Return to “General”

Re: late game and overpowered/large empires/ factions

Silverware wrote:
Poet1960 wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:Which doesnt change my point.

You do it unilaterally by limiting the AI to less than it could be instead of setting the game itself up in a way that its fun for the player with fair play.

I'm not interested in fair play. I'm interested in winning and having fun, with the occasional setback to keep things interesting. Of course I want a challenge, but I don't want a bunch of crap just to make things a "realistic" pain in the ass.
Then wait three hours after release for the cheat mods? :P

:lol: That, or use the console commands. :mrgreen:
Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

Poet1960 wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:Then why did you back a game where ai-player parity is one if the main design goals, as clearly stated in the kickstarter? :ghost:

Your assumption is showing.
My assumption that Josh will design the game like he's been talking about since the kickstarter constantly?
Why yes. Silly me. :ghost:
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Dinosawer wrote:
Poet1960 wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:Then why did you back a game where ai-player parity is one if the main design goals, as clearly stated in the kickstarter? :ghost:

Your assumption is showing.
My assumption that Josh will design the game like he's been talking about since the kickstarter constantly?
Why yes. Silly me. :ghost:

No, your assumption that I backed the game. I found the game after the kickstarter was done.
Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

Dinosawer wrote:Okay, replace "backed" with "interested enough you keep hanging out on the forums for years", which doesn't really have any relevance to the point I was making :P

Interested is putting it mildly. This game has many of the elements I want, or at least it seems to. I'm pretty sick of the dross that's been put out lately and this game raises my hopes of attaining the holy grail. :D

Poet1960 wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:Okay, replace "backed" with "interested enough you keep hanging out on the forums for years", which doesn't really have any relevance to the point I was making :P

Interested is putting it mildly. This game has many of the elements I want, or at least it seems to. I'm pretty sick of the dross that's been put out lately and this game raises my hopes of attaining the holy grail. :D
Don't forget how hyped the Holy Hand Grenade was, yet that turned out to be pretty shitty. Keep that in mind. :V
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Black--Snow wrote:
Poet1960 wrote:

Don't forget how hyped the Holy Hand Grenade was, yet that turned out to be pretty shitty. Keep that in mind. :V
That did it's job perfectly, without overkill, and without leaving a mess.
It was a perfect weapon, thank you VERY much.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote: That did it's job perfectly, without overkill, and without leaving a mess.
But it was still less amazing than it's hype suggested it was. :V
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Black--Snow wrote:
Silverware wrote: That did it's job perfectly, without overkill, and without leaving a mess.
Hrmm, I don't know, we only saw it when it was asked to kill one rabbit.
Perhaps it's more impressive as there are more enemies who have been naughty in the sight of god are around?
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote:
Black--Snow wrote:
Perhaps it's more impressive as there are more enemies who have been naughty in the sight of god are around?
It is fuelled by the anger of God and thus the more infidels in view, the more powerful the weapon. AND SO IT WAS BY THE WORD OF GOD

Poet1960 wrote:I dunno about you,
Holy Carp, Cornflakes has a post count of OVER 8000! :shock: :!:
Black--Snow wrote:If worker NPCs had a numerical value of how much they liked their manager/manager's manager/you they could possibly join a manager's revolution
And then Limit Theory became Defect, but with corporations and governments instead of spaceships. :ghost: :twisted:
Black--Snow wrote:I want this to be a power fantasy game. I want to earn the power clawing my way to the top though, then once I'm up there I want to have to fight tooth and claw to keep my faction alive.
*High-Five* :shh: :ghost:
Poet1960 wrote:I dunno, maybe he did, but the AI is most likely going to be given a certain scope of abilities, and is not going to be a HAL 9000.
That's what you think. :shifty: :silent:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

Silverware wrote:
Black--Snow wrote:

And.....it wasn't just any old rabbit, it was a KILLER rabbit. It was the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rabbit you ever set eyes on. It had a vicious streak a mile wide.

Also, he can jump SO HIGH.

Plus he made an appearance in The Witcher 3. (I am not making this up.)

But back to somebody in LT (either the faction-controlling player or a faction-controlling NPC) becoming "overpowered": I also remember being told that procedural generation meant that the LT game universe, like our real 'verse, would be finite but unbounded. That is, while at any moment there is an "edge" to the universe beyond which nothing exists, the universe is capable of growing at the edges over time.

If that's still the plan for LT -- to spawn new edge systems as needed so that the player-Alexander does not weep (for there are no new worlds to conquer) -- should that edge-extension also happen as needed to maintain a challenge for big NPCs?

Or would it feel weird to let the gameworld grow without the player making it do so? Also, if the player is still fractionally factionally weak when big NPCs are expanding the game universe, would this mean all NPCs are so big that the player can never hope to challenge them?

No matter what, though, better not risk another frontal assault. That rabbit's dynamite.

[Edit: Damn you, autocorrect!]
Last edited by Flatfingers on Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flatfingers wrote:Also, he can jump SO HIGH.

Plus he made an appearance in The Witcher 3. (I am not making this up.)

But back to somebody in LT (either the faction-controlling player or a faction-controlling NPC) becoming "overpowered": I also remember being told that procedural generation meant that the LT game universe, like our real 'verse, would be finite but unbounded. That is, while at any moment there is an "edge" to the universe beyond which nothing exists, the universe is capable of growing at the edges over time.

If that's still the plan for LT -- to spawn new edge systems as needed so that the player-Alexander does not weep (for there are no new worlds to conquer) -- should that edge-extension also happen as needed to maintain a challenge for big NPCs?

Or would it feel weird to let the gameworld grow without the player making it do so? Also, if the player is still fractionally weak when big NPCs are expanding the game universe, would this mean all NPCs are so big that the player can never hope to challenge them?

No matter what, though, better not risk another frontal assault. That rabbit's dynamite.
It isn't like X3 where there are a few static large main empires and the player, IIRC newly spawned systems have a chance of generating new factions and assets within them, meaning expanding is still a challenge. Also, if the universe expands without me I would be overjoyed, I want a game with a universe that feels alive and competitive, not like vanilla X3 where it's all static and the engine tries to emulate the feeling of life (It doesn't really work).

Online Now