LTFC - March 2017 - Bad Luck Edition

For LT discussion that doesn't fit into a more specific category.

LTFC - March 2017 - Bad Luck Edition

Postby Talvieno » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:06 pm

Take part in the discussion --> here
Only submissions in this thread, please.

Heyaa!

Welcome to the thirteenth edition of the Limit Theory Fan Contest! This is a rather special month, because this month happens to have a Friday that falls on the 13th! ...Actually, I just made that up. That doesn't happen until October. Still, I can't resist the fun that could come from setting this month's theme around the superstitious idea that something terrible happens on the thirteenth of something. As a result, this month will be about "bad luck". It doesn't necessarily have to focus completely on bad luck, but it must openly feature the topic in some form. Be a little creative, and I'm sure you can come up with something awesome. :) Everyone can make as many admissions as they like, but only one can be the "official" admission by which you are judged.

This contest will have 3 prizes for the top three submissions, and each entrant can only win one prize. If there are less than six entrants, only two prizes will be given out. If there are less than four entrants, only one prize will be awarded. If there are less than two entrants, no prizes will be given. Selected prizes will be taken from the pool, and winners can choose between them. First place gets first pick.

The objective: Create art about Limit Theory.
This could be in written form as a story, lore, or a detailed idea for a mod. It could be visual like a gif, photoshop or video. Or even audio - anyone up for a bit of stand-up about Limit Theory? These are just a few ideas off the top of my head, but I'm sure you guys can think of a lot more. It is fine to use other games' assets in your submissions, as long as your work is your own.
Rule of thumb: "Does it spotlight Limit Theory?"

Prize pool:Depending on the number of submissions, two to four prizes will be randomly selected from the pool for the winners to choose from. The remaining prizes will be held over for next month. This gives all winners prizes to choose between, with the first place winner having first pick between them all. This should ensure everyone gets something they enjoy. The prize that is not chosen gets returned to the pool for the next month, and the pool is refilled to six items, randomly chosen from a list. If an item is declined by the last-place winner two months in a row, it is removed from the pool to keep things fresh.

The rules:
  • The artwork needs to be about Limit Theory per the objective.
  • Everybody is free to enter but can only submit one entry to the contest. You are free to change or replace your submission for as long as the contest is open.
  • If you have submitted more than one work, you need to be very clear about which one you're entering. If there is any doubt, the latest entry in the forum thread will be judged.
  • You cannot submit something you've already submitted to a previous LTFC. Submitting things you plan to (or have) submitted to other non-LT contests is discouraged.
  • All contest submissions have to be made as a reply to this thread.
  • Submitting a prize does not exclude you from having a submission scored.
  • Judges are not barred from making a submission themselves, but their submissions can't earn prizes. If they would like their submissions to earn prizes, they cannot act as a judge for that month.
  • The contest will be open to new submissions until Sunday, April 2nd, 23:59 GMT.
  • Discussion about this contest or submissions can happen here.
  • Any prizes are yours to do whatever you want with them. You can even give the prize to someone else if you'd like, and they don't have to be from this forum.
Note: if you're using another site to host content, make sure the title and comment displays that it's part of a contest submission. This is to avoid future Googlers from becoming confused when looking for official content.

Judging:
Our panel of three judges will evaluate the submissions based on the following criteria:
  • Originality: 30%
  • Aesthetic: 25%
  • Details: 10%
  • X factor: 20%
  • Realism according to the LT universe: 15%

And most importantly: Have fun! :thumbup:
Talvieno
Community Manager

Re: LTFC - March 2017 - Bad Luck Edition

Postby Catsu » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:17 am

-Begin scripture-

It was bad luck from the start. He could taste it.

ムラマサ

It hung in the black, a prop in the play, dangling from puppeteer strings.

It's hunger was palpable, hitching his breath as he stared at the behemoth.

It spoke.

It's words rang out across his hull, up his arm, into his mind, and made his hairs stand on end.

It was alive. It knew.

It wouldn't move, like a stationary object, a fixed point in space and time.

It saw him.

He felt it's gaze fall heavy on him, a pressure between his shoulders.

Teeth and darkness.

It began to move, his eyes were fixed. Alarms grew feint in his mind, it knew. It's Maw was upon him.

Absolute blackness.

The end came, no sounds of crunching hull or blairing alarms, but a heartbeat. A heartbeat was the last sound.

-A dramatic reimagined first encounter of the "Vadik" species of sentient space craft encountered 21344NEC- By playwright Catsushika Tesonin

End scripture
There is no peace, only passion
Catsu
Lieutenant

Postby Dinosawer » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:47 pm

Time to rumble!
So, because I have no time this month wanted to do something original, I present:
Taiya, Goddess of IRC

The link with LT is obvious, since it's about the Limit Theory IRC.
The link with the subject is also obvious: Detritus has bad luck and gets put in a vase, and the noble flower-offerer has bad luck, cause someone else has already given Taiya flowers. Several times.
So, clearly fit for this contest oktxbye
*runs before anyone can catch him*

:ghost:

----
Edit: Joke explanation for the heathens people who don't visit IRC: Taiya is our resident in the LT IRC (chatroom).
Aside from useful things, she has a function where you can give her flowers, which she likes. Because she likes you if you do that, everyone gives her flowers all the time (hence the giant pile of flowers)
Now, one of her responses to that was "[Taiya] accepts gratefully and puts them in a pretty vase". However, specifically for Detritus, this has been changed to
"[Taiya] accepts gratefully and puts him in a pretty vase"
so Detritus gets put in a vase by Taiya regularly. :ghost:
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING
Dinosawer
Admiral

Postby CSE » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:57 pm

...and here is my entry for March:

Spoiler:      SHOW

As usual, here is a finely crafted link for getting more pixels.
I did invest some more work to the balance, so I hope this will satisfy the judge :lol: . The problem I had was the rendering of fast moving object. Vue is supposed to generate a motion blur when rendering a frame in an animated sequence, but the fast asteroid looks a bit unnatural.

Here is a list of external sources used in this entry. Note that in particular the last pane is not drawn by yours truly, but only cropped and with some added speech bubble; this seems to be OK according to the hosting website Getty; a reference to the source is embedded in the pane directly.
Spoiler:      SHOW
Pane 1
Green explosion
http://keanebeamish.com/wp-content/uplo ... oron_3.jpg
Background
http://cdn.wonderfulengineering.com/wp- ... unds-6.jpg
Pane 2
Background
http://www.psdgraphics.com/backgrounds/ ... ackground/
The plot is the logistic equation, see for example here for some explanations.
Pane 3
Background
http://eskipaper.com/universe-backgroun ... ound-1.jpg
Pane 4
Background (Earth_from_space)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/blueforce ... 5tV-aFDQvc
Pane 5
Extinction of the dinosaurs, artwork. Getty/CARSTEN SCHNEIDER
http://www.gettyimages.ch/detail/illust ... /492602763

PS: I hope it is clear the story happens ca 70 million years ago, the alien miner being responsible for the cretaceous dinosaur exctinction event and ultimately for the appearance and dominance of humanity on Earth...
by Cha0zz
CSE
Commander

Postby F4wk35 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:20 am

Here's my entry for the March edition of the ever popular LTFC ;)

Please enjoy!

--------------

Aria in Darkness

The engine's hum surrounded me, feeling better than the total silence before.
I'd show them. Them, who called it an oversized engine with a seat strapped to it.
I'd show them with this race. I'd set new standards in speed and maneuverability.
With a grin I opened my eyes.

Before me were the expanses of the Abtore asteroid field, stage for the best innovators, the best pilots and testing ground for everything a ship could need.
Left and right to me were the other 8 contestants. Prototypes they flew, every single one of them.
Most couldn't even dream to hold a candle to my dear "Aria" as I had called my own ship.

One of my displays flashed with a broadcast:
"Contestants ready!"

It was time! Finally!

"The race will begin in 3!"
All systems green.

"2!"
Blood pumping through my veins.

"1!"
My grin widened.

"!!START!!"
Controls unlocking, the nice hum from before turning into a mighty roar!

In what felt like an instant, I accelerated with an almost frightening amount of force. The asteroid field growing bigger and bigger with each passing moment!

Warnings started flashing on all screens, Inertia compensators overloaded.
My Vision blurred, it felt like being crushed in my seat. Breathing was almost impossible.
The first asteroid closed in in a matter seconds, the holographic sign directing the way further into the field. Compensators back on green, I could breathe again.

Taking the turns like a madman, drawing even the last bit of performance out of the Aria's modified engines. Compensators almost giving in again as I zoomed past the next rock close enough for my adrenaline-flooded mind to make out even the smallest dents on the surface! I was far ahead! I just knew it! Nothing could stop me!
Almost done, just past that last rock, another slowly turning behemoth of dust and ice.

Just as I flew past...a jagged formation protruding from the asteroid, hidden by its otherwise smooth curvature and rotation. Too close to evade...too fast for my eyes to widen in horror.
Ripping noises, crushing.
Displays flashing urgent warnings...before going black.

I was alive. I somehow managed to bail out of the spreading cloud of debris that once was my ship.
An aria of success ripped to pieces in a flash.

Sam Stolton, the only one who could reach my own creations in this race.
He abandoned the track, scooped me up, brought me back. I was dazed. I couldn't believe what had happened.

"Great show, buddy!", I remember him saying.
"That really was unfortunate with that last turn. Better luck next time!"
F4wk35
Captain

Return to General