Return to “General”

Re: The aesthetics of science fiction spaceship design (master thesis)

holgerl wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:01 am
Just discovered this thorough analysis of fictional spaceship design:

https://uwspace.uwaterloo.ca/handle/10012/4935

Maybe interesting for Josh or Lindsey?
Wow, very interesting. I just scanned the PDF and it seems to cover everything about spaceships and stations. I do think this will be very helpful to Josh when it comes to building ship generation algorithms.
Re: The aesthetics of science fiction spaceship design (master thesis)

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:26 am
Inb4 hyperion rolling in and complaining that some julia space set he happens to find pretty doesnt fit into the paper :ghost: :lol:
Actually, skimming the paper (I don't really have time to read 160 pages right now, but i'll put it in my list :P ), it seems rather comprehensive. Of course my own views on what spaceships and space stations and the like can look like in science fiction aren't really drawn fundamentally from other science fiction, at least not JUST science fiction. My own collection of ideas about the possible forms, which consists of about 20,000 images at the time of this writing, is just a sample of what I think could make for fantastic spaceships, you're free to disagree, but I simply ask "Why couldn't this be a spaceship or inspiration for a spaceship in science fiction or virtual space?" For me and my understanding, it's a matter of how much of what has been imagined or what can be imagined has been expressed in a well executed and popular medium. There are still countless sci-fi designs which simply haven't yet graced your eyes, but will one day be considered staples.

That said, here are some obligatory inspirographs that could one day be spaceships or space stations :D
Spoiler:      SHOW
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Online Now