Return to “General”

Re: What happens when a ship collides with a smaller asteroi

Victor Tombs wrote:I have a suspicion that Kimny wasn't even remotely thinking about such things when he started this thread, Black--Snow. :oops:

It wouldn't be the first time I've exasperated a fellow member by choosing to comment. :(
Haha, I don't mind that at all :)

That said, I re-watched some LT videos and still could not guess the answer to my original question. Maybe someone who has the prototype could check how that worked in those initial stages of the game history

This is purely from memory...

But Josh had stated in the videos that the asteroids are generated in place, and don't move.
And while he might do dust sized things that are movable like Freelancer had, I doubt he will do movable asteroids.
He wanted the 'roid fields to populate in the same way each time from what I remember of the videos.

So I wouldn't expect that asteroids will get out of your way when you punch into them in cruise mode :V
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

ig88 wrote:As far as im aware Josh had collision off in most of the updates
Yes, he did, because the AI couldn't deal with the pathing.
He did mention (at least that I recall) that they were statically positioned too, there were a bunch of complaints on the forums about asteroids not being movable, or orbiting. :V
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Silverware wrote:
ig88 wrote:As far as im aware Josh had collision off in most of the updates
Yes, he did, because the AI couldn't deal with the pathing.
from what i remember it wasnt a pathing problem but a performance problem with collision detection.
Oh, well that's just stupid then. BSP and various other tools were invented for a reason.
It's fairly easy to implement quick and efficient test cases to see if you need to run actual collision detection.

So unless Josh just had never put effort into it, I can't see why it would have been performance issues. :?
Oh well, moot point 'till the next update anyway. :V
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°

Online Now