Return to “General”

Re: Fall

<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Grumblesaur wrote:
Lum wrote:The first time I've heard about this "fall"-thing I thought "who's falling?"... :oops: :ghost:
The leaves.
From trees.
I am Groot.
Please don't take my advice. You will wind up in jail if you do.
For some reason, I feel obliged to display how many people have talked in IRC over the past 2 hours: Image :problem:
:ugeek:

Dinosawer wrote:
Black--Snow wrote:stuff
Yes, speak French, not English. :ghost:

*runs*
Avec plaisir. Bien que je ne comprenne pas vraiment en quoi parler français va faire avancer le débat, c'est toujours un grand plaisir d'écrire dans la langue de Voltaire.

:mrgreen:

For the silly people who don't speak French :P :
it's funny people argue that "autumn" is the proper English word, given the fact that it's directly borrowed from French (automne) and has thus even less English roots that "Fall". A "proper English" word would be like its Germanic brethren like Dutch and German in which it's "herfst" and "herbst", which means the "proper" English word for autumn isn't autumn but Harvest, from the Old English hærfest.
Image (from wikipedia)

:ghost:
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Dinosawer wrote:For the silly people who don't speak French :P :
it's funny people argue that "autumn" is the proper English word, given the fact that it's directly borrowed from French (automne) and has thus even less English roots that "Fall". A "proper English" word would be like its Germanic brethren like Dutch and German in which it's "herfst" and "herbst", which means the "proper" English word for autumn isn't autumn but Harvest, from the Old English hærfest.
Indeed, it's why we call the full moon that just passed the Harvest moon, and why tomorrow is the day of the Harvest festival. :mrgreen:
Games I like, in order of how much I like them. (Now permanent and updated regularly!)

charnode wrote:Well, Summer of LT sure had a lot nicer ring to it than Fall of LT.
The Fall of LT. Well that just has an entirely different meaning!

Yes, let's call it Autumn. Autumn of Limit Theory, or "ALT' for short.
Shoot ALL the things!

Dinosawer wrote:Eh bien, il pense que "autumn" est le mot propre en anglais, mais c'est du français - le mot juste d’origine germanique serait "herfst" ou "herbst" comme en néerlandais et en allemand :ghost:
Indeed but.... English is not a germanic language, but a mixed one, as the gentry spoke french and created a lot of word based on latin. As a rule, a short word will come from the germanic roots via the peasents, while long words are latin via nobility :roll:
Which is how it should be: barbarians are the northern germanic tribes, while the civilized world is latin.

:twisted:

(important note: i have no clues about linguistic but like making fun of the germanic tribes, being a latin swiss where the majority is germanic)

Online Now