Return to “General”

Point defense

will there be any sort of point defense to defend you ship from missiles fighters and bombers?

how many of these point defenses could we equip?

how much would we need to run them? (ammo, energy distribution from the ships energy core EDIT: if its an energy point defense)
Last edited by jonathanredden on Sat May 06, 2017 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Point defense

Um likely, but it hasn't been implemented yet and is probably still quite up in the air. I imagine we will have chaff and flairs along with point defense batteries on the larger ships.

The other questions will likely get answered during or some time prior to beta. I would prefer ammo to be balanced in a similar manner to the way it is done in Battletech. Give X units of ammo per ton of space and have a max tonnage.

Come join IRC if you want to discuss this more in depth with me.

jonathanredden wrote:will there be any sort of point defense to defend you ship from missiles fighters and bombers?
Yes. Especially larger ships.
how many of these point defenses could we equip?
With mods or without? Without, some large arbitrary number. With, virtually unlimited.
how much would we need to run them? (ammo, energy distribution from the ships energy core EDIT: if its an energy point defense)
I don't think the game is far enough along to give exact numbers here - and indeed, exact numbers may not even matter if everything changes from one universe to the next.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
I don't think the game is far enough along to give exact numbers here - and indeed, exact numbers may not even matter if everything changes from one universe to the next.
Ammo stores alone won't decide that question. It also depends on accuracy and rate of fire:
  • high rate of fire means the point defense burns through its stores faster.
  • but a highly accurate point defense might kill the attackers with less use of ammo.
Finding the optimum balance will be an interesting exercise for the player, assuming the player can actually switch out components of the point defense.
For the AI it might be a real challenge ;) .

Online Now