Return to “General”

Re: LT Feature List Discussion Thread

Is that because

a) normal planets only need 2 or 3 layers of texture to be plausible from space and a gas planets need more (and probably movable) layers to do the trick? and/or
b) is it simply because of gas planets don't should have cities/outposts/bases on them? and/or
c) is it maybe because they would be way too big in the standard scale of things in LT to be practical? and/or
d) ...

I'd put my money on c), because a) would be attacked by Da Mighty :monkey: , be defeated and killed to oblivion and against b) we could simply put cloud cities/bases/outposts and be happy without further explanations.
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

Probably what Dino said. There may be other reasons than that, but I wouldn't know unless I asked. I'm sure Josh would quite enjoy the challenge of making procedural gas giants. I'm sure he'd make them gorgeous, too, no doubts there. Whether he should is the question. They don't really serve much purpose by themselves.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
ForsakenCrown wrote:(no colonies)
why would they have no colonies.
different kinds and smaller colonies, yes.
but none at all?

why shouldnt atmospheric industrial facilities not support sizable populations over time?
i suppose it would all depend on whether or not gas giants behave like normal planets, but the biggest issue I think would be a visual one - what would they look like when you land at one?

but we don't really know how colonies in general look so it also depends on that
You have disobeyed God. Now you must pay the consequence.
[/i]

ForsakenCrown wrote: i suppose it would all depend on whether or not gas giants behave like normal planets, but the biggest issue I think would be a visual one - what would they look like when you land at one?

but we don't really know how colonies in general look so it also depends on that
like.. a colony supported in the atmosphere by either aerostats or antigravity (depending on what we want)

probably with a couple of gas mining "tentacles" trailing down (when you are using aerostats you are significantly into the atmosphere and you dont need a big pumping system at the bottom but only a vacuum pump on the top, making the whole thing a bit cheaper to build as well...)

Online Now