Return to “General”

Re: Nervous

Nah, I don't blame you for being nervous. I'll still do my best to keep Josh from "straying from the path" though. :D I may not be there in person with him like Adam was, so I may not be quite as effective, but I do have his ear enough to prod him in one direction or another if it comes down to it. That'll be enough to keep him steady going forward. :)
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

I'd love to offer my time to Josh for free. But we all know he holds the game too close to his chest to actually accept others helping. :P
Plus, if I did anything we'd go through another five rebuilds of code and end up having the entire game run from a single 3 kilobyte file that contains everything. :ghost:
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:57 pm
I'd love to offer my time to Josh for free. But we all know he holds the game too close to his chest to actually accept others helping. :P
Plus, if I did anything we'd go through another five rebuilds of code and end up having the entire game run from a single 3 kilobyte file that contains everything. :ghost:
Or, more realistically, we would have a goatclysm

Naed wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:47 pm
Silverware wrote:
Or, more realistically, we would have a goatclysm
That... is also a guarantee. :D
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

No, you're definitely not alone in being nervous about it. I'm not worried about returning to the dark days, nor do I feel Josh is incapable of staying focused. I'm mostly worried that Josh will get stuck on one particular aspect and spend far too much time on it when that time could be better spent on other, more fruitful aspects of what remains to be done. If Josh and Tal had a meeting every few days, perhaps Tuesdays and Fridays, to review his work so far and briefly discuss what he plans to do before their next meeting, I would be much more comfortable about him being by himself again.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

I missed something evidently.

Where have Adam and Lindsey run off to?
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Silverware wrote:
and end up having the entire game run from a single 3 kilobyte file that contains everything. :ghost:
3 kb is quite a challange...
Ive made a little 3D space flight sim once, with the ship chasing trough canyons and caves of different planets. But that was in 4kb.
But a game with graphics like LT and basic combat and procedural generation, I would think could be archivable in the ballpark of 64kb.
(not including things like modding of course, and a simplified UI, no mission prosa, synthesized soundeffects and maybe a simple music track)

There are quite impressive demos in the 64kb scene.

Im also happy for Adam to have found such a great employment at Blizzard. That sounds like a jackpot.

(64kb demo example:)

One more, with a really cool soundtrack:
Last edited by Damocles on Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

I think things are in a fairly safe place right now. Traditionally, I have gone crazy when problems crop up that prevent me from pushing forward without there being an obvious solution...but C engine + LuaJIT has been the name of the game for almost two years now, and at this point it's pretty clear that we have a winning technology that allows me to get things done. I feel very comfortable with our toolset right now. I've also got my eye set pretty firmly on the ball, considering it has been six years of my life... :shock:

Silverware wrote:
... having the entire game run from a single 3 kilobyte file that contains everything. :ghost:

Hush now, don't tempt me like that boy :ghost:
Damocles wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:24 am

Chaos Theory is my favorite demo of all time! "A world not of my making; Yet a world of my design" most spine-chillingly epic line that has ever been uttered about the nature of procedural generation :clap:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:40 pm
I think things are in a fairly safe place right now. Traditionally, I have gone crazy when problems crop up that prevent me from pushing forward without there being an obvious solution...but C engine + LuaJIT has been the name of the game for almost two years now, and at this point it's pretty clear that we have a winning technology that allows me to get things done. I feel very comfortable with our toolset right now. I've also got my eye set pretty firmly on the ball, considering it has been six years of my life... :shock:

Silverware wrote:
... having the entire game run from a single 3 kilobyte file that contains everything. :ghost:

Hush now, don't tempt me like that boy :ghost:
Damocles wrote:

Chaos Theory is my favorite demo of all time! "A world not of my making; Yet a world of my design" most spine-chillingly epic line that has ever been uttered about the nature of procedural generation :clap:
<3
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

JoshParnell wrote:
Damocles wrote:

Question, how much influence did that video have on your original dream of Limit Theory? It's from 2006, plenty of time to take root in your young mind :think:
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

JoshParnell wrote:
Great quote but the demo doesn't hold a candle to The Product from Farbrausch when you take time into consideration - I was there when it was first shown at The Party in Denmark, everyone's jaws hit the floor, even the gamers and pirates that were usually too busy to watch the demos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3n3c_8Nn2Y
procedurally generated comment

Hyperion wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:08 am
Question, how much influence did that video have on your original dream of Limit Theory? It's from 2006, plenty of time to take root in your young mind :think:

I was heavily influenced by the demoscene as a whole during my growth as a programmer. I already dreamt of building worlds, but demosceners showed me how it was possible to do so with math and code -- a route much more accessible to me than the traditional artist workflows. So that video was one part of a culture that most definitely had an influence on LT coming into being :)
Miklos wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:54 pm
Great quote but the demo doesn't hold a candle to The Product from Farbrausch when you take time into consideration - I was there when it was first shown at The Party in Denmark, everyone's jaws hit the floor, even the gamers and pirates that were usually too busy to watch the demos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3n3c_8Nn2Y

For sure. Farbrausch was another huge inspiration. Those guys are almost too talented :shock: That's so cool that you saw the unveiling of product!! Do you still go to demoparties?

Speaking of Farbrausch, Magellan is a demo that was even more inspirational to me for LT than Chaos Theory, for obvious reasons:

Rove was also inspirational in some of my earlier terrain work when I was just getting in to graphics programming:

That and of course elevated by iq et al. (who I later got to work 'in the vicinity of' at Pixar, and attended a talk of his on proceduralism):

Note that elevated is a 4K demo (!!), making it stunningly-impressive as it could easily be mistaken for 64K!!
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Online Now