Return to “General”

Impressed

I have been following the daily dev logs for a couple of months and actually went back and read the previous entries. After reading the previous couple of entries, my feelings regarding Limit Theory and it's development could not be contained. A bit cliche', but I felt that strongly.

Reading the entries they are well thought out, on a wide range of topics. This includes, but is not limited to economics, thought, spacial reasoning, and prioritizing. There is also graphics, who can forget the graphics :shifty: . The fact that this is not 'pie in the sky' thinking but using human reasoning to intuit the best possible way to develop an AI and implementing these ideas is no small feat. Following AI research for a number of years, this approach is not novel, but the way it is articulated and how it is being developed is possibly the best that has been done. To be fair it can only be tested against the actual game, but it is half as good as it is made out to be it will be twice as good as what is currently out there :clap:.

I can see in a couple of years after this game has been launched that this AI is licensed to other games. And it is not just games, the real world applications of a truly strong AI are staggering. While this may be a bit much as the game has not been released, I wanted to be one of the first to say that I believe it is the AI that will set this game apart. Graphics are critical, UI is critical, but each of those has been done exceedingly well in other games. There is no game out there that has done AI exceedingly well, and I believe that is what will set Limit Theory apart from everything else :shock:.

Impressed, is the word I want to use. I look forward to testing out this game and to see your ideas in code :) .
Re: Impressed

Welcome to the forums!

I think if Josh ever did license even a small portion of what's in the LT engine, he'd be set for life.

Really makes me wonder where he'll go from here and whether or not his computer will implode from the sheer amount of awesome he is programming in. :D
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Hey Pellus, welcome and thanks! Really appreciate the sincere and kind words :)

I'm really hoping that the AI becomes the soul of LT. As you said, so many games overlook it - but at the same time, so many games just aren't designed in a context that would make AI important even if it were done well...so it's understandable I suppose. But LT is really the perfect kind of game to let the AI shine!! :D

Let's hope you're right that it turns out awesome :)

(I think it will :shifty: :monkey: )

Anddd don't worry DW, I'm sure I'll find something to do after LT :roll:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:Anddd don't worry DW, I'm sure I'll find something to do after LT :roll:
I'm betting you're going on a well earned vacation after LT is launched. :D
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

I'm hoping that the AI is adaptable to other games as well, particularly (for me) the 4x genre. I want to play against an AI that is unpredictable and cunning. :shifty:

But yes, reading up on the progress of the AI makes me want to play it now so bad. :(
In Josh we trust.

Katorone wrote:
JoshParnell wrote:Anddd don't worry DW, I'm sure I'll find something to do after LT :roll:
I'm betting you're going on a well earned vacation after LT is launched. :D
… or back to the classroom. Remember, Josh is currently on a leave.

Although it is a little hard to imagine what he could still learn in the classroom. Perhaps he'll teach his teachers? :mrgreen:

Commander McLane wrote:Although it is a little hard to imagine what he could still learn in the classroom. Perhaps he'll teach his teachers? :mrgreen:
I guess he wouldn't be the first who gets an academic grade for things he realised away from school? :)
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Online Now