and imagination for human life continuum into a future of infinite possibility.”

Perhaps it should just invert whatever color it's currently pointing at dynamically? No idea at all if that would look nice or be possible performance wise but it should be effective.

Black space => White reticle
Bright Yellow sun => Dark Blue reticle
Red nebulae => Green reticle

matthewfarmery wrote:pretty much like my pre set colours, but yes having an option to automatically invert the colours would be good too
Yeah the problem with presets would be that systems easilly can have many different colors, red nebulae, black background, blue planet, grey planet, brown dense asteroidfield and bright green sun.

The presets would need to take into account all major objects and find a single reticle color that doesn't blend with any of them.

It does not necessarily have to be a major project - or configurable. =)

Add a dark border and you have good contrast on any background.

In this quick mock-up the crosshairs have the vanilla (overall) brightness of 56% and the border 25%.
It may not sound like a lot but it's a major difference in contrast. (me being a stickler for contrast =)
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.
Attachments
cross.jpg
cross.jpg (9.51 KiB) Viewed 3786 times

Gazz wrote: Add a dark border and you have good contrast on any background.
Nice job. That looks like a very simple, elegant and effective solution. The dark border will never blend with bright backgrounds and the white inside will never blend with darker backgrounds :)

Online Now