Return to “General”

March-April 2018 Limit Theory Fan Creations: Capital Edition

Take part in the discussion --> here
Only submissions in this thread, please.

Heyaa!

This is a bit of a new thing here. Whereas previously we had a (somewhat tardy :ghost: ) panel of judges, prizes, and anonymous feedback, interest has dwindled somewhat - as has available time for forumites to put into their works. As a result, I present to you the Limit Theory Fan Creations thread! As suggested by our very own CSE, this should solve most of the problems we've had lately. Here's how it works:

You post anything you want here - art, stories, videos, music - and people in the discussion thread will give you more immediate feedback. No waiting for judges! I'll personally be keeping an eye on it to read over anything you submit and I'll also comment on it - how you can improve, what the weak spots are, the parts I like about it best, and so on. Feedback will be guaranteed and much more rapid - and comprehensive, as you'll be able to ask me (and anyone else) further questions, and we can work with you to help you improve if you'd like. This is something that people often had a problem with during the previous contests - nobody knew how to contact the judges. :P

The rules are very, very simple. There won't be any prizes - this time it's purely about creating things, having people look at them, and getting feedback.

The rules:
  1. Anything you post must be your own work. Don't post pictures you found on Google Images or somewhere else. I will know. You are allowed, however, to use textures from other places, or stock images as part of whatever you post, same as before.
  2. It must be related to Limit Theory (I mean, obviously - just look at the thread title! :D )
  3. It must be related to the topic. This month's topic: Capital Ships - due entirely to Lindsey's hard work on capitals this month.
  4. You are allowed to post as many things as you want. No limits or restrictions! If you create it, you can post it!
  5. All submissions must be made before the end of April.

And that's it! At the end of April, I'll close this topic and open a new one, with a different theme. We can keep going from there. Eventually, as we get closer to Beta, I'm sure interest in an actual fan contest will pick up again. At that point, I'll re-start the old contests as before. During the intervening time, all the contests that myself and the other judges have fallen behind on, will be judged. Until then, I'll put up a poll where people can vote on their favorite works of the previous creation threads (starting in May), and the winner will receive a prize of some sort - just for fun. :D Probably in the form of a $30 voucher.

Most importantly, of course, have fun! :thumbup:
Re: March-April 2018 Limit Theory Fan Creations: Capital Edition

Seldom did I learn so much during an edition of the Fan Contest. I almost started dreaming about lighting and camera settings, but I came to a new level of understanding (even if I am still having to dig to understand the different rendering options).

Thanks to HS and thesleeve for the numerous tips.
You can see here the result with all different type of lighting (I have for example several "suns" at the same location, impacting different objects, allowing a fine control on the relative luminosities; there is even a little bit of post-processing for the "muzzle flashes") . I like the grainy look of the engine glows (and by the way, there is an option to customise the decay).
There is hopefully a dramatic angle of view highlighting the size with a very short focal distance of 20mm. This was fun, but quite difficult to get right, as small changes in the camera had huge impact on the scene, and what was in and out. To emphasis the size, I have fighters getting out of the bay in the rear and coming to the front to fight.
Thanks to Talv for organising and for the encouraging comments!

Here the small version for inline watching:

And as usual, here is the version for those with larger screens. [edit]The muzzle flashes have been slightly retouched in the small picture; here is the new version.[/edit]
This is my unfair advantage: the ship being (almost) completely defined with primitives and boolean objects, and of course the textures being procedural, I can zoom as much as I want without you seeing polygonization :twisted: .

The final render used about 7 hours, with 139 lights (many volumetric) and 5582 objects. The background is a picture I had on my computer, I regretfully cannot remember the source.

Online Now