Return to “General”

Re: Ship model concepts

I would find a discussion interesting on how certain traits of a race are reflected on ship design. Since I am taking ship generation will be procedural aswell (except for the handful of ships created with the ship designer), it would be nice to be able to get a sense of a races main traits and priorities just by looking at their ship designs.

As for me, big bulky designs might suggest this is a race hauling tons of stuff around, thus probably mainly traders. Sleek designs might suggest a race appreciates beauty and leisure, open to receiving contraband or whatever. Spiky or heavily armored designs might suggest you either get your guns ready or run for your money ... just a thought.
You cannot not communicate.
Paul Watzlawick - 1st Axiom

charnode wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:59 pm
I would find a discussion interesting on how certain traits of a race are reflected on ship design. Since I am taking ship generation will be procedural aswell (except for the handful of ships created with the ship designer), it would be nice to be able to get a sense of a races main traits and priorities just by looking at their ship designs.

As for me, big bulky designs might suggest this is a race hauling tons of stuff around, thus probably mainly traders. Sleek designs might suggest a race appreciates beauty and leisure, open to receiving contraband or whatever. Spiky or heavily armored designs might suggest you either get your guns ready or run for your money ... just a thought.

That is the beauty of what I see in Babylon 5, charnode. The races all have their own identifiable ships which reflect the characteristics of that race. I'm hoping for something similar in Limit Theory. It would be good to know when you are approaching a typical LT box shaped ship bristling with weapons of various types that the race concerned has boxy features, sport inside the box personalities and because they feel somewhat inferior they decide to approach all other races with ships bedecked with a myriad of intimidating weapons. Just in case you fail to take them seriously. :angel:

Mistycica wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:02 pm

Nexus: TJI had ship designs I loved, they look bulky and functional to the bone :3 Would definitely enjoy something like this in LT.
nexus is now older than i was when it came out.

and it still looks great :D

i prefer the noah battleships over the stiletto class, though :D

https://youtu.be/LBdT5yvHRy0?t=6m50s
(the player is an idiot by the way. i didnt act that stupid and actually gave my ships approach commands when attacking instead of them sitting around out of range...)

and the angelwing is pmuch #1 of my all time favourite ships

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:10 pm

nexus is now older than i was when it came out.

and it still looks great :D

i prefer the noah battleships over the stiletto class, though :D

https://youtu.be/LBdT5yvHRy0?t=6m50s
(the player is an idiot by the way. i didnt act that stupid and actually gave my ships approach commands when attacking instead of them sitting around out of range...)

and the angelwing is pmuch #1 of my all time favourite ships
It aged decently :3 My fave is probably the Longsword, sleek and rotaty.

I'm still kinda bummed about neither Nexus nor its predecessor, Imperium Galactica getting a modern sequel.
panic

Flatfingers wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:15 pm
The idea that ships in Limit Theory could be anywhere near as wildly inventive as these...

...that really would be something.
Well, there's no reason they couldn't and definitely no reason they shouldn't. LT gains enormous aesthetic potential in the abstract, by turning the weakness (inability to satisfactorily represent humans, ship interiors, seamless landings) into strengths (Pareidolic icons, hyperspace, geometrically interesting ships & stations) LT is enriched in ways that it couldn't have been. A lot of the ships I've shown are actually somewhat simple geometrically. I can think of at least theoretical ways of making procedural algorithms that make all sorts of geometry. turning that vague thought into code though? quite beyond me :geek: :ghost:
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Online Now