Return to “General”

Re: The New Unhappiness Thread

Arclite wrote:
The only other rule I might add would be no threats of doxxing Josh. He's entitled to his privacy.
The problem with this being an all out rule is there is a ton of grey area with it.

Josh has been pretty forthcoming (when he speaks to us) about his personal life. Generally speaking personal stuff once presented by the person becomes fair game. The other grey area is just what is private. Stuff that left open to the public on a Facebook page for example, it's sort of public already. Some people seem to have an issue with this, but to be fair, it's easy to make stuff private on Facebook so the person who leaves it public is pretty much giving their ok to share...
Last edited by Zanteogo on Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Signature
Re: The General Unhappiness Thread

Zanteogo wrote:
Talvieno wrote:Very much everything that Magus just said. :D

Edit: I've spoken to Josh again, and it seems he should have a decent post up within a day to explain everything. :) If all goes well.
Day in Josh time or real life time?
Real time, hopefully. :P

I fixed the thing with "General Unhappiness". Hopefully that'll keep everybody happy... or at least, properly sad? Not sure what word to use here. :lol:
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image
Re: The New Unhappiness Thread

Talvieno wrote:I've spoken to Josh again, and it seems he should have a decent post up within a day to explain everything.
Yay, finally. Let's hope it comes with something substantial. Glad to see we're about to have news, I wonder what it will be about. Screens, dates, anything LT ?

Sarif wrote:
Talvieno wrote:I've spoken to Josh again, and it seems he should have a decent post up within a day to explain everything.
Yay, finally. Let's hope it comes with something substantial. Glad to see we're about to have news, I wonder what it will be about. Screens, dates, anything LT ?
I've strongly advised him against mentioning dates unless he has something to hold him to it no matter what... given his history of schedule slippage. :P A slipping schedule isn't unusual for solo indie developers, but it just serves to get our hopes up for nothing.

He's asked me not to reveal anything else. :angel:
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

I'm unhappy that we have a new thread with the exact same purpose as the last thread. Can we merge them?

I'm unhappy that within 24 hours of the new thread, it's about half the size of the entire lifespan of the general happiness thread. This makes me unhappy because I wish there was more to be happy about by contrast.

I'm unhappy that anyone feels we need rules specifically regarding doxxing, when 1) Nobody on this forum has ever publicly demonstrated anything which could be reasonably be called doxxing and 2) nobody has ever 'threatened' to do so. I think such a rule is silly and such a suggestion carries an implication that actions have been taken which simply have not.

In this sense I am happy such a rule doesn't exist and that mods have stated that the actions taken to distribute publicly available / publicly posted information - while perhaps somewhat uncomfortable - won't be outright banned. I'm slightly unhappy that this continues to require explanation, but happy that we're still explaining rather than taking the police-state mentality on the issue.

So apparently this thread is a roller coaster for me. Wheeeeeeeeeee....

kaeroku wrote:I'm unhappy that we have a new thread with the exact same purpose as the last thread. Can we merge them?
The trouble with the last thread is that I had little official control over it, because there were no ground rules laid down, and no way for me to be sure I could communicate them to all participants if I was to create some. Some rules needed to be laid out with strict consequences, because people were getting harassed (both in thread and in PM) and harassment is not acceptable here. The new thread lets me be sure everyone sees my post with the rules (it's the first one, after all), and gets everyone's attention at the same time. You'll notice there's no harassment going on anymore.

Merging them would defeat the purpose; my post would be lost in an endless sea, and the general mindset would go back to where it was before. There was a reason I initially started the thread with the title "The New Unhappiness Thread" - it was to call attention to the fact that it was going to be different than the old one. So far, it has been.
I'm unhappy that within 24 hours of the new thread, it's about half the size of the entire lifespan of the general happiness thread. This makes me unhappy because I wish there was more to be happy about by contrast.
This makes me rather unhappy too. Hopefully things will change soon. :)
I'm unhappy that anyone feels we need rules specifically regarding doxxing, when 1) Nobody on this forum has ever publicly demonstrated anything which could be reasonably be called doxxing and 2) nobody has ever 'threatened' to do so. I think such a rule is silly and such a suggestion carries an implication that actions have been taken which simply have not.
I think it's silly as well. I haven't seen anything here I strongly dislike except people talking about stuff that was on the Facebook page of Josh's girlfriend. She has nothing to do with the project directly and should be left out of it unless Josh himself makes that information public.

If someone posts information not readily available to the public on social media sites, however, that will be removed - things like Josh's home address, for instance, or his phone number. Those have no place here and no relevance to anyone except Josh's family and close friends (IRL).

I think that covered everything. :)

Sarif wrote:So...you know stuff.

you guys have been doxxing the wrong person, everyone onto Talvieno
:lol: :ghost:

Talvieno wrote:I've strongly advised him against mentioning dates unless he has something to hold him to it no matter what... given his history of schedule slippage. :P A slipping schedule isn't unusual for solo indie developers, but it just serves to get our hopes up for nothing.
Being completely honest, I wish you hadn't advised that.

If Josh takes that on board, the very most we're going to get from him in future will be "I'm working hard on it, and I'll release it when it's done".

Whereas, saying "I think there's a year left until beta, and here's a plan that shows the remaining elements and my estimation for them", is my ideal - and actually, about the only thing Josh could possibly say at this point that would restore any kind of confidence or even hope in me again.

Anything else, and it's just same old, same old. Back to the same patterns. And I really, for his sake as much as ours, really don't want that to be the case.
--
Mind The Gap

Online Now