Return to “General”

Dev funding

So I just read the lasted novel by Josh and I'm glad he's finally broken the silence... again. I backed the kickstarter, and I've been following the development. I've been skeptical that the game would be released for a while now. I'm just curious how much longer development can go before he runs out of money, it's already more than 3 years over due, and there wasn't that much money raised to begin with. I didn't see any mention of the finances in the recent post, has anyone got any info on this?
Re: Dev funding

Not public info, but many have speculated that he had about 5-6 years of money assuming he hasn't received outside funding we don't know about.

It's also the reason some here have suggested that a feature complete LT 1.0 might not be realistic at this point.

Perhaps Josh might be willing to clear this up..

edit: fixed, perhaps posting from cell while getting ready for work is a BAD idea.
Last edited by Zanteogo on Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Signature

ForsakenCrown wrote:It's possible he's receiving money through the Tech Park he's working at now.
What an interesting thought. I saw the idea floated recently that he was receiving free office space from the tech park. I didn't imagine that he'd be drawing an income from them, but it is - I suppose - possible.

Re: OP, I had a thread about $ which I believe is currently on page 2 of general and hasn't seen a post since September, but it covered the range of speculation about as far as it could without input from Josh. I agree though that I'd like to see Josh's comments on the sustainability of (exclusive) LT development with concrete numbers about when that will stop being a realistic option.

The Tech-Park bureaus could be state sponsored, to grow a local e-tech startups.
If you get lucky, and one company gets big, its a boost for local economy and employment.
But who knows.

They hava a variety of other interesting startups on their channels.

Grumblesaur wrote:
Seems unlikely they'd choose a one-man startup for that.
I agree that it seems unlikely the tech park is paying him but I'd be willing to bet that there are other factors at play when it comes to LT's bank account.
Libertas per Technica

To clear it all up:

1. LT finances are such that I am capable of continuing development for a long time to come. As long as I continue to keep living expenses low, there is nothing in danger here. That being said, having no money coming in and having to live on minimal expenses is not ideal. As I've mentioned many times before, I have a whole lot of incentive to finish LT.
2. I pay the Tech Park, not vice-versa. However, it is a very modest fee for the office space I receive, so I imagine they are partially funded by grant/gov't money (but I don't know).

And a gratuitous 3, since it relates to certain conversations in other threads...:

3. I could absolutely not afford to hire another developer(s) for any substantial amount of time. I work for LT for the cost of my living, meaning essentially free labor (with, you know, the promise of future riches :ghost:). Developers, on the other hand, are not cheap.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:To clear it all up:

1. LT finances are such that I am capable of continuing development for a long time to come. As long as I continue to keep living expenses low, there is nothing in danger here. That being said, having no money coming in and having to live on minimal expenses is not ideal. As I've mentioned many times before, I have a whole lot of incentive to finish LT.
2. I pay the Tech Park, not vice-versa. However, it is a very modest fee for the office space I receive, so I imagine they are partially funded by grant/gov't money (but I don't know).

And a gratuitous 3, since it relates to certain conversations in other threads...:

3. I could absolutely not afford to hire another developer(s) for any substantial amount of time. I work for LT for the cost of my living, meaning essentially free labor (with, you know, the promise of future riches :ghost:). Developers, on the other hand, are not cheap.
You can hire Silverware for free but he will write half a class before getting bored. :V
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Black--Snow wrote:
JoshParnell wrote:To clear it all up:

You can hire Silverware for free but he will write half a class before getting bored. :V
And you may end up with references to goats afterwards.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Online Now