Return to “General”

Re: General Outline of Alpha and Beta Testing

BFett wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:09 pm
If you were to take the top posters from the first page, and were to make the argument that these people should get beta access, well I think these are fitting. Top LT Posters

Cornflakes
Talvieno - Our CM
Victor - Who certainly has beta access
Dinosawer
DWMagus - Previous moderator
Flatfingers
Josh - Who gets access to the alpha before anyone else :P
Thy- Who got banned
Silverware
Lum
Gazz - Another moderator
Scytale
BFett - I have beta access so no need to give me another copy
HowSerendipitous
Katorone - Made the original LT wiki
Idunno
Hyperion
Detritus
Charley_Deallus
Grumblesaur - Another moderator
Cha0zz
Zanteogo
IronDuke
Just_Ice_au - Another moderator
Katawa - Someone who has left the forums for quite some time now.

So, looking at this, I'd say there are 15 top posters who I believe have earned beta.
I don't know whether I'm part of your 15 or not, but I definitely want my first run at LT to be at official release so as not to spoil my own fun. If I were in Josh's position, I would feel weird handing it out to top posters since that might incentivize post quantity over post quality. We have a really terrific forum (despite our ups and downs and tough spots), and I have the feeling that people do it to contribute for contribution's sake, and because they want to see Limit Theory overflowing with good ideas and rich content. We have thousands of dollars' worth of people's two cents here just because they give a care.

Everyone on that list has been here a long time. It correlates with both time and interest, but if you leave any of us monkeys :monkey: on here long enough and we'll eventually crack four figures on our post count.
(Besides, Four-Word Story has more of my posts than any other thread, and we all know what kind of quality you get in a thread like that. I didn't check the rest of the folks on this list, but I imagine at least a few of us have a few hundred posts in low-effort off-topic threads.)
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

To be honest, the ones that come to my mind are the quality posts made by Corn, Dino, Flat, Hyperion, and others. Quality posts are of course the ones I'd be looking for. Not for the people who just sit around in off topic and post random stuff. I thought that you guys would know that's where I stood on these types of issues. Guess I should be more clear in the future.

BFett wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:54 pm
To be honest, the ones that come to my mind are the quality posts made by Corn, Dino, Flat, Hyperion, and others. Quality posts are of course the ones I'd be looking for. Not for the people who just sit around in off topic and post random stuff. I thought that you guys would know that's where I stood on these types of issues. Guess I should be more clear in the future.
No, I get you. I make no bones that everyone on that list has made excellent posts in their time here. All I'm saying is that it might seem unfair to productive contributors with smaller post counts if we just look at the big fish who've been here for ages.

Of course, if we were to go through some kind of screening process for pre-release testers based on their post quality, we might end up working on that for longer than the alpha (if that's a thing that happens) and beta combined.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

Black--Snow wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:52 am
CSE wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:26 am
Black--Snow wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:30 am
Err issue again is the "I paid extra for x, now you're giving it away to people who never paid for it". Also because all backers includes levels cheaper than the game would actually be.
Disclaimer: I won’t be a beta tester, as I won’t have the time to make a meaningful contribution. So I am not trying to get reward beyond my tier ;)

Actually, this issue is a non issue: the backers have a right to have the beta, they do not have a right that nobody else does. To have this right, the beta should be « exclusive »; promised was only a « closed beta », therefore making it publicly available to download would not be fair.
So Josh is 200% free to involve whomever he wants in the beta, backer or not, as long as it is not a free for all download link publicly publicized !
Err no. Indeed. The backers that backed lower than beta don't actually have any claim to it. Josh can of course give whoever he wants beta, legally no one can do anything. It does undermine his credibility completely though.

You can't argue semantics when it comes to public opinion.
Just for the records: I never mentioned any claim of non-beta backers to a beta. I mentioned the totally different statement that in opposite: beta backers have no claim to be the only ones getting the beta.
We seem to agree on the latter statement, so we actually agree from A to Z :roll:
Therefore I corrected you post.

Where we do not agree is that distributing the beta to a larger group of people would undermine his credibility. It would be in opposite totally smart to have the beta used for generous backer as reward, but also distributed to dedicated testers to use as a beta... with an obligation to test and report; generous backers may or may be not dedicated testers, but you cannot request from them a feedback; furthermore, they may not represent the whole broadness of the hardware/gamer type etc...

To quote the FAQ on the front page:
Limit Theory wrote: Can I Beta test it?

At the moment, the plan is to have a closed Beta where only Beta-tier Kickstarter backers are guaranteed access. This may change as we approach release, however. We'll make any announcements about Beta access on the forums when the time comes.

Thanks for pointing that out, BFett - I've fixed it. :thumbup: The original intention of that particular statement was for Josh to leave open the possibility of giving (late) beta access to select members of the press - e.g. RPS, PCGamer, or YouTubers like Scott Manley. In the time since the FAQ was originally written, Josh has more firmly decided that this is in fact what he wants to do with the game (although, again, this is not yet fixed in stone). I've updated the FAQ with this in mind, and I'll look over it and see if anything else is out of date.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Still working on it. As you may have noticed, Josh has been somewhat absent from normal channels of communication lately. :P I unfortunately don't live in Louisiana with the other team members, which makes things a bit more complicated for me. I'll make sure I get it done, though. :)
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

The space game M.O.R.E. was successfully Kickstarted in late 2012.

They had some problems (mostly related to being over-ambitious), and sort of fell off the grid for a while. Recently, though, they've been more active, including being more open about their planned tasks and statuses.

Today, they posted this:

0C29A19B-0EFA-4647-A861-426E292AF263.jpeg
0C29A19B-0EFA-4647-A861-426E292AF263.jpeg (92.75 KiB) Viewed 3263 times

I'd like to see something similar for Limit Theory.

I don't think we're quite to the point that I could do that in a meaningful way, but I've considered doing something like that too for a long while now (in fact, that was originally what the LT Feature List was intended to be). After Josh finishes porting, I'll see what I can do about it. :)

Talvieno wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:39 pm
I don't think we're quite to the point that I could do that in a meaningful way, but I've considered doing something like that too for a long while now (in fact, that was originally what the LT Feature List was intended to be). After Josh finishes porting, I'll see what I can do about it. :)

I think that would be received very well -- thank you!

Also, I note that since the amount of LTSL code must be finite, "finishes porting" is an achievable milestone. ;)

Online Now