Return to “General”

Re: LT Feature List Discussion Thread

Dinosawer wrote:
OS X support - according to Josh, it is extremely difficult to support the game on this operating system, but he may try to tackle it post-release and release an OS X version later.
Poor CSE
Now I did not care for the years of delay. But this. This. THIS! :evil:

I want my money back - or alternatively an idiot-proof procedure to install whatever linux is required on my MacOS hardware to make it run. Plus excuses. And a box of chocolate. With mint.

CSE wrote: I want my money back - or alternatively an idiot-proof procedure to install whatever linux is required on my MacOS hardware to make it run. Plus excuses. And a box of chocolate. With mint.
download mint image, burn to USB, restart mac, hold [command] or whatever the key was called down during boot, choose USB stick to boot from.
follow instructions

macs work really well with mint in my experience.

CSE wrote:or alternatively an idiot-proof procedure to install whatever linux is required on my MacOS hardware to make it run. Plus excuses. And a box of chocolate. With mint.
This is entirely possible, CSE. You might even be able to boot Linux off a flash drive for it. :( I knew it would disappoint you and was not looking forward to it, but Josh says it's tremendously difficult to get OSX to support LT - partly because of the OS, partly because of Apple's demands. In his words, "It's stupid how hard it is to support [OSX] vs. others. [It] became a serious burden." I'm going to try to nudge him towards making sure he does an OSX release - but it will probably be delayed until after it releases on PC and Linux.

Fortunately, as you seem to be open to booting off of Linux... that's certainly an option for you. :P And we have a lot of people here that can help you out with that, too.

So, about those chocolates... :monkey:

edit: Double-ninja'd by Linux gurus. :D
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Thanks guys for the support! :thumbup:

So when LT 1.0 is released, next week, next month, soon(tm), I'll come back to you for the procedure. 'till then... I keep the comfort of my mac. :oops:

PS: the mint was not a reference to unix, but to another thread with discussions about after eights. Nice coincidence, though ;)

mcsven wrote:Whilst I appreciate that Tal has made this, can I confirm the level officialness? Is this list blessed by Teh Josh?

Edit: it may also be worth saying that "closed universes" are also part of V1 (i.e. you don't have to play in an infinite universe).
Yes, blessed by Josh. All of it is straight from Josh, I've just organized it to look nice and be legible.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

There were several items on the list of features that were a little surprising to me. In particular I found these worth noting:

Visible damage on ships (beyond health bars)
Unique-per-NPC AI (each NPC is its own "person")
Shield and armor systems (instead of pure HP)
Destructible subsystems
Stealth mechanics
Industrial production lines (factories to produce ship parts/ammo/trade goods from raw materials, ore refineries, etc.)
Law enforcement and Pirates

First off, I'm very pleased with these findings coming to light. Visible damage along with a shield and armor system instead of pure HP is a move I really didn't expect to be in 1.0 nor did I think it would even likely be something that modders would work on. This alone could add interesting elements to gameplay and make shot placement matter much more especially since we also found out that sub-sytems can be destructible. I guess unique NPCs were discussed in the RTB updates or update video 21. I kind of wonder if this extends to the worker NPCs or just the CEO types. Along those lines I also found it interesting that "Law enforcement" and "Pirates" are both listed under 'Gameplay mechanics'. I find this a bit out of place since I would have anticipated these to be emergent and not necessarily items which needed to be clearly defined.

Online Now