Return to “General”

Re: Where to be notified about code release, and any fan-based projects to bring LT-like games to life using code?

DWMagus wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:18 am
Borland Turbo C++ forever! :mrgreen:
What is this "++" of which you speak? ;)

Borland's Turbo C was how I taught myself C in 1987, and used it to write a data-migration program for work that did in five minutes what had been taking all night. (Some time with a hex editor was also necessary on that one.)

Then I used it to write a VGA function library for games... pretty sure I've still got that code on my machine today somewhere.

All hail Turbo C! Chasing pointer bugs was awful, but that was C's fault, not yours.
Re: Where to be notified about code release, and any fan-based projects to bring LT-like games to life using code?

Flatfingers wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:45 pm
DWMagus wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:18 am
Borland Turbo C++ forever! :mrgreen:
What is this "++" of which you speak? ;)

Borland's Turbo C was how I taught myself C in 1987, and used it to write a data-migration program for work that did in five minutes what had been taking all night. (Some time with a hex editor was also necessary on that one.)

Then I used it to write a VGA function library for games... pretty sure I've still got that code on my machine today somewhere.

All hail Turbo C! Chasing pointer bugs was awful, but that was C's fault, not yours.
This '++' I speak of is from a more civilized age. We weren't rogue cowboys by ignoring OO. :mrgreen:
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Talvieno wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:18 pm
kaeroku wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:04 pm
Beginning to end, the lack of transparency and forthcoming in this project is an enormous disappointment.
Simply put, this is false. Josh has been far, far more transparent than the great majority of video game developers - even if we entirely exclude anything made by AAA companies. Tunic, for instance, has released exactly two updates in the past year, and only to those that subscribed to their mailing list. This is not at all unusual! While Josh has certainly had such periods of silence, they were by far not the norm.

Adding up all of Josh's announcement/update/devlog posts, we have...
  • 50 Announcement topics
  • 53 post-silence topics
  • 834 daily devlog posts
...for a total of 937 updates - not counting Kickstarter posts he didn't announce on the forums, of which there were many, or counting Elder Council posts, or any of the other 3,000+ posts he's made on the forum.

Five years and 9 months is about 2099 days. So, 937 over 2099 days?

That's an average of one post every 2.2 days.

Be patient. He will release it when it's ready.
You're correct, my choice of terminology was poor. The lack of commitment to stated intentions and follow-through of same, then, are what are a disappointment.

Talvieno wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:36 pm
The backers deserve something, and they shouldn't have to wait for it. I think everyone has been more than patient enough already.
Talvieno wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:18 pm
<snip>
Be patient. He will release it when it's ready.

I do find the dichotomy (and sequence) of these two statements quite entertaining.

Rather, it's completely out of context and from a completely different conversation. "Be patient" here means "a couple months" where in the other conversation it meant "several more years".

Kaeroku, don't twist my words to suit your own purposes. It's not a very polite thing to do. We're better than that.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:42 pm
Kaeroku, don't twist my words to suit your own purposes. It's not a very polite thing to do. We're better than that.
That wasn't my intent Tal (or Flat.) I said amused, I didn't say anything which was intended to either twist or draw conclusions. Just directly quoted, and noted the distinction. Duke is correct: one is thoughts regarding what is right, the other is caution about how the audience should react. Apologies, if my intentions were somehow misconstrued or misrepresented.

DWMagus wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:59 pm

If you're referring to the forums, then yeah. Why? Because the forums here were not created to be about how bad he is or LT is. Much like the walmart.com site doesn't tolerate people who just go on to complain about walmart. That's why the people created walmartsucks.com. it's also why when I was a mod, I redirected people to Kickstarter or to come up with their own community on the same idea -- not just because it isn't what this place is for, but also because those venues are more 'official' than a mostly community-run forums here. Although, I won't deny you your frustration. I had heard much the same via backchannels from MANY more.

Also, to be fair, there are very few forums run by developers that will allow true 'neutral' speech. If you hop onto Blizzards or EA's forums and talk about how bad their studios are, chances are you'd get banned or at the very least, asked to go elsewhere. This place is no different. Just because there is no 'officially sanctioned gripe forums' provided by the developer, doesn't mean you're not free to create your own.

Seriously. This last bit still pisses me off and it's very evident that everyone here who had gripes felt that if they can't express how upset they are on the official forums they don't seem competent enough to find a different place to do it and that this was an infringement on their freedom of speech.
Walmart, Blizzard and EA are also not crowd funded companies. Apples to Oranges.
My Signature

Zanteogo wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:42 am
Walmart, Blizzard and EA are also not crowd funded companies. Apples to Oranges.
Giving money to something does not automatically make you exempt from the rules of the place, regardless of whether the money was for an outright purchase or donated/funded via a different mechanism.

I stand by the statement that if the rules of the place you're in are broken, it doesn't matter if you've given money, are a corporate entity, or whatever. You're beholden to those rules and if you don't like it, go elsewhere. And just because there doesn't exist an 'official' place for you to air your grievances, doesn't mean you're not allowed them. You're just not allowed them on that specific venue.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Online Now