Return to “General”

CREDITS, PROJECTS, AND THE ECONOMY AND PLANETS

this is a vital topic I haven't seen talk about at all in the description I'm bring up.

1. will the wealth in the game be called credits (stupid question I know) and how can they be used?
2. how will projects work in the game? can we dump 500,000 credits into an infrastructure and security project and let our assets handle it from there (I'm probably one of the few people who paid attention to the projects panel with different types of projects one would be SABOTAGE) how will the assets allocate those credits (credits and resources if assets are assigned to an infrastructure project)
3. how can we use credits in the economy and on planets and colonies? what kind of growth will we see in a colony? (more net income? an increase in resource demand due to investment and growth in the colony?)

I want to see what solutions and opinions and discussions you guys have assuming there's enough people on the forums to fill this thread with dozens of messages. this to me is a vital issue that needs to be talked about and thoroughly discussed. (I should see a lot of posts as this seems like a vital issue when it comes to how credits are allocated to projects and invested into colonies and the economy)
Re: CREDITS, PROJECTS, AND THE ECONOMY AND PLANETS

Welcome to the forums and thanks for the distraction.

There is no official name for the currency used in LT but the term 'credits' is widely accepted. Credits can be used in a number of ways in LT; from buying ships and weapons to creating jobs where NPCs are paid money from the project money pool.
I'll add more after I finish work for the night.

Mistycica wrote:There also was a sick mockup of the LT currency symbol in one of the threads here :3
You mean this one? Image Anyways back to answering those questions.
jonathanredden wrote: 2. how will projects work in the game? can we dump 500,000 credits into an infrastructure and security project and let our assets handle it from there (I'm probably one of the few people who paid attention to the projects panel with different types of projects one would be SABOTAGE) how will the assets allocate those credits (credits and resources if assets are assigned to an infrastructure project)
Yes, this is pretty much how projects work. You put a sum of money into a project and assign the project a goal such as "do damage to faction x" or "mine asteroids in region y". The AI will then take these jobs until either a better job appears or the project runs out of cash. I'm fairly sure that resources and money can also be moved around so a full circuit business might look like this:

Project 1: Mine asteroids in region y
Project 2: Sell minerals in region y to station x
Project 3: Fund mining costs in region y using u% of revenue

This way a business can be completely hands free and generating income for the player while they are off doing something else. There should probably be an optional warning if maintenance costs are greater than the income due to pirates, lack of asteroids, rival factions, ect.
jonathanredden wrote: 3. how can we use credits in the economy and on planets and colonies? what kind of growth will we see in a colony? (more net income? an increase in resource demand due to investment and growth in the colony?)
I'd have to go back to the dev logs to refresh myself on colony economy mechanics. From what I recall, colonies act as black boxes which produce and consume resources. They help keep the economy alive and well balanced. I don't think we will actually see colonies grow or degrade in any way. Perhaps something could change when a hostile fleet is in the same region as the colony. Perhaps it affects allegiances of those who are on the planet and therefore decreases production output for a time. There really should be a hefty post on this topic somewhere.

The exact colony mechanics (growth, founding, ownership, blah) were never outlined by dah josh.

Except that they are black box systems which are "self contained" to a large part.
As in they dont have the ware in-/output you'd expect from a population in the millions but are mostly "trading internally" and only a small fraction of the "actual" ware flow such a population would have is accessible for gameplay.
You dont trade them a billion tons of grain, you trade "specialities" around.

All statements given as "as far as i remember" with errors, misrememberings and my own interpretations of the actually said included.

[quote=BFett]
Yes, this is pretty much how projects work. You put a sum of money into a project and assign the project a goal such as "do damage to faction x" or "mine asteroids in region y". The AI will then take these jobs until either a better job appears or the project runs out of cash. I'm fairly sure that resources and money can also be moved around so a full circuit business might look like this:

Project 1: Mine asteroids in region y
Project 2: Sell minerals in region y to station x
Project 3: Fund mining costs in region y using u% of revenue

This way a business can be completely hands free and generating income for the player while they are off doing something else. There should probably be an optional warning if maintenance costs are greater than the income due to pirates, lack of asteroids, rival factions, etc.[quote]

if this is how projects work I could take the time to do pirate hunting missions or sell the assembly chips to an engine blueprint that has 200m/s max speed each for 1000 each while I check in my security and mining projects occasionally for losses, net income, and statistics.

jonathanredden wrote:
if this is how projects work I could take the time to do pirate hunting missions or sell the assembly chips to an engine blueprint that has 200m/s max speed each for 1000 each while I check in my security and mining projects occasionally for losses, net income, and statistics.
Yep, projects are supposed to allow for passive income in the game. You won't be able to sell assembly chips to engine blueprints though, however selling them to NPCs would work. Projects are what fuels the factions in LT and quite frankly, I'm very excited to see how easy they are to setup. They also mean that npcs can do the hard repetitive labor to allow the player to do what they enjoy doing.

Wow, that's a brilliant way to design out a lit if the tedium. In X3AP (my favourite game of all time) I'd spend a silly amount of time maintaining this. One thing I love here though is if pirates kill my trader, I assume the job automatically opens up again and is simply filed by someone else without me having to do, we'll, anything.

Also, if projects can have multiple vacancies assigned that's even better: if I double production at my foobar factory I just add a vacancy to my foobar traders project. Easy, quick, and I'm back to hunting pirates.

Online Now