Return to “General”

Don't release the code yet

Hi all, I'm backer 4,112. I've been concerned that the game wouldn't be finished for some time. So I'm saddened by today's news, but not surprised. That being said, Josh's health is absolutely the most important thing and I know he's done his best.

I've never been very active on here, forums aren't really my thing, but I've followed development closely and frequently lurk. I'm not sure if this has been suggested yet, or already explored but I propose that the source NOT be released. I think the level of work that has been completed by Josh and all our investments in the game will be severely diminished if it's publicly released. I would instead like to see if an indie studio and/or publisher would buy a large part (or all) of Limit Theory and finish the development. The game has a ton of potential and literally years of existing work already into it, I really think a good studio could pick it up, finish it, and turn a profit. If the code is released that won't happen.

Really interested to see how everyone feel about this.
Re: Don't release the code yet

I don't know how I feel either way. However, I do really feel like Josh ought to sit back a bit and get himself out of this headspace before he makes any major decisions regarding his future and the future of LT. He needs to distance himself from the emotional aspect of it all, essentially. After that's done, he'll be free to make whichever decision is most logical without any hindrances.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Releasing the code will not serve much purpose apart from some people poking into it, and learning a thing or two.
Its not that someone will pop up and create a finished game out of it. But once the code is public, its basically not marketable anymore.

Josh should let the project rest, get some financial stability (getting a job or contract work), and then decide in a year or two what to do with the code.

At the most, i would release some older build that runs and shows the features it had at that time.

Talvieno wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:59 pm
I don't know how I feel either way. However, I do really feel like Josh ought to sit back a bit and get himself out of this headspace before he makes any major decisions regarding his future and the future of LT. He needs to distance himself from the emotional aspect of it all, essentially. After that's done, he'll be free to make whichever decision is most logical without any hindrances.

I think this is wisely said.

I agree with the sentiment to not release the source code, at least not for awhile. I'm not a coder, but I know that a lot of people on this forum are. I've seen huge modding projects done by communities (for example, the SkyWind project with Skyrim). I see no reason why the people on this forum couldn't organize in a similar way to complete the project. I think Josh should take some time away (hopefully not a year) and then package what he has in a way that could be understood. In the meantime, people who are skilled with coding can organize and figure out what they want to do.

I'm going to go with licencing it under a Creative Commons licence that disallows making a profit on the work.
I refuse to see Limit Theory just die, and will put my own time and sweat into it if required.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

The project suffered from too many loose strings in terms of game features, unfinished tasks, too many different approaches to solve a problem so that I think there isn't anything to pick up and produce a game of it as the code will be a mess of different states and therefore hard to get into it.
Also it makes no sense to start a community like approach to finish it. The project never suffered from having developer with the ability to program such a game but suffered heavily from missing something like a project manager and/or programmer that would cut features down if money or engine capabilities weren't up to it. It lacked the ability to ship a game and finish a project. More developer will just produces more loose open ends in terms of code *looking at silverware*.

I'm not surprised by this really. When I read the Kickstarter message from Josh my first thought was "Finally!", with no malice intended at all. Just acceptance that this was going to happen eventually.

I hope that some good can come from the source code and it can be fashioned into something playable some day.

masseffect7 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:30 pm
I agree with the sentiment to not release the source code, at least not for awhile. I'm not a coder, but I know that a lot of people on this forum are. I've seen huge modding projects done by communities (for example, the SkyWind project with Skyrim). I see no reason why the people on this forum couldn't organize in a similar way to complete the project. I think Josh should take some time away (hopefully not a year) and then package what he has in a way that could be understood. In the meantime, people who are skilled with coding can organize and figure out what they want to do.
Skywind has been in development for several (six?) years with some 70 or so volunteers and still isn't done. I don't know that a community project would work. I certainly don't have the skills to contribute anything meaningful other than moral support.
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:57 pm
So instead of any studio picking it up and making a profit with massive changes to the code they first have to pay for unfinished code they may be able to turn into profit?

Not gonna happen
If anyone can turn it into a profitable code they wont buy it first.
I don't see how in six years of development everything that's been done could be completely unusable to a third party developer. Granted I'm no coder, but if in all that time nothing was produced that's usable to anyone then it sounds like we all got scammed. I really don't think that's the case here.

Because this is a sunken ship, already rotten over the years, with different developers that developed unfinished code, and third party developer have either one of the market engines or an inhouse engine and they will stick to it because thats what they know. So why should somebody get his hands on a sunken rotten ship if you have your own ship? As has been said you might get out some treasury but getting this thing ready to be shipped as complete game....

masseffect7 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:30 pm
I dont really believe in "community" projects, from a random assembly of people. There needs to be at least one or two key people who define and direct the project.
Else it just ends up in random contributions, or a lowest common denominator. And most likely very quickly fading motivation.
Especially since this game is not a typical content-assembly as the design in Betheshda games are. (There is a good editor, where people can work separately and contribute new locations, quests, npc characters, textures etc and make this all work within the same gameworld. Their games are designed to allow a workflow of parallel contributions, and loose dependencies.).

But creating (programming) core mechanics for a game is not something that can be shared, unless its a well organized team.

Just the code? Or assets too? If it's just the code then TBH I wouldn't care if it was never released, it would take far too long to build up enough assets to do anything with it, but if it has the assets then it might be worth getting the source, I'm sure I could get it to the point where I can have some fun with it at the very least.

But releasing it all publicly might not be the best thing, it would probably be worth getting in contact with some smaller publishers first to see if they would give you a modest budget with which to finish out the game or at least hire some devs to hand it over to if you would rather move on. Failing that if you are really done with LT you could license the source out to backers properly giving them a full commercial license for source and assets to use them to make and release games based on it, that might motivate some of the coders and artists here to do something with it.

If you do want to release it publicly please at least get it to the point where it can be compiled and run without crashing first.

Online Now