Return to “Suggestions”

Ship Interface Suggestions

Can't exit it without pressing spacebar and pressing the ship button again. Not a big deal not a big deal at all, but a little bit unintuitve.

I have pretty much JUST entered the game. Lemme at it!!!
“The impact of space activities is nothing less than the galvanizing of hope and imagination for human life continuum into a future of infinite possibility.”
Re: Ship Interface

jawdan wrote:Can't exit it without pressing spacebar and pressing the ship button again. Not a big deal not a big deal at all, but a little bit unintuitve.

I have pretty much JUST entered the game. Lemme at it!!!
Yeah, I agree it is. I almost always just use the hotkey (C by default), so I forget how bad it is to access manually :(
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Also, I'll put these here. But it's very annoying if you're trying to purchase something and you have it selected on your cargo and you don't have enough room. Can it just autochange to Storage if there isn't enough room? I'm just going to have it defaulted on Storage from now on.

When you're docked, why not always display the top menu bar? Saves a click. I'm all for efficiency and streamlining! :P
“The impact of space activities is nothing less than the galvanizing of hope and imagination for human life continuum into a future of infinite possibility.”

jawdan wrote:Also, I'll put these here. But it's very annoying if you're trying to purchase something and you have it selected on your cargo and you don't have enough room. Can it just autochange to Storage if there isn't enough room? I'm just going to have it defaulted on Storage from now on.
The UI is amazing for a prototype version but everyone would agree that it needs more polish.

Auto-changing to storage is not such a good idea for the final game because you will probably travel more instead of being stuck with 1 or 2 stations.

But yes, there should be a clearer indication of the storage available at the destination.
And if the free space is too low to place the item you have selected, it would be in the same colour as "too expensive" items.
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Gazz wrote: And if the free space is too low to place the item you have selected, it would be in the same colour as "too expensive" items.
Actually, I'd like it to be a different color. (say, purple or something). Because my mind automatically filters out everything in that "too expensive" color. I don't want to miss out on buying something good, just because there is no room in the cargo of the ship, but plenty in storage
display(Rndom.signature);

Also, not sure if you guys have the same issue but I tend to keep my windows open and...frankly, I do not have enough space to see everything. I had my Ship, Buy, Sell and Cargo screens open and it's starting to look a little cluttered. :lol:
In Josh we trust.
interface suggestions

I think that the options avaiable in the RTS mode should also be avaiable in the "combat" mode:

- You should be able to tell your ship^to dock/follow/etc a target by clicking into (right click ?)
- You should be able to give orders to your other ships by clicking into
- The RTS interface should be avaiable when docked

my main gripe with the interface / HUD are the icons, the target reticle is too dim for me, and the red icons for the enemie ships also blend in too much, so hard to see where they are, so if it was possible to change their colours or even have pre sets depending on the solar system colour background, that would be great, right now, its just not easy for me to see where the stuff is on the screen, as the icons are too dim

but loving the game so far,
Re: Ship Interface Suggestions

Assets window:

Eventually the ship list will need a display for damage / readiness. One thing would be useful:
  • Any value that has changed since you last looked at that window has a coloured background / halo.
  • If the value has gone down (and if down means bad), it's backed in red.
    If it went up, in green.
  • The second time you look at the same (now unchanged) value, it has the same background - only half or 1/3 as visible.
  • 3rd time the background is gone.
  • True timed fading sounds good on paper but it typically only works on the artist's high-quality monitor. On "normal" monitors, it's all a haze.
    Besides, most people fail to see colour values with any accuracy. clear basic colour and brightness differences are much better tools.
    No, I'm not trying to tell the artist how to do his job. At least I'm trying not to, okay? =)
Extension:
  • The two suggested steps could be a config setting.
    Some may want 1 "notification" only, or none at all, others (if they have a lot of ships?) to have it fade out in 3 or 4 steps.
    Implementation-wise it's a number one way or the other.
That gives you a brief history about which ships took damage and when... without overloading the screen with dates and diagrams.
Of course, you also get at-a-glance information on any ships that have taken damage recently - or have been repaired, or are currently under repair...

Dangit! Colour blindness again!
  • Instead of a solid background, use something like this:
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.
Attachments
updown.jpg
updown.jpg (6.17 KiB) Viewed 1490 times

Online Now