Return to “General”

Re: LT Feature List Discussion Thread

BFett wrote: 1. Visible damage on ships (beyond health bars)
2. Unique-per-NPC AI (each NPC is its own "person")
3. Shield and armor systems (instead of pure HP)
4. Destructible subsystems
5. Stealth mechanics
6. Industrial production lines (factories to produce ship parts/ammo/trade goods from raw materials, ore refineries, etc.)
7. Law enforcement and Pirates
I've numbered the above so it's easier to refer to.
1. Yeah, this is a feature that adds cool factor. Not many games do it, though those that do (Like EVE) generally end up being quite pretty.
2. This seems like something that is just intrinsic to LT's gameplay. Without this, the whole AI stuff doesn't make sense.
3. This one is almost required when building a space game. If you don't split shield and armour it becomes difficult to differentiate between the subsystems' benefits. Plus, this is quite easy to do.
4. Agreed, quite a cool one. Can be a pain in the ass sometimes though, depends on how it's implemented
5. Generally included in space games, though not always. Adds to the cool factor. I didn't think about whether or not this was in LT as it's not something I generally use.
6. Kind of required for a complex space sandbox, still cool nonetheless.
7. Definitely required for any space sandbox because it's the majority of the combat.
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Jazehiah wrote:Exciting news. The hype train is refueled and has picked up steam.
Has picked up steam? I thought they pick up water and coal and make the steam themselves. :ghost:

Talvieno wrote: This list is 100% official; everything here is direct from Josh.
(Even though I'm the one organizing it.)
Heh. Had a chuckle at this one. Poor CM. :mrgreen:
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

BFett wrote: Along those lines I also found it interesting that "Law enforcement" and "Pirates" are both listed under 'Gameplay mechanics'. I find this a bit out of place since I would have anticipated these to be emergent and not necessarily items which needed to be clearly defined.
That was my choice. Josh saw that I classified it as such and didn't see fit to change it, so I suppose he agreed in some ways. It really means nothing other than a way to categorize, sort, and clarify what would otherwise be a lengthy, unbroken list. I do think law enforcement and pirates have enough to them, though, that they could qualify as game mechanics in their own right - especially if illegal goods existed.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:Cornflakes has pointed out that there is an ominous lack of "Research" in the list. I'll need to talk to Josh again soon and rectify that, so I know exactly where it goes.
You mean like, research functions? To research new stuff, ships, weapons, gear, all that?
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Talvieno wrote:Well... yes and no. Josh's form of research is nothing more than a reallocation of points. Not really true research, in my opinion.
I seem to recall a tech tree which had branches which could be clicked on to have research in particular areas started. Is this still going to make the cut into the 1.0 version or will research not exist in that form but be a more dynamic system where research is much more specific? For example instead of researching heavy bombers one would research stronger ship hulls, better shields, and larger munitions capacity individually.

This is not something that was actually planned in LT, to my knowledge, and I'm not exactly sure where you're getting it from - could you link me to said topic? Josh stated previously that research could only be used to reallocate from areas to other areas - weaker shields for stronger weapons, for instance. One of his development videos demonstrated this.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
BFett wrote:Here you go! Update video 10.
Ah, right. Thanks for the link, BFett. :) That was overwritten by Update video 17.
i dont think that that overrode the actual tradeoff/small increment mechanics but rather just moved the techtree from being somewhere untouchable to the "Physical" realm.
with the rest being more or less untouched.
(josh even drops a line where he states that things can be "a little bit better" after a research step)

Online Now