Return to “Bugs & Technical Issues”

Re: Papers, please! Your system specs...

I'd have no issues with an updated prototype collecting technical hardware/software information from my system. If this would aid in the development of Limit Theory, I'd be more than willing to help out. Indeed, perhaps make it an opt-in setting in the prototype, so people can choose whether to allow for it or not.

Just to be sure, I updated my "computer specs" profile setting. The prototype is running great on my system, even though my graphics card seems to be working *very* hard and making quite a bit of noise, even when I'm just in the prototype's menu. Could this be caused by the currently missing vsync option (making the graphics card try and render as many frames per second as possible)?

CatInSpace wrote:I'd have no issues with an updated prototype collecting technical hardware/software information from my system. If this would aid in the development of Limit Theory, I'd be more than willing to help out. Indeed, perhaps make it an opt-in setting in the prototype, so people can choose whether to allow for it or not.

Just to be sure, I updated my "computer specs" profile setting. The prototype is running great on my system, even though my graphics card seems to be working *very* hard and making quite a bit of noise, even when I'm just in the prototype's menu. Could this be caused by the currently missing vsync option (making the graphics card try and render as many frames per second as possible)?
Yes, it is almost certainly because of the missing vsync option :)
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Katorone wrote:Perhaps people would be willing to opt-in to an automated survey through the prototype?

Something that would list hardware, temperature when playing, fps, disk I/O... Stuff like that?
I second that, would be valuable information for Josh, so he can generate a report matching similar hardware, average fps and whatnot.

hunting for that info in profiles must be a pain.

Henrique Vignon wrote:hunting for that info in profiles must be a pain.
It was never intended to be a perfect solution - only as a useful tool.
  • 100% voluntary - no ifs or buts
  • prevents users from bloating their posts or even sig lines with system spec gibberish
  • if a problem is reported, the system info is always one click away instead of having to reference a completely different database that the LT client generates
  • it has cost 0 development time (Josh rather... found out that the forum had developed such a feature. =)
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

I've just posted mine. If you need to know how to do this, and you're not terribly tech-savvy, follow these instructions:
  • Open the program "Run." You can do this by pressing the Windows Key + R, or by searching accessories in the Start Menu
  • Type dxdiag into the text bar and hit enter. Give it a moment to pull up your information.
  • Press "Save All Information..." at the bottom, and choose a place to save your link.
  • If you have a Dropbox account, drop the file in your public folder and paste the public link in the relevant field of your User Control Panel.
  • If you don't have a Dropbox account, open .txt you saved.
  • Right-click, select all. Right-click again, copy.
  • Go to Pastebin and right-click paste the text in.
  • Enter a relevant title down at the bottom. (You may wish to set this to "Unlisted" under Paste Exposure if you don't want people looking up your system stats.)
  • Press Submit. (You don't need an account to do this.) It'll probably give you a captcha. Just fill it out and continue.
  • You will be directed to your Pastebin page for your Dxdiag. It'll look like this.
  • Copy/paste the URL and put it into the relevant field in your User Control Panel.
This tutorial brought to you by the Internet Background Radiation.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

Katorone wrote:On Ubuntu (and probably most other distro's) you can use 'hardinfo' to give you a nice overview.

Is the output of glxinfo of any use?
Yes. GLXInfo would actually be more useful as Josh is using OGL and not DX.

As useful as the dxdiag information would be, I don't believe it is necessary. I'm assuming Gazz overlooked that small bit. ;)
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Gazz wrote:They can supply a link to a poem about why they are not using Windows.
:lol:
Grumblesaur wrote:I've just posted mine. If you need to know how to do this, and you're not terribly tech-savvy, follow these instructions:
  • Open the program "Run." You can do this by pressing the Windows Key + R, or by searching accessories in the Start Menu
  • Type dxdiag into the text bar and hit enter. Give it a moment to pull up your information.
  • Press "Save All Information..." at the bottom, and choose a place to save your link.
  • If you have a Dropbox account, drop the file in your public folder and paste the public link in the relevant field of your User Control Panel.
  • If you don't have a Dropbox account, open .txt you saved.
  • Right-click, select all. Right-click again, copy.
  • Go to Pastebin and right-click paste the text in.
  • Enter a relevant title down at the bottom. (You may wish to set this to "Unlisted" under Paste Exposure if you don't want people looking up your system stats.)
  • Press Submit. (You don't need an account to do this.) It'll probably give you a captcha. Just fill it out and continue.
  • You will be directed to your Pastebin page for your Dxdiag. It'll look like this.
  • Copy/paste the URL and put it into the relevant field in your User Control Panel.
This tutorial brought to you by the Internet Background Radiation.
Whoa nice...that's a lot of information :shock:
DWMagus wrote:
Katorone wrote:On Ubuntu (and probably most other distro's) you can use 'hardinfo' to give you a nice overview.

Is the output of glxinfo of any use?
Yes. GLXInfo would actually be more useful as Josh is using OGL and not DX.

As useful as the dxdiag information would be, I don't believe it is necessary. I'm assuming Gazz overlooked that small bit. ;)
This is actually extremely useful. It shows exactly what GL features you can support, which is really the most relevant thing possible for me :thumbup:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

DWMagus wrote:As useful as the dxdiag information would be, I don't believe it is necessary. I'm assuming Gazz overlooked that small bit. ;)
Actually, Gazz has never used Linux and has never heard of glxinfo.

Feel free to adapt profile field description or the "Papers, please!" post as needed.

All I did was put in "a" field so these things can properly be linked with a user account. =)
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Online Now