Return to “General”

Weapon generation in prototype

So i find that my favorite weapons are beams (for their auto-lock, and even the low-end versions not having clips), and I'd really like to try missiles. But these seem to be extremely sparse, while high-end guns are basically all pulse types.

On the one hand, this has forced me to learn to actually aim, but still. Not that I don't appreciate my destroyer-chewing Gamma Hadron Accelerators, but I want my phasers and photon torpedoes! :think: I've noticed that what was once a diverse array of offerings seems to have settled into the same list each time I start a new game - is there some sort of log file that the game draws from for things it's randomed up, and can I delete that to try and draw a new deck of weaponry? Or is random chance just mocking me? (like it usually does)
Re: Weapon generation in prototype

squidheadjax wrote:So i find that my favorite weapons are beams (for their auto-lock, and even the low-end versions not having clips), and I'd really like to try missiles. But these seem to be extremely sparse, while high-end guns are basically all pulse types.

On the one hand, this has forced me to learn to actually aim, but still. Not that I don't appreciate my destroyer-chewing Gamma Hadron Accelerators, but I want my phasers and photon torpedoes! :think: I've noticed that what was once a diverse array of offerings seems to have settled into the same list each time I start a new game - is there some sort of log file that the game draws from for things it's randomed up, and can I delete that to try and draw a new deck of weaponry? Or is random chance just mocking me? (like it usually does)
The weapon selection in LTP is fairly strange. IIRC there's only one type of missile, and it's pretty lame, so I'm afraid missiles aren't a great strategy in LTP 1 (unless you get...erm....12 or so of them). I believe Gamma Hadron is as powerful as it gets by a fairly wide margin, and I don't recall any beam weapon being close to that. The weapons are procedural (and fairly poorly-balanced / random), so...that's why the selection is so weird :roll:

As for your luck, ....sounds like you're just getting unlucky :ghost: But, depending on what system you're in, you could try taking the lanes over to another station and see if you can find something better there ;)
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Aww I'm sad now. Guess I'll just have to anxiously await the beta.

Speaking of which, now that I'm working on a squadron to support the destroyer I'm ordering around (I stick to driving my nimbler frigate), I'm finding gathering the ship components to be much harder than affording them. I do hope that in the full game, we'll have the ability to bid out buy orders that NPCs will fill. :)

squidheadjax wrote:Aww I'm sad now. Guess I'll just have to anxiously await the beta.

Speaking of which, now that I'm working on a squadron to support the destroyer I'm ordering around (I stick to driving my nimbler frigate), I'm finding gathering the ship components to be much harder than affording them. I do hope that in the full game, we'll have the ability to bid out buy orders that NPCs will fill. :)
Yes, well, as you've noticed LTP is in no way balanced :D

Mainly because none of it is driven by a real economy as the true LT will be. And the fact that in the real thing you'll be able to travel from system to system in search of good equipment will also help ;)
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Online Now