Nebula Zen

For LT discussion that doesn't fit into a more specific category.

Re: Nebula Zen

Postby Talvieno » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:05 am

Talvieno wrote:Oh, you want a bad limerick? Coming right up

A thread that's called Nebula Zen
Had just formed some quite deep debates when
Oh so suddenly, "SLIDERS!
WE CAN MAKE THE THINGS WIDER!"
And the thread ne'er went back there again

ta TA ta ta TA ta ta TA
ta ta TA ta ta TA ta ta TA
ta ta TA ta ta TA ta
ta ta TA ta ta TA ta
ta ta TA ta ta TA ta ta TA
Image
Have a question? Send me a PM!
User avatar
Talvieno
Community Manager
 
Posts: 8202
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:50 pm
Location: North GA, USA

Re: Nebula Zen

Postby JanB1 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:32 am

Talvieno wrote:
Talvieno wrote:Oh, you want a bad limerick? Coming right up

A thread that's called Nebula Zen
Had just formed some quite deep debates when
Oh so suddenly, "SLIDERS!
WE CAN MAKE THE THINGS WIDER!"
And the thread ne'er went back there again

ta TA ta ta TA ta ta TA
ta ta TA ta ta TA ta ta TA
ta ta TA ta ta TA ta
ta ta TA ta ta TA ta
ta ta TA ta ta TA ta ta TA


That...that was beautiful. I got tears in my eyes!
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here

Flatfingers wrote:23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"
User avatar
JanB1
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 1286
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:14 am
Location: Europe

Re: Nebula Zen

Postby BMRX » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:44 am

Talvieno wrote:ta TA ta ta TA ta ta TA
ta ta TA ta ta TA ta ta TA
ta ta TA ta ta TA ta
ta ta TA ta ta TA ta
ta ta TA ta ta TA ta ta TA


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S376iimvXIQ Possibly NSFW
:D
User avatar
BMRX
Commander
 
Posts: 348
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:29 pm

Re: Nebula Zen

Postby Scytale » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:54 am

Dinosawer wrote:They're not English terms :ghost:


Of course they're English terms, they're just loanwords. (and so of course they're also German, Dutch presumably, Greek etc terms. Only one of these has the honour of being the originator of those terms.)

For example, schadenfreude is an English term, because it's a term that's used in English, even though it's a loanword from German.
User avatar
Scytale
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 2827
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Nebula Zen

Postby Lum » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:01 pm

I still can't believe that schadenfreude can be used in English. But there you go... :ghost:
User avatar
Lum
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 3226
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:10 pm
Location: Potsdam (Germany)

Re: Nebula Zen

Postby Scytale » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:39 pm

Lum wrote:I still can't believe that schadenfreude can be used in English. But there you go... :ghost:


Haha if it's in Oxford it's good enough to be considered an English word even for dirty prescriptivists like me. Doesn't mean it isn't a loanword, but as you say, there you go :P
User avatar
Scytale
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 2827
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Nebula Zen

Postby JanB1 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:51 pm

Scytale wrote:
Lum wrote:I still can't believe that schadenfreude can be used in English. But there you go... :ghost:


Haha if it's in Oxford it's good enough to be considered an English word even for dirty prescriptivists like me. Doesn't mean it isn't a loanword, but as you say, there you go :P


I like the word schadenfreude. :D
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here

Flatfingers wrote:23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"
User avatar
JanB1
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 1286
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:14 am
Location: Europe

Re: Nebula Zen

Postby Scytale » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:54 pm

JanB1 wrote:
Scytale wrote:
Lum wrote:I still can't believe that schadenfreude can be used in English. But there you go... :ghost:


Haha if it's in Oxford it's good enough to be considered an English word even for dirty prescriptivists like me. Doesn't mean it isn't a loanword, but as you say, there you go :P


I like the word schadenfreude. :D


WHO DOESN'T
User avatar
Scytale
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 2827
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Nebula Zen

Postby Dinosawer » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:10 pm

I'm not sure I want to know how it's pronounced in English :P

Scytale wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:They're not English terms :ghost:


Of course they're English terms, they're just loanwords. (and so of course they're also German, Dutch presumably, Greek etc terms. Only one of these has the honour of being the originator of those terms.)
For example, schadenfreude is an English term, because it's a term that's used in English, even though it's a loanword from German.

Okay mister literal, they're not terms specific to English literature :ghost:

(and they're originally greek)
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING
Image
User avatar
Dinosawer
Admiral
 
Posts: 5825
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 1:08 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: Nebula Zen

Postby Scytale » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:12 pm

Dinosawer wrote:I'm not sure I want to know how it's pronounced in English :P


SHAH-dinn-froy-duh


Okay mister literal, they're not terms specific to English literature :ghost:

(and they're originally greek)


Good man!

And hey, I only dish out what I take :P
User avatar
Scytale
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 2827
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Nebula Zen

Postby JanB1 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:23 pm

Scytale wrote:
JanB1 wrote:I like the word schadenfreude. :D


WHO DOESN'T


Well...true. :mrgreen:


Scytale wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:I'm not sure I want to know how it's pronounced in English :P


SHAH-dinn-froy-duh


SHAH-dinn-froy-duh...WHAT?!
Wait a second, let me...

*rumbling through old boxes*

Here, take that.

English
German
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here

Flatfingers wrote:23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"
User avatar
JanB1
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 1286
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:14 am
Location: Europe

Re: Nebula Zen

Postby Flatfingers » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:32 pm

JanB1 wrote:I refuse to accept this fact. And because I don't accept it, it can therefore not be true (I think this is seriously how some people go through life). :angel:

I venture to say it would be difficult to find someone of whom this isn't true for at least one deeply-held belief. It's just a human thing.

(We should probably not go looking for examples; forums tend to get unpleasant when skepticisms fight moral certainties.)

Also: NEBULA ZEN!
User avatar
Flatfingers
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 4545
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Nebula Zen

Postby JanB1 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:39 pm

Flatfingers wrote:
JanB1 wrote:I refuse to accept this fact. And because I don't accept it, it can therefore not be true (I think this is seriously how some people go through life). :angel:

I venture to say it would be difficult to find someone of whom this isn't true for at least one deeply-held belief. It's just a human thing.

(We should probably not go looking for examples; forums tend to get unpleasant when skepticisms fight moral certainties.)

Also: NEBULA ZEN!


Yeah, okay. That might be true. There are beliefs that you tend to let go from easier, and stuff that you kinda defend really hard, because they are part of your personality, of yourself, and how you define yourself. But I think there are more and more people that go through their life with so much ignorance, that you can't even discuss with them about some very basic stuff because they'll deny everything that collides with their view of the world.

Also:
SPOILER:      NEBULA ZEN!   (SHOW)
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here

Flatfingers wrote:23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"
User avatar
JanB1
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 1286
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:14 am
Location: Europe

Re: Nebula Zen

Postby Scytale » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:46 pm

JanB1 wrote:
Scytale wrote:
JanB1 wrote:I like the word schadenfreude. :D


WHO DOESN'T


Well...true. :mrgreen:


Scytale wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:I'm not sure I want to know how it's pronounced in English :P


SHAH-dinn-froy-duh


SHAH-dinn-froy-duh...WHAT?!
Wait a second, let me...

*rumbling through old boxes*

Here, take that.

English
German


Right, that's what I said :P SHAH-dinn-froy-duh is the English pronunciation~
User avatar
Scytale
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 2827
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Nebula Zen

Postby JanB1 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:54 pm

Scytale wrote:Right, that's what I said :P SHAH-dinn-froy-duh is the English pronunciation~


Pffssh. Yeah, yeah. As if someone would have been able to get that from THAT pronunciation writing.
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here

Flatfingers wrote:23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"
User avatar
JanB1
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 1286
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:14 am
Location: Europe

PreviousNext

Return to General



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests