Dev funding

For LT discussion that doesn't fit into a more specific category.

Dev funding

Postby will86c » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:58 pm

So I just read the lasted novel by Josh and I'm glad he's finally broken the silence... again. I backed the kickstarter, and I've been following the development. I've been skeptical that the game would be released for a while now. I'm just curious how much longer development can go before he runs out of money, it's already more than 3 years over due, and there wasn't that much money raised to begin with. I didn't see any mention of the finances in the recent post, has anyone got any info on this?
will86c
Recruit
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:37 pm

Re: Dev funding

Postby Talvieno » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:01 pm

I don't think that's public information, no.

edit: also, just noticed. Welcome to the forum. :wave:
User avatar
Talvieno
Community Manager
 
Posts: 7651
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:50 pm
Location: North GA, USA

Re: Dev funding

Postby Zanteogo » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:11 pm

Not public info, but many have speculated that he had about 5-6 years of money assuming he hasn't received outside funding we don't know about.

It's also the reason some here have suggested that a feature complete LT 1.0 might not be realistic at this point.

Perhaps Josh might be willing to clear this up..

edit: fixed, perhaps posting from cell while getting ready for work is a BAD idea.
Last edited by Zanteogo on Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Signature
User avatar
Zanteogo
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 1688
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:33 am
Location: ※League of the 20,000 Planets※

Re: Dev funding

Postby ForsakenCrown » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:14 pm

It's possible he's receiving money through the Tech Park he's working at now.
You have disobeyed God. Now you must pay the consequence.
ForsakenCrown
Lieutenant Commander
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:30 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: Dev funding

Postby kaeroku » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:06 pm

ForsakenCrown wrote:It's possible he's receiving money through the Tech Park he's working at now.


What an interesting thought. I saw the idea floated recently that he was receiving free office space from the tech park. I didn't imagine that he'd be drawing an income from them, but it is - I suppose - possible.

Re: OP, I had a thread about $ which I believe is currently on page 2 of general and hasn't seen a post since September, but it covered the range of speculation about as far as it could without input from Josh. I agree though that I'd like to see Josh's comments on the sustainability of (exclusive) LT development with concrete numbers about when that will stop being a realistic option.
kaeroku
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:02 am

Re: Dev funding

Postby Zanteogo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:08 am

ForsakenCrown wrote:It's possible he's receiving money through the Tech Park he's working at now.


I don't think he is and highly doubt it to be honest.
My Signature
User avatar
Zanteogo
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 1688
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:33 am
Location: ※League of the 20,000 Planets※

Re: Dev funding

Postby Dinosawer » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:18 am

An office space that pays you instead of the other way round?
Where do I sign up?
:ghost:
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING
Image
User avatar
Dinosawer
Admiral
 
Posts: 5418
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 1:08 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: Dev funding

Postby Damocles » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:45 am

The Tech-Park bureaus could be state sponsored, to grow a local e-tech startups.
If you get lucky, and one company gets big, its a boost for local economy and employment.
But who knows.

They hava a variety of other interesting startups on their channels.
User avatar
Damocles
Lieutenant Commander
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:09 pm

Re: Dev funding

Postby Grumblesaur » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:32 pm

Damocles wrote:The Tech-Park bureaus could be state sponsored, to grow a local e-tech startups.
If you get lucky, and one company gets big, its a boost for local economy and employment.
But who knows.

They hava a variety of other interesting startups on their channels.


Seems unlikely they'd choose a one-man startup for that.
Forum Search 0/ Official Limit Theory Website 0/ Rules & Game FAQ

Zanteogo wrote:You sir, are the master of unhappiness. ;)

charnode wrote:The true General Unhappiness he is.
User avatar
Grumblesaur
Moderator
 
Posts: 1972
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:57 pm
Location: Spotsylvania, VA, USA

Re: Dev funding

Postby Graf » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:16 pm

Grumblesaur wrote:
Seems unlikely they'd choose a one-man startup for that.


I agree that it seems unlikely the tech park is paying him but I'd be willing to bet that there are other factors at play when it comes to LT's bank account.
Libertas per Technica
Graf
Commander
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:14 pm
Location: Virginia, USA

Re: Dev funding

Postby JoshParnell » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:25 pm

To clear it all up:

1. LT finances are such that I am capable of continuing development for a long time to come. As long as I continue to keep living expenses low, there is nothing in danger here. That being said, having no money coming in and having to live on minimal expenses is not ideal. As I've mentioned many times before, I have a whole lot of incentive to finish LT.
2. I pay the Tech Park, not vice-versa. However, it is a very modest fee for the office space I receive, so I imagine they are partially funded by grant/gov't money (but I don't know).

And a gratuitous 3, since it relates to certain conversations in other threads...:

3. I could absolutely not afford to hire another developer(s) for any substantial amount of time. I work for LT for the cost of my living, meaning essentially free labor (with, you know, the promise of future riches :ghost:). Developers, on the other hand, are not cheap.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford
User avatar
JoshParnell
Developer
 
Posts: 4205
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:06 pm
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

Re: Dev funding

Postby Black--Snow » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:38 pm

JoshParnell wrote:To clear it all up:

1. LT finances are such that I am capable of continuing development for a long time to come. As long as I continue to keep living expenses low, there is nothing in danger here. That being said, having no money coming in and having to live on minimal expenses is not ideal. As I've mentioned many times before, I have a whole lot of incentive to finish LT.
2. I pay the Tech Park, not vice-versa. However, it is a very modest fee for the office space I receive, so I imagine they are partially funded by grant/gov't money (but I don't know).

And a gratuitous 3, since it relates to certain conversations in other threads...:

3. I could absolutely not afford to hire another developer(s) for any substantial amount of time. I work for LT for the cost of my living, meaning essentially free labor (with, you know, the promise of future riches :ghost:). Developers, on the other hand, are not cheap.

You can hire Silverware for free but he will write half a class before getting bored. :V
Image
User avatar
Black--Snow
Captain
 
Posts: 587
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:32 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Dev funding

Postby DWMagus » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:52 pm

Black--Snow wrote:
JoshParnell wrote:To clear it all up:

1. LT finances are such that I am capable of continuing development for a long time to come. As long as I continue to keep living expenses low, there is nothing in danger here. That being said, having no money coming in and having to live on minimal expenses is not ideal. As I've mentioned many times before, I have a whole lot of incentive to finish LT.
2. I pay the Tech Park, not vice-versa. However, it is a very modest fee for the office space I receive, so I imagine they are partially funded by grant/gov't money (but I don't know).

And a gratuitous 3, since it relates to certain conversations in other threads...:

3. I could absolutely not afford to hire another developer(s) for any substantial amount of time. I work for LT for the cost of my living, meaning essentially free labor (with, you know, the promise of future riches :ghost:). Developers, on the other hand, are not cheap.

You can hire Silverware for free but he will write half a class before getting bored. :V


And you may end up with references to goats afterwards.
Image
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
User avatar
DWMagus
Moderator
 
Posts: 5066
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:25 pm
Location: Denver, CO, United States

Re: Dev funding

Postby 0111narwhalz » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:00 pm

Seed "goat" generates a universe entirely goat-themed. Goat ships. Goat cannons. Goat scream sound effects. Goat textures. Goat commodities. Goat nebulae. The shape of the tech tree is that of a goat. Goatspeak dialogue. :ghost:

Actually, that sounds kinda cool. :squirrel:
User avatar
0111narwhalz
Commander
 
Posts: 343
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:40 pm

Re: Dev funding

Postby Graf » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:10 pm

Add it to the mod list. :ghost:
Libertas per Technica
Graf
Commander
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:14 pm
Location: Virginia, USA

Next

Return to General



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests