Return to “General”

Re: Don't release the code yet

I dont even think its a good idea to release the code. Lots of personal time went into it, and its very questionable that anyone else would create a usable game out of it. It would mainly serve the curiosity of others.

(And why would someone create a proper game out of it, it would always be considered Joshs game, not very rewarding when investing effort into something)

What he should do is compile some rolling demo. Like the one shown at the trade fair, to have at least something to show others after all the mess...

Damocles wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:22 am
I dont even think its a good idea to release the code. Lots of personal time went into it, and its very questionable that anyone else would create a usable game out of it. It would mainly serve the curiosity of others.

(And why would someone create a proper game out of it, it would always be considered Joshs game, not very rewarding when investing effort into something)

What he should do is compile some rolling demo. Like the one shown at the trade fair, to have at least something to show others after all the mess...
Nothing personal, but that's a terrible selfish post. You're crapping on Josh's karma. You're insulting those that might make use of his work. You're narrowly thinking that the engine can only be used for one thing. And, you're asking him to do more work than he has committed to. Wow.

If you want a rolling demo, when the code comes out, make one.

In defense of Damocles, I don't think it was his aim to insult Josh.

Just the opposite, actually; it seems to me the point Damocles was making -- that Josh should keep the code he worked on for seven years -- is to preserve the memory of Josh's efforts.

I don't happen to agree with that perspective, but I don't think it comes from any negative intention toward Josh.

Damocles wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:22 am
While I think releasing the code may be the right thing to do in order for Josh to have made his best to deliver something to the backers, I also think that the probability of something serious coming out of it are small.

Where I fully agree is that Josh - when he is able to - should, as a hobby activity release small demo to indeed have something to show for his time. I spoke already of the ‚simple‘ screen-saver type generating planets or ships or nebulaes and flying around them for a while before generating the next. Or indeed perhaps some stripped down playable shooters like what he had at the fair.
This would allow to have simething to show, but also to learn to accept less-than-perfect products. He will need to learn this if he wants to survive in this (and most others) industry!

:wave:

Online Now