Return to “General”

Visual Impairment and the UI

Now I realize I have said these things before during the LT dev videos, and people seemed to be taking it quite serious, but how accessible is the current UI for people with impaired eyesight like myself?
I mean, we haven't seen any screenshots of the UI in a while, if I am correct, please, correct me if I am wrong. But I would like to ask for some, if at all possible, because I am still very excited for this game.
Re: Visual Impairment and the UI

Color modding of UI elements should be very easy.

But there might be some other useful variations that could require more code than just changing a color value in a table:

1. Text size: how large can it be made before it wraps badly?
2. Text font: will the UI properly scale for different fonts/faces?
3. Audio cues: is there a mouseover() hook for each piece of text?

Any others?

This site offers suggestions for designing things for various visual impairments, such as having: high contrasts, set to grayscale, invert colors, inverted grayscale, yellow on black, allowing users to customize colors of various parts of the UI, use of textures instead of or in addition to color.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Dinosawer wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:30 pm
Someone (Tal?) correct me if I'm wrong, but as the UI will be moddable afaik, even if the colour scheme isn't correct for you or others, it should be easy to make a mod that changes it to something you can discern well.
The UI is very moddable. I modded it a little myself. :) There will be no problems whatsoever with that.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:47 pm
Dinosawer wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:30 pm
Someone (Tal?) correct me if I'm wrong, but as the UI will be moddable afaik, even if the colour scheme isn't correct for you or others, it should be easy to make a mod that changes it to something you can discern well.
The UI is very moddable. I modded it a little myself. :) There will be no problems whatsoever with that.
Thanks, sounds good! Happy to see a small tight community on here still.

Talvieno wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:54 pm
I'm happy we're here too! :) Sorry I didn't respond before - I missed Dino's question to me until I went over the thread a second time, and thought everyone had already answered your question.
It's okay, I got my answer in the end, and it made me even more excited, so now I just need to hold my horses until the game is released.

Online Now