Return to “General”

CREW MECHANICS

I've been doing some research as I'm not a backer of the game myself and I found it in may of 2016 but I saw it was confirmed by the man josh himself that there will be crew mechanics. what do you guys think about it? will there be certain types of crew?(medical, engineering, command staff?) talk about it and discuss it.

my opinion is that there should be certain types of crew such as command staff and a minimum for it(at least 2 at all times) for ships that are corvettes or larger. (fighters and bombers obviously have 2 crew a pilot and a co-pilot.)
Re: CREW MECHANICS

I was never in love with the idea that ships had multiple crew members that would have to be managed. I would find it much more interesting if Josh allowed for only one NPC/player per ship with the option to buy on board computers which would then automate processes. The reason I feel this way is because if I trade with a ship I only want to have to deal with the personality of the captain and not the crew underneath them. This also makes things like internal ship mutinies impossible which to me is fine as it simplifies gameplay and lets me worry about other things such as rebellion within my business or faction.

I don't know exactly how Josh plans to have crew work in LT. Maybe they just offer a boost or allow systems to function at a better efficiency. Either way, I'd much rather he skip them all together and focus on the important aspects of LT such as construction and research.

Although I think that at this point, no crew management at all would be best for the sake simplicity - since I think dropping features is very much in need if this game is ever to be released - this is indeed a very interesting topic of discussion in itself.
BFett wrote:I was never in love with the idea that ships had multiple crew members that would have to be managed. I would find it much more interesting if Josh allowed for only one NPC/player per ship with the option to buy on board computers which would then automate processes. The reason I feel this way is because if I trade with a ship I only want to have to deal with the personality of the captain and not the crew underneath them.
This is an interesting idea, but I don't see why the justification for it, i.e. having to deal with the personality of only the captain of a ship, wouldn't also apply in the case of a ship with one captain commanding a crew.

Dromeda5 wrote:
BFett wrote:I was never in love with the idea that ships had multiple crew members that would have to be managed. I would find it much more interesting if Josh allowed for only one NPC/player per ship with the option to buy on board computers which would then automate processes. The reason I feel this way is because if I trade with a ship I only want to have to deal with the personality of the captain and not the crew underneath them.
This is an interesting idea, but I don't see why the justification for it, i.e. having to deal with the personality of only the captain of a ship, wouldn't also apply in the case of a ship with one captain commanding a crew.
Basically, I don't want to manage "people" who are giving a "buff" to my ship. I don't want to have to worry about crew morality, their hunger, or their need for vacations. I don't want a cruise ship simulator. Nor do I want to worry about having to purchase new crew members if they die when I take my ship into combat. It adds a layer of complexity that I'd rather ignore.

I'm not exactly sure what Josh had in mind, so maybe it wouldn't be as much a pain as I'm describing, but these are just my fears.

It would be terribly easy for a ship's crew management feature to take over the game. That should be resisted.

That said, one of the aspects of LT I've been most interested in -- assuming it survives into the actual game -- is the personality-based AI Josh developed for NPCs. If he's built something that cool, it would be a shame not to use it to its full potential.

So I'd sort of like to see a light crew management feature, basically just slotting NPCs into ship roles (which are emergent properties of ship size and computer rating), where some optimization can be done based (in part) on the personality styles of the NPCs available. NPC personalities (and experience) should have a small but meaningful impact on the functions managed by those roles.

If crew NPCs can have conversations with each other that are reflective of their roles and personalities, so much the better. :) "I'm a doctor, not a Gamma Shockpulse mechanic!"

BFett wrote:[
Basically, I don't want to manage "people" who are giving a "buff" to my ship. I don't want to have to worry about crew morality, their hunger, or their need for vacations. I don't want a cruise ship simulator. Nor do I want to worry about having to purchase new crew members if they die when I take my ship into combat. It adds a layer of complexity that I'd rather ignore.

I'm not exactly sure what Josh had in mind, so maybe it wouldn't be as much a pain as I'm describing, but these are just my fears.
When Josh still spoke to us he said, if I remember correctly, that you could hire crew to man guns and pilot ships.

He said something along the lines that it would be very basic (so no worrying about their feelings, or feeding them and stuff)

He also said that there are two different types of AI. The "smart" AI and the "dumb" AI. The dumb AI just does what it's told and never really thinks much for its self. These are your gunners and fighter pilots. The smart AI are useful for managing fleets and sectors for you, however, they can have there own goals and might not follow all your orders (and perhaps even betray you).
My Signature

I'm in the "rather not see crewmembers" camp. Any advantages that a crewmember could potentially lend to manning a gun or shield generator or whatever could easily and simply be included by just saying that I was upgrading my targeting or shield management AI. As much as I love Star Trek I don't find it realistic to imagine a futuristic war ship relying on a captain yelling "shields up" to some crewmember sitting right next to him and waiting for the command to be carried out.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Victor Tombs wrote:Bitching Betty
"You had to take /that/ turn you tool!"
"Hey, lool! This [pirate infested] nebula is pretty! Dont you want to fly there to make some pictures? WHAT DO YOU MEAN WITH 'NO'?"

:lol:
If I wanted that sort of treatment from my female AI companion, Cornflakes, I'd be better off taking the real thing. :mrgreen:

I beleve, it is possible to dictate the ammount of crew per species. IE Light-1 crew per K ship(100-300Meter), Star trek: 1,000 crew per every 600M ship, Star wars: ISD 27,000 crew per 1,600M ship. it is possible, through procedural generation, to add a variable quality per race to modify the ammount of crew to the standards of the specific race. At least i think :mrgreen:
There is no peace, only passion

Victor Tombs wrote:The only crew I've ever wanted was a Bitching Betty/AI companion. :angel:
Betty? As in:

"this ship is the USC's premier space command vehicle... Products, Products, Products, Products are not bought.... Wa,Wa,Wa,War, Warning Missile incoming... Entering system, Freedom's Reach..." That Betty? thats my Fav ship AI anyway. Pre-343 Cortana is a close second.
There is no peace, only passion

Catsu wrote:Betty? As in:

"this ship is the USC's premier space command vehicle... Products, Products, Products, Products are not bought.... Wa,Wa,Wa,War, Warning Missile incoming... Entering system, Freedom's Reach..." That Betty? thats my Fav ship AI anyway. Pre-343 Cortana is a close second.
Yes, to an extent, Catsu, but I'm looking for something more than that. ;) My Betty would belong to a sophisticated technological future where AI companions would be much more than just a warning system. She/it would be able to interact with the human/alien crew on a personal level intellectually. A true companion in space. :angel:

Catsu wrote:
Betty? As in:

Gosh, you just sent me down memory lane :D
panic

Online Now