Return to “General”

Re: The general happiness thread

I love this thread. I can't wait for LT to be released, but obviously it's more important that it's done or at least mostly done when it's released than that it's released in the near future. I don't mind waiting several years for this, I'm in for the long haul for this project.
A life well lived only happens once.
Seems deep until you think about it.

Thanks for creating this thread. I worry that the negativity and disbelief will be a self fulfilling prophecy, getting Josh down and sending him back to a dark place until he's forced to choose between his health and the game.

Personally I'm still very excited about LT. On the other hand, I've got a job I enjoy, a wife I love and a small daughter who makes every day a delight. If LT never got released any disappointment I might feel would be but a drop in the ocean of my satisfaction. So much so, that if I had to choose between getting the game but knowing it broke Josh again, or never getting it but knowing Josh remained healthy, I'd rather it never got finished. And I've never met him.

Life is good. It should be good for everyone. Games are fun but that's all.

I have a feeling that if Josh gets the game-play right, he may become very wealthy very quickly. I've looked high and low for a game like this, and there is literally nothing that matches what we have seen in the videos. In what other game do you have the ability to buy multiple ships, have them work for you, have NPCs threaten you because they want your resources, and the player has to come up with ways to either defend the fighting forces or at least defend their assets.

The fact that LT has the possibility to contain so much inherent depth is amazing to me. It caters to so many crowds. RTS check, business management check, explorer check, trader check, and many other possibilities. It is for me a dream come true, but only if it gets released at some point.

BFett wrote:I have a feeling that if Josh gets the game-play right, he may become very wealthy very quickly. I've looked high and low for a game like this, and there is literally nothing that matches what we have seen in the videos. In what other game do you have the ability to buy multiple ships, have them work for you, have NPCs threaten you because they want your resources, and the player has to come up with ways to either defend the fighting forces or at least defend their assets.

The fact that LT has the possibility to contain so much inherent depth is amazing to me. It caters to so many crowds. RTS check, business management check, explorer check, trader check, and many other possibilities. It is for me a dream come true, but only if it gets released at some point.
I would love if LT became a successful game and had mass market appeal that made Josh rich and famous.

I fear though, we will find it to be more of a niche game in the end.

I think perhaps people sometimes have too high expectations to what Limit Theory really will be. (a pretty to look at, open world space game)
My Signature

Zanteogo wrote:I fear though, we will find it to be more of a niche game in the end.
It'll be Niche, right up until the release of the first complex mods. :D

What we are getting (if it happens according to everything we have seen so far) is a Fast Python game engine with an example game on top of it.
That won't stay niche for long.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

BFett wrote:I have a feeling that if Josh gets the game-play right, he may become very wealthy very quickly. I've looked high and low for a game like this, and there is literally nothing that matches what we have seen in the videos. In what other game do you have the ability to buy multiple ships, have them work for you, have NPCs threaten you because they want your resources, and the player has to come up with ways to either defend the fighting forces or at least defend their assets.
Avorion does all that, to some degree. Not the degree LT is supposed to, but hey, I can actually play it right now. :ghost:
(Owning multiple ships is a tad fiddly atm, though.)
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

What wets my appetite about the game more than most things is the zoning system. Knowing you can "own parts or all of star systems", base/ship building, researching etc to defend or attack zones and knowing the AI can do the same thing is great.

Then knowing there are other AI out there that you will come accross that will either be passive or aggressive is awesome!

I'm still worried about the AI. I mentioned this in 2014 & 15. A lot of space games have suffered from crap AI (NMS anyone?) Plus lots of other games and, to be honest, LT will be doomed if the AI is not up to much!

However this is a positive "happy" thread so I'm remaining upbeat about this and, if Josh can implement a crackingly good AI along with the zones system and the other things I mentioned above, I would be more than happy (along with more updates and DLC down the road).

Triscopic wrote:Thanks for creating this thread. I worry that the negativity and disbelief will be a self fulfilling prophecy, getting Josh down and sending him back to a dark place until he's forced to choose between his health and the game.

Personally I'm still very excited about LT. On the other hand, I've got a job I enjoy, a wife I love and a small daughter who makes every day a delight. If LT never got released any disappointment I might feel would be but a drop in the ocean of my satisfaction. So much so, that if I had to choose between getting the game but knowing it broke Josh again, or never getting it but knowing Josh remained healthy, I'd rather it never got finished. And I've never met him.

Life is good. It should be good for everyone. Games are fun but that's all.
Someone hid the rep button. :(

--IronDuke
Knowledge is Power, and Power goes in Cars.
I-War 2 thread
Epic Limit Theory Limerick

Wow, the unhappiness has derailed somewhat (insert random bubble/derail/poppment picture here), may as well continue here eh? Hope you are well young man/Josh! For shall you keep these threads open I will witness many a brotherly/sisterly/otherly bond taking place on here as well as many speculative threads of awesome Imperical Domination and Doom or Freedom. Old though I may be, mine (and thy) and your children may take pleasure in your realms of glacial space-doom or fiery conflict among the beautiful stars. Even if this shall never come to pass, honestly i thank you for the opportunity to play a truly great game.

Also... chickens! Flee little dinosaurs! Flee for your lives before my children pluck the feathers from your bones. 8-)

Also Also, it may come to pass that the mega unhappiness thread migrates here, because, you know, space lanes can be cosmically awesome even though many of us disagree with the implementation? Also space elves may invade or something.

I remember finding these forums a few years ago. You could feel the enthusiasm Josh had in explaining the technical details of his work. I remember thinking then that software development could be great work. Fast forward a couple of years and I'm in the middle of making a career change into development. I love being able to sit and work in a editor, fixing and refining your code and seeing it all come together. Where ever you are Josh, you opened my eyes to it. Thanks and Merry Christmas! :thumbup: :wave: :geek: :squirrel:

Online Now