Return to “General”

The Pacing Conundrum

So I've been playing X3 quite a lot recently (Josh LT pls now!) and I've thought about this quite a lot in regards to LT:
How will the pacing work/be perfected?

On one hand, you have X3's pacing, slow with time acceleration to make it less boring. While this system does have its benefits (The space feels large, sizes are in proportion and ships' speeds feel good, though the speed can seem quite slow at times) it also has major drawbacks (Long periods of AFK because time is slow and time is money).

Wondering what kind of ideas everyone has, and potentially what idea Josh has in mind.

Too quick and the concept of time goes out the window (Along with the immersion value that provides) but too slow and the player is left bored without a choice because their trader takes 5 hours to make a decent sum of money.
Thoughts?

Edit: To expand on this, slow pacing also makes it difficult for people with little time to experience the game. X3 suffers from this, as even with ~6 hours, you barely scratch the surface of the early game content due to time constraints. However, quicker pacing means everything feels less fulfilling and the game is over sooner.
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)
Re: The Pacing Conundrum

Hyperion wrote:Image
That's exactly like SETA from X3 then. :P
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Online Now