Return to “General”

Re: General Outline of Alpha and Beta Testing

Is there any chance of the combat prototype sort of thing coming back again? There were 332 backers at that level, so if it was originally planned to give it to them and take their feedback and such about things, it seems reasonable to still do something along those lines.

Not sure how many of those folks are actively monitoring the status of things, but I'd assume at least some are still kicking around. (Myself being one of them - there must be others like myself, who virtually never post, but still read the forums)

Technically speaking we did already get a prototype, but all things considered, it's probably safe to say that isn't particularly representative of what's coming...

Not like I'd be offended of the prototype was considered done and gone, but figured I'd make a little noise so folks know there are still prototype backers who'd be interested in poking around at something and seeing if we can break it.

I personally don't think that getting the alpha should be seen as a reward, but as a job. That just because you backed at a certain level, or just because you're a forum regular, doesn't mean you deserve access. That if you're given the alpha, it's because not only can you be trusted, but because you're going to actually do testing, to find what's broken, identify serious mechanical issues and UI problems, and ultimately answer the question of "Is this program working as it should".

Beta is about finding all the little bugs and trying to break the game in a million different ways, Beta is about tweaking it for optimal fun, Alpha is about finding issues that will stop the game dead in its tracks. And as such, I would say your status as a backer or not, a forum regular or not, is irrelevant. What matters is your capacity to answer the question above as thoroughly as possible, and ideally offer solutions.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

jeisler wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:09 pm
Not sure how many of those folks are actively monitoring the status of things, but I'd assume at least some are still kicking around. (Myself being one of them - there must be others like myself, who virtually never post, but still read the forums)
Can confirm. :)

I missed out on the kickstater, didn't have a credit card back then, but i've been keeping an eye on and off on LT since then. Pop in about once a month, more frequently recently, less frequently during the Dark Days and other such periods. I dont expect to have access until the final version (or maybe convincing josh to do a open beta/preorder deal?) but i'm still pretty excited for what LT has to offer.

/sssss

ill go back to lurking now

Victor Tombs wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:30 pm
APatatoUnicorn wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:17 pm
ill go back to lurking now
Is that necessary, APatatoUnicorn? :)

You're welcome here. :D :angel:
Once he adds an Afro to his avatar that is. :ghost:
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

APatatoUnicorn wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:04 pm
Silverware wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:06 pm

Once he adds an Afro to his avatar that is. :ghost:
I cannot unleash the magical powerhouse that is an equestrian Bob-rossian rainbow-vegetable. Mere mortals cannot survive such power!

It must remained chained, it cannot realize it's full potential and go Superossayan :lol:
:D
You'll fit in well mate.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Honestly, with the years of delay, perhaps make beta available to all backers that are active on the forums regardless of backing levels - more eyes can't hurt and I really hope that LT will be what we all anticipate and that Josh & Co. get the recognition (outside of the forums) that they deserve and also a financial windfall.

Logic dictates that people who are serious about beta testing should have access and there should be an awesome reporting system in place (snapshot the current game so devs and other testers can resume the game, screenshots, description field, and a bug ID link) so it is easy to track said bugs, have a discussion thread per bug, merge bugs etc. and again, other testers can verify the issues to avoid the holy trinity using their time on non-bugs :)
procedurally generated comment

Miklos wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:52 am
Honestly, with the years of delay, perhaps make beta available to all backers that are active on the forums regardless of backing levels - more eyes can't hurt and I really hope that LT will be what we all anticipate and that Josh & Co. get the recognition (outside of the forums) that they deserve and also a financial windfall.

Logic dictates that people who are serious about beta testing should have access and there should be an awesome reporting system in place (snapshot the current game so devs and other testers can resume the game, screenshots, description field, and a bug ID link) so it is easy to track said bugs, have a discussion thread per bug, merge bugs etc. and again, other testers can verify the issues to avoid the holy trinity using their time on non-bugs :)
Err issue again is the "I paid extra for x, now you're giving it away to people who never paid for it". Also because all backers includes levels cheaper than the game would actually be.

I mean, a $50 pledge was for beta access. That's not insubstantial, and a long wait time certainly doesn't justify a bump in kickstarter tiers. I pledged $20 for Dysis and that project was never even finished. By your metric I should be entitled to recompense.

My point is that kickstarter is a gamble in the first place and feeling entitled to beta because there was a wait is a silly justification. No offense intended to you by this post, I don't mean to come across as hostile or anything. :)
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

I risk the ire of the Kickstarter backers who regularly contribute here with this post. I know that Beta Access was a tier-level contribution for the Kickstarter. However, (and I am excluding myself from this metric) I'm sure there are forum members here that have been around for the long-haul that were not Kickstarter backers that have just as much, perhaps even more, insight on what LT could/should/needs-to be and Josh's 'vision' as many of the paid backers. Any thoughts on opening up beta to a limited number of non-backers with enough 'street-cred' (I dunno how to measure that, forum post count maybe??) to be valuable contributors to the beta process?
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."
-Col. Lewis B. Puller, USMC

Black--Snow wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:30 am
Err issue again is the "I paid extra for x, now you're giving it away to people who never paid for it". Also because all backers includes levels cheaper than the game would actually be.
Disclaimer: I won’t be a beta tester, as I won’t have the time to make a meaningful contribution. So I am not trying to get reward beyond my tier ;)

Actually, this issue is a non issue: the backers have a right to have the beta, they do not have a right that nobody else does. To have this right, the beta should be « exclusive »; promised was only a « closed beta », therefore making it publicly available to download would not be fair.
So Josh is 200% free to involve whomever he wants in the beta, backer or not, as long as it is not a free for all download link publicly publicized !

Online Now