Return to “General”

Re: Nebula Zen

JanB1 wrote:
Scytale wrote: Right, that's what I said :P SHAH-dinn-froy-duh is the English pronunciation~
Pffssh. Yeah, yeah. As if someone would have been able to get that from THAT pronunciation writing.
I'm pretty terrible with pronunciation writing.
Let's try: ˈʃɑːdənfrɔɪdə courtesy of wikipedia!

charnode wrote:I'm fairly sure Schadenfreude is pronounced Eve Online in english ...
This is the most on the nose thing I have seen all day.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote:
charnode wrote:I'm fairly sure Schadenfreude is pronounced Eve Online in english ...
This is the most on the nose thing I have seen all day.
Could someone please explain this to my friend? He doesn't get it and I don't want to spend the energy to explain it to him...
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

This is the best post in this thread

"On the nose" has two meanings. The one I'm more familiar with is "too direct", "too obvious", or in particular, and correct me if you disagree, "unwisely direct". I don't know the history for sure but I think this use of it comes from wine-tasting, where "the nose" is the first experience you get of the wine; hence if something is "on the nose" it's too up-front and unsubtle.

Urban dictionary gives the example: Excuse me, but I don't quite think we should have Helga say "I am sad. I hate you and you smell." It's a bit on the nose.

The other meaning is as another way of saying "exactly!"

I think Silver's use of it fits both meanings :P

No wait there's a better meaning! On the nose means 'exact' for whatever reason, which can bepositive, but it can also mean 'undesirably exact and direct': like if you make a remark about someone that is exactly right but no one is comfortable hearing it then that would be particularly 'on the nose'

Edited to condense triple post ~Talvieno

Scytale wrote:
This is the best post in this thread

"On the nose" has two meanings. The one I'm more familiar with is "too direct", "too obvious", or in particular, and correct me if you disagree, "unwisely direct". I don't know the history for sure but I think this use of it comes from wine-tasting, where "the nose" is the first experience you get of the wine; hence if something is "on the nose" it's too up-front and unsubtle.

Urban dictionary gives the example: Excuse me, but I don't quite think we should have Helga say "I am sad. I hate you and you smell." It's a bit on the nose.

The other meaning is as another way of saying "exactly!"

I think Silver's use of it fits both meanings :P

No wait there's a better meaning! On the nose means 'exact' for whatever reason, which can bepositive, but it can also mean 'undesirably exact and direct': like if you make a remark about someone that is exactly right but no one is comfortable hearing it then that would be particularly 'on the nose'
Thank you for this explanation. In german, sometimes you say "It's right in front of your nose" or "They don't think out over their own nose!" and the first one is meant like "Don't you see it? It's right in front of you." and the other is used to describe people with a lack of foresee ath the things they are doing. Maybe this "on the nose" developed kinda out of these ones?

Talevine wrote: Edited to condense triple post ~Talvieno
Aaand thank you too. :D
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Online Now