Return to “Bugs & Technical Issues”

How to report a bug

If you think you found a bug...
  • please check if it has been reported before. In that case it is more useful to add your information to the existing topic about it.
  • Only one bug per topic. If you report 5 different ones in the same post then some will inevitably get lost.
    If there is only one bug, this topic can eventually be marked as [fixed] and this will hopefully prevent lots of double reports.
    And if you have additional or more accurate information about it, by all means add it to the topic!
Please include this information in your report:
  • Game Version. It is displayed on the launcher window as well as ingame on the main menu.
  • Description.
    Be specific.
    What were you doing? Did you have an active mission? What weapons were you using? Were you docked?
    This is CSI Limit Theory. You collect all the data you can but you can not know which trivial detail will convict the suspect.
  • You get a cookie if you can provide the exact steps to reproduce it.
    If you can reproduce it in a new game, that's super awesome.
    If you can only reproduce it in your savegame but not in a new game, that's also a huge help.
    In the latter case, attach the savegame, which is located in %userprofile%\My Documents\My Games\LT Prototype\saves
  • Limit Theory log files.
    Log files are found in:
    %userprofile%\My Documents\My Games\LT Prototype
    If they are short (usually are), just copy/paste them into the report. Otherwise attach them as a zip file.
Specs of computer

Not all issues are hardware related but if you are not sure, please include this additional information.
If you're tech savvy you know the routine, of course, but for everyone else:

On Windows systems you should have a "My Computer" icon on the desktop. Right-click it and select properties.
Now you can see:
  • Operating system. (like Windows 7 Professional)
  • Type of system. (32 or 64 bit)
  • Installed memory. (like 4,00 GB)
On this window you should also have an entry for "Device Manager" on the top left.
If you click that, you can look up your
  • Graphics Card.
    Very important.
Note that you can add this information to your forum profile under User Control Panel -> Profile. That way you only have to dig it up once and it's only a single click away if Josh needs it.
(Other forum members cannot see this information)

The difficult part about fixing bugs is not the knowing that they exist - it's finding out why and how they occur. That's the reason why we are asking for such a lot of information.
And now... good hunting! =)
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.
Quickload not working after death

This is an example bug report. One that I had actually submitted for the Prototype.

Proto v1.00

If you Quickload while the "you died" window is on screen, the load is successful. (back in the asteroid base)

Then you click OK on the "you died" window to get it out of the way... and you die.
You go back to the main menu without a game active.
You have to reload again.

Reproduce:
- die
- Quickload
- click OK on the "you died" window

Win 7, 64 Bit, 4 GB RAM (note that you can add this information to your forum profile under User Control Panel -> Profile)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560

[Warning] Missing <seed> in <vert_notransform.jsl,frag_gen_plating2.jsl>
Cleaning Up <Loader Handler>
Cleaning Up <PhysicsEngine>
Cleaning Up <SimulationEngine>
Cleaning Up <SoundEngine (irrKlang)>
Successfully unloaded all modules.

See? That's not so bad.
In this case I could have skipped system specs and log file because it happens every time and is in no way related to how the game displays things.
An accurate description means that Josh doesn't waste a lot of time hunting it down. As his employers, we do care about that. =)
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Online Now