Return to “General”

Re: A concern about $... interested in your thoughts

Grumblesaur wrote:
F4wk35 wrote:Also, there's the Therapy too. Or how strongly are those supported by the Government?
What is health insurance?
Under the ACA, Josh is covered under his parents health insurance until he's 26. Since he's still a few years shy of that, and he lived with his folks during the recovery, I imagine that is the case.
I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
teeneger wrote:you still waiting the game? :) lol
Josh is an irresponsible child, who has lost all the money a long time ago.
[citation needed]
The "problem" with Josh is that he is both a perfectionist, and responsible, thus he wants to deliver the best game he can. His current absence is a bit worrying:

1. He's heads down on the final push for the beta. I hope for this.

2. He's had a relapse. I fear this.

His silence began with the release of No Man's Sky, so hopefully the massive negative backlash against that game didn't affect his confidence, given that his game is quite similar.
I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them.

Arclite wrote:His silence began with the release of No Man's Sky, so hopefully the massive negative backlash against that game didn't affect his confidence, given that his game is quite similar.
Similar in that they both use procedural generation? I think that is where the similarity ends. I mean, they both have space ships etc., that is certainly true. But I think Josh ruled out including planetary flight, although one of his demo's did show a mock-up of this, it wouldn't be in the full game apparently.

I'll settle for a fully fleshed out space/combat/trader game without a tacked on planetary surface simulator. I have Elite Dangerous and Infinity: Battlescape for my planetary landing needs. :thumbup:

Lum wrote:Hmmm... hasn't Josh repeatedly said that the money from the KS campaign was to be invested exclusively in project related costs? And that he has enough money from previous jobs to cover non-related costs?
I'd be curious for a link to such sayings. But regardless, the question then becomes: how much and how long ago? "KS project-related costs" indeed include cost-of-living while developing. It is extremely unlikely that $187k+ is being spent on things like computers, coding manuals, keyboards and office space. Even if it were, however, we still need to consider that whatever Josh had saved up previously was saved up until *four years ago* when he stopped everything to work on LT full-time. Four years is a long time, even living with your parents and with a healthy savings. Hence the concern.

It sounds like others recall him saying he was living on about $30k a year, which means he has another year and a half based on KS earnings only to finish this up before cash runs out. And that ignores things like therapy costs and office space which weren't factored in to expenses when this all began, as well as no longer living with his folks, so I'll say that rough estimates put us at 1 year maximum.

I suppose we're not going to see any concrete info on Josh's finances any time soon given that we're not seeing much of anything from Josh and it seems unlikely that he'll be returning to post a financial update (as opposed to a game update,) but it's nice to know that my expectations regarding money running out aren't completely off-base based on the comments seen here.

To me, this means if the game isn't released in beta form within the next year, it will encounter significant obstacles in terms of time-availability due to needing to work to support himself while continuing development.

Starbuck wrote:There is something else we have failed to consider here but perhaps he is already skint and is currently working to pay for future development?...

....I'm sure this isn't the case however!

Perhaps we should contact Donald trump (sorry president trump) and get him to fund an update? He's a billionaire right?

:ghost:
President elect, it's going to be another month till he enters office.

BFett wrote:
Starbuck wrote:There is something else we have failed to consider here but perhaps he is already skint and is currently working to pay for future development?...

Perhaps we should contact Donald trump (sorry president trump) and get him to fund an update? He's a billionaire right?

Two months. Inauguration Day is January 20th.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

Grumblesaur wrote:
BFett wrote:

Two months. Inauguration Day is January 20th.
So, we've got just a bit longer to live it up.

Online Now