Return to “General”

Re: Learning from No Man's Sky by pivoting core gameplay

bkdevil wrote:Put me on the list of people that have no interest in multiplayer whatsoever. I really was drawn into the Limit Theory pitch because of the idea of an infinite single player experience. I don't want other people in my sandbox knocking my castles down! The AI will do a fair job of that on its own...
I dont want other people to knock down my sand castles either...
but building bigger and better sandcastles with a small group of friends and the occasional friendly sandcastle war could be lots of fun :angel:

Basically I think its by far too late for any Multiplayer in LT (I just guess that josh didn't it implement it this way). There are two ways, to design a game either for singleplayer only or just singleplayer but with multiplayer functionality. It just means that even in singleplayer its still using a server/client mechanism (most online FPS games work this way under the hood).
outlander4 wrote: What I'd love to see in LT is not really PCG but simulation ...

Basically, Dwarf Fortress: adventurer mode, IN SPACE!
This! ... i'll quote this, its brilliant! Because its the same I want too :D

pssshhhhh :ghost: :ghost: :ghost:

but building bigger and better sandcastles with a small group of friends and the occasional friendly sandcastle war could be lots of fun
I can't argue with that. I guess I only don't want strangers knocking down my stuff.
Basically, Dwarf Fortress: adventurer mode, IN SPACE!
Hahahah, yeah, sounds cool, but I don't think Josh has quite the same attitude as Toady when it comes to releasing unfinished code. So if he was adding the same kind of content we'd be looking at somewhere around a 2024 release date for LT. It'd be pretty damn awesome though...

I like the idea of LT multiplayer, but it would have to be done right. Strict anti-cheat code would likely be necessary to keep players from manipulating the game files as they play. Or some tricky networking would need to be in place so that clients would have restrictions on what parts of the game they have access to.

I have a feeling the mod community for this game will be incredible.

AlxndrM wrote:Been following this game since 2013, long time lurker, love the community.

Seems like Hello Games never intended to create the seamlessly super-connected googleverse many of us had hoped for. Instead, we were given a singleplayer-focused experience with little to no online player interactions.

Which is fine, I guess.

However, after interpreting the LT dev logs and after watching the Youtube stuff I realized that No Man's Sky really is a barebone version of what Josh Parnell is trying (tried?) to accomplish.

I therefore suggest that this project is way too big for a single guy with, to the best of my knowledge, no prior commercial game dev experience.

I do however think that the things he showed us a million years ago are amazing. I also think that there is a lesson to learn from NMS's debut:

People are really interested in interacting with other people in a huge ass space game. Why not fill in the gap with a Limit Theory that focuses on multiplayer?

I'm not sure how much this limits the scope of the game as we haven't seen anything for a long time. I do however think that you can vastly simplify the mechanics of LT to allow for a smaller yet more focused multiplayer-focused experience.

You can also take advantage of people's enthusiasm by being a little playful and allow for mods. Maybe by following the steps of Valve by providing a curated mod approval scheme a la Counter Strike and DOTA 2?

I realize this isn't what a lot of people are looking for, but who cares because all we are is dust in the wind.

I don't know, I'm no mortal man.
I see it in a different way :)

The main aspect that is going to 'ruin' No Man's Sky is the 'on-line' part. Just look at any Let's Play and see what people are naming planets and creatures. Immersion breaking much! NMS was never sold as a mp game, it was always a single player game, but Sean Murray wanted to give some 'community' interaction by allowing people to name things to 'share'. I really, really wish that had not been added and NMS was a pure single player experience.

Apparently if i want to get paid for discovering things i have to connect, and thus get all the other peoples immersion breaking stuff in 'my' game. I think i might just not upload stuff at all, or hope a mod or dev work-around comes out. I just do not like other people ruining my game experience.

Having said that you might think i'm a completely anti-social person? Far from it, but for whatever reason when people get into a online game they break it (for me). Either by actions or just the words they use (that always break immersion).

Limit Theory got it RIGHT vs Elite Dangerous/Star Citizen et all. It was the only Space Sim of the current crop that promised it would be single player only. It was one of the main reasons i backed the project, and why i still maintain an interest in it. If it went full MP i just would not want to play it.

Online gaming is so over-rated. It always boils down to smack-talk, face shooting and encouraging psychopath personality disorder. It destroys everything else a game can be about in favour of the behind the bikeshed pissing contest we all did at school. It is so juvenile and lowers the tone and atmosphere of a game to the Nth degree. It kills all games for me, 100% stone cold dead.

Now playing local MP with a bunch of like-minded friends i can get behind. I know people that play like me and also value immersion and good manners.

MP also kills modding more or less. If Morrowind (a Josh favourite) had been all about MP PvP, it would NEVER have become the incredible modded experience it now is.

So i guess that is a 100% categoric 'No MP' vote from me in relation to LT :D

Zak, what kind of games do you like to play? What games have you played that have given you those immersion breaking experiences?

I personally play a lot of FPS and sometimes RTS games so I rarely if ever have my experience worsened by multi-player. The only example I can think of is minecraft multi-player where players have the ability to destroy or damage things I've made.

Online Now