Return to “General”

What happens when a ship collides with a smaller asteroid?

Re-watching the dev-videos this summer, I noticed something that I can't get out of my mind. So please help me with any details if any of you can.

In LT, what does happen with a ship when it collides with a much smaller asteroid? I mean, of course if it collides with a big one, it stops/bounces. However, what about the tiny asteroids we see around the asteroid fields? Would a ship be stopped by a tiny floating rock, since asteroids do not move?

I think this is specially important due to the fact that LT plans to support a wide range of ship sizes. Like, an asteroid that is big-enough to be "collidable" for the smallest ship might become too small for that in the case of the biggest ship in the game.

Does anyone have any clues on how that is planned to work in LT, specially between different sized-ships?

Thanks!
Re: What happens when a ship collides with a smaller asteroi

Kimny wrote:Re-watching the dev-videos this summer, I noticed something that I can't get out of my mind. So please help me with any details if any of you can.

In LT, what does happen with a ship when it collides with a much smaller asteroid? I mean, of course if it collides with a big one, it stops/bounces. However, what about the tiny asteroids we see around the asteroid fields? Would a ship be stopped by a tiny floating rock, since asteroids do not move?

I think this is specially important due to the fact that LT plans to support a wide range of ship sizes. Like, an asteroid that is big-enough to be "collidable" for the smallest ship might become too small for that in the case of the biggest ship in the game.

Does anyone have any clues on how that is planned to work in LT, specially between different sized-ships?

Thanks!
I assume the asteroid will break apart, that makes the most sense in my head.
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

That's what I though at first, even if that was never saw in any of the videos. However, what made me question my self was the issue of having ships of largely divergent sizes. Like, by that solution, the biggest ship in the game would become able to destroy asteroids that are, for the smallest ships, of medium to large sizes. That would require asteroids to be destroyable and to degenerate into smaller pieces.

I was under the impression that the asteroids were only in the game to give Josh something to shoot at. He would probably try to convince you that they form part of the mining game mechanic but I'm not convinced. I don't suppose his aim has improved any over the years. He's getting a bit old to be a twitch player.

Smashing your ship into asteroids is cheating and is frowned upon by the various authorities in the LT universe. ;) Accidental collisions are more than likely to incur a fine as it was probably inattention by the pilot that caused such a collision.

Perhaps Josh could demonstrate an epic collision in the trailer for the upcoming release of the game. :angel:

:shifty: It's just a thought.

Victor Tombs wrote:I was under the impression that the asteroids were only in the game to give Josh something to shoot at. He would probably try to convince you that they form part of the mining game mechanic but I'm not convinced. I don't suppose his aim has improved any over the years. He's getting a bit old to be a twitch player.

Smashing your ship into asteroids is cheating and is frowned upon by the various authorities in the LT universe. ;) Accidental collisions are more than likely to incur a fine as it was probably inattention by the pilot that caused such a collision.

Perhaps Josh could demonstrate an epic collision in the trailer for the upcoming release of the game. :angel:

:shifty: It's just a thought.
Why in the world would people fine you for crashing into an asteroid?
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Victor Tombs wrote:
Black--Snow wrote:Why in the world would people fine you for crashing into an asteroid?
It's like a road traffic collision in space. They used to call them road traffic accidents here in the UK but realized that there is always someone who is responsible. You can't fine the asteroid so it has to be the pilot at fault. :angel:
Yes, but the asteroids aren't property. If you crash into a Space Station/ship and deal damage beyond shields (Damage that costs money to fix) then you could be fined (Of course, you should be able to just not pay it and slug it out with the police force instead).

Black--Snow wrote:Yes, but the asteroids aren't property. If you crash into a Space Station/ship and deal damage beyond shields (Damage that costs money to fix) then you could be fined (Of course, you should be able to just not pay it and slug it out with the police force instead).
The asteroids could be property. The authorities won't be interested in your excuses. They just want your money. *chuckle*

Victor Tombs wrote:
Black--Snow wrote:Yes, but the asteroids aren't property. If you crash into a Space Station/ship and deal damage beyond shields (Damage that costs money to fix) then you could be fined (Of course, you should be able to just not pay it and slug it out with the police force instead).
The asteroids could be property. The authorities won't be interested in your excuses. They just want your money. *chuckle*
Then asteroid mining would be taxed too. :V

Victor Tombs wrote:
Black--Snow wrote:Then asteroid mining would be taxed too. :V
More than likely. :angel: The pilot may even be sued by the asteroid owner for damaging his investment. :mrgreen:
If an asteroid is owned by somebody, wouldn't they just forbid the mining of said asteroid all together?

Victor Tombs wrote:
Black--Snow wrote: If an asteroid is owned by somebody, wouldn't they just forbid the mining of said asteroid all together?
The owner could be a miner. :angel:
Exactly, it would be more profitable to forbid mining of the asteroid and keep it for yourself.
I'd imagine this should be possible in LT, but I'm not so sure about taxing/fining.

Victor Tombs wrote:I have a suspicion that Kimny wasn't even remotely thinking about such things when he started this thread, Black--Snow. :oops:

It wouldn't be the first time I've exasperated a fellow member by choosing to comment. :(
"irritate intensely; infuriate."
What gave you that impression? :lol:

Online Now