Return to “Bugs & Technical Issues”

1.1 Game 'pausing' asset generation when tabbed-out

Noticed this on my older GPU. Not sure if it's also in the earlier versions, but noticed it in 1.1.

When the game is initially loading, if you alt-tab out so the program loses focus, the generating of assets is also paused. I'm guessing that since one request was to pause the game when it is not in focus, this also is affected.

Why is it an issue for me? Well, on this GPU, it's a bit slow (older FireGL), and it's easier to alt-tab to do something else while I wait for it to load (I already run in a window on this machine).

A second issue I discovered that wasn't in 1.0, was that whenever the alt-menu was present, the mouse could leave the window. Now, in 1.1, the only way to get the mouse to leave the window is via alt-tab. Not sure if this is intentional, or a byproduct of some of the UI optimizations.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
Re: 1.1 Game 'pausing' asset generation when tabbed-out

DWMagus wrote:Noticed this on my older GPU. Not sure if it's also in the earlier versions, but noticed it in 1.1.

When the game is initially loading, if you alt-tab out so the program loses focus, the generating of assets is also paused. I'm guessing that since one request was to pause the game when it is not in focus, this also is affected.

Why is it an issue for me? Well, on this GPU, it's a bit slow (older FireGL), and it's easier to alt-tab to do something else while I wait for it to load (I already run in a window on this machine).

A second issue I discovered that wasn't in 1.0, was that whenever the alt-menu was present, the mouse could leave the window. Now, in 1.1, the only way to get the mouse to leave the window is via alt-tab. Not sure if this is intentional, or a byproduct of some of the UI optimizations.
I have noticed this as well. It is actually not true that asset generation has stopped, although the wheel does stop spinning, so it seems as though nothing is happening. However, if you alt-tab and come back later, you will find that the loading screen will likely disappear immediately, because everything loaded while you were gone. I need to fix the icon so that it doesn't stop animating when the game pauses (because the scheduler is still working at full speed).

Also, it was intentional that the game now captures the mouse at all times - I think this is correct behavior for a game. I don't think it should be the case that the game "sometimes" captures the mouse when it is active, as this is confusing (and somewhat arbitrary). So it's true, you will now have to alt-tab to get your mouse back from the game :)
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Online Now