Return to “Bugs & Technical Issues”

Prototype running on wrong monitor / screen

Hi there,

I recently installed the prototype again because I wanted to make some Gameplay-Videos on my YouTube-Channel.

When I played the prototype last year, I only had 1 monitor with no full-hd support.
Now I have a 2 monitor setup and I am using my old monitor as a second screen.
The problem now is, that the prototype keeps running on the old monitor instead of my new (main) one.
I already uninstalled the game, cleared the registry of LTheory contents and reinstalled it, but it keeps running on the wrong monitor.

Since it remembers my settings even after uninstall, I figure there must be some kind of config-file stored somewhere else, which I guess, I have to delete after uninstalling.
Unfortunately I can't find it (if there is one).

Can anyone help me, please? :)
(I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit if that helps.)

Greet'z
Re: Prototype running on wrong monitor / screen

I think it stored the configs somewhere in C:\Users\<insert user name here>\AppData\Local or in C:\Users\<insert user name here>\Documents\my games\LT Prototype

Also, when you go into your screen properties, which monitor shows as the primary one? I had something similar happen and after I set the other monitor as the main display, the issue cleared up.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Try switching the video connections on your PC.
So the samsung on the port where the benq was connected and vice versa.

I dont expect much, just something i would try.

Or disconnect the secondary monitor, run the game, and after you had it up and running to the gameworld, turn it of again, connect the second monitor and start the game again.

Same as the above

Okay, a couple things, so forgive the stupid questions, but I'm going to run through the idiot check first;

Try updating your video card drivers and see if that helps. If not, can you attach your config file to your post and I'll look through it? I'm not at home right now so I wouldn't be able to let you know which file is the config file. I can update this post tonight with the specific location once I have that.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Hmm, sorry Zoom, I'm really not sure what to say about this. AFAIK I do not have control over which monitor is chosen - if you start in fullscreen I would have thought it would take the primary monitor.

Here's an idea - in the LTP launcher, under video mode, try scrolling down more and see if you can find a second instance of the same resolution that you chose. It's likely that the launcher will enumerate display modes for both monitors, and perhaps your old monitor is just being enumerated first. Unfortunately the options don't say anything about which monitor is being used, but I suspect you may see two sets of display modes, where one corresponds to your old monitor and one to the new. Try playing around with those and let me know if it helps!
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

@Cornflakes_91
Well, that's strange...
I disconnected the old monitor and the game didn't show up at all.
I connected the new monitor to the secondary port and it worked.
I connected the old monitor to the primary port and the new monitor to the secondary port and it works as well, although windows tells me, that the new monitor is now the secondary one.

@DWMagus
All system drivers, including video card drivers, are up to date.
There is a config.bin and a config.txt
The content of the config.txt is

Code: Select all

enableaudio=true
enablevsync=true
fullscreen=true
gpuschedulertime=0.06667
init=true
meshquality=4
screenheight=1080
screenwidth=1920
And the content of config.bin is

Code: Select all

GraphicsFog	ParticlesBloomAAContrast   ?  €?  À?	Interface
Primary ColorÍÌÌ=   ?  €?Command Interface ColorÍÌÌ=   ?  €?	Friendly Target Color  €>  €?  €>
Hostile Target Color  €?        Crosshair Size  HB  ðA  ŒB
Panel Opacity  @?      €?Controls

Aim AssistAutomatic TargetingLook Sensitivity  À?   ?  @@	Main Menu G   Toggle Top Bar Y   Ship Viewer    Command Interface    Asset Viewer    Pilot Viewer    Thrust Forward    Thrust Backward     Strafe Left!     "Strafe Right#    $Roll CCW%    &Roll CW'    (Fire Weapons)    *Target Nearest Enemy+    ,Target Cursor Object-    .Toggle Camera Lock/    0
Free Mouse1 `   2Reload3    4Dock5     6
Toggle Cruise7     8Toggle 1st/3rd Person9 [   :(Command) Frame Selection;    <
Quick Load=     >
Quick Save?     @Take ScreenshotA .   '!(Command) Frame SelectionControls:
AAGraphicsAim AssistControls
Asset ViewerControlsAutomatic TargetingControls
BloomGraphics Command Interface ColorInterfaceCommand InterfaceControlsContrastGraphicsCrosshair SizeInterfaceDockControls4Fire WeaponsControls(FogGraphicsFree MouseControls0Friendly Target ColorInterface	Hostile Target ColorInterface
Look SensitivityControlsMain MenuControlsPanel OpacityInterfaceParticlesGraphicsPilot ViewerControlsPrimary ColorInterfaceQuick LoadControls<Quick SaveControls>ReloadControls2Roll CCWControls$Roll CWControls&Ship ViewerControlsStrafe LeftControls Strafe RightControls"Take ScreenshotControls@Target Cursor ObjectControls,Target Nearest EnemyControls*Thrust BackwardControlsThrust ForwardControlsToggle 1st/3rd PersonControls8Toggle Camera LockControls.Toggle CruiseControls6Toggle Top BarControls?  €?          à  XA  €?  €?  à  XA                    x²Ã            ?      €?     
õ6ýÿ?  €?          ö  B  õB  B  ö  B                    ˜°Ã                   €?  €?/ .á6p׳U MÆ     PÌÆ                 X¹Ã     
I can upload the config.bin somewhere if you wish.

@Josh
It seems, the game is outputted on the secondary port of my video card, regardless which monitor is set to be the main one in windows itself.
In the launcher every resolution is unique and there is no other set of resolutions there.
I tried different resolutions but with no effect on which monitor the game runs.

I'm sorry Zoom, I'm not sure what else to say - this is clearly some kind of weird issue that I have not seen before with respect to how the game chooses the display mode. I will look into again to make sure it does not happen in the release, but I do not have the ability to patch LTP at this time :(

In the mean time, please just use windowed mode so you can move the game where you want it. Sorry for the inconvenience!
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

@Josh
That's no problem ;) I didn't expect a patch for the prototype ;)
I'll stick with switched connections to record the footage in full hd. :)

I just updated my system specs in my profile and uploaded the DxDiag file.

[a few moments later]

I just took a closer look at DxDiag and saw something interesting.
Although windows tells me now, the new monitor (BenQ) is connected to the secondary port and the old monitor (Samsung) to the primary, it seems DxDiag tells me the opposite.
Maybe that has something to do with the problem.

@all
Thank you for all your answers and all your effort to help me! :)

Online Now