Return to “General”

Re: The General Unhappiness Megathread

@Cornflakes Your argument is based fully on an analogy, which in my view is an analogy of false equivalence. But, once again, it does not matter if it adds anything in your view, because in my view you still have the option to ignore it if you so choose. I think in this forum, the case of people repeating ideas happens for a few reasons: people don't want to search to see if it's already been said, they want to show that agree with someone else, or something new has arisen that makes a topic worth discussing again.

I can see that they obviously do not teach Mill in Austria (or at least don't teach it well), so I'll give you a few very basic Millian views on the benefits of free speech.

1. Helps both the speaker and the listener learn to evaluate and create arguments more effectively.
2. Helps the speaker's and listener's quest for knowledge.
3. Helps foster creativity.

So, you may not like what is being expressed here. Once again, you have two options: ignore or respond.

If you don't want to ignore, what you can do is ask the person to elaborate on their position. They will be able to support their position with evidence, or they will not, at which point you may be able to convince them to join your side due to the realization that their position was not based on good information.

masseffect7 wrote:@Cornflakes Your argument is based fully on an analogy, which in my view is an analogy of false equivalence. But, once again, it does not matter if it adds anything in your view, because in my view you still have the option to ignore it if you so choose. I think in this forum, the case of people repeating ideas happens for a few reasons: people don't want to search to see if it's already been said, they want to show that agree with someone else, or something new has arisen that makes a topic worth discussing again.
if you'd care to actually read what i write you'd see that im not arguing against different people arguing the same points.
im annoyed by the same three persons posting their copypasted complaints every third day.

with no additional developments, discussions or anything inbetween.

im not disagreeing with people being allowed to discuss points.

im disagreeing with people producing noise.

This glorious thread will one day burn in a great pit. Until that day, everyone has the right to be generally unhappy, instead of specifically unhappy about LT's game mechanics, performance issues, and how smart the hostile AI are.

I await the day when I see threads stating that "Pulse Cannons aren't balanced!" or "Destroyer armor too thick, please nerf!". Until then, I will be silently watching you all argue pointless, meaningless arguments about how repetitive you all are.

Can't stand this kind of music, but this one makes some sense. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-p7n1xI6P8 :mrgreen:

By the way masseffect, you have stated your "idea" over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over many times. Nobody shut you down. Nobody tried to restrict you on your first several thousand repeats, and nobody is trying to, "prevent your idea from getting into the marketplace."

As corn is so patiently trying to point out to you, initial ideas are fine, but the constant harping, like the drip from a leaky roof on your forehead, gets annoying after a while. Got something new? No? Same ol same ol? Then why keep repeating yourself, what do you expect to happen?

The situation is what it is. Either accept the reality of it, or keep complaining in hopes of..........I don't know, whatever you think you're going to accomplish with it.
Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

Look, EVERYBODY wants this game NOW, but it's not out now. So we wait. That's it. You can either spend the time doing something useful or entertaining, or you can complain about this or that, neither of which will cause the game to get here any faster. There is no point in getting all worked up about something you have no control over, it's a waste of time. It's not that hard.
Last edited by Poet1960 on Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

Poet1960 wrote:There is no point in getting all worked up about something you have no control over, it's a waste of time. It's not that hard.
Commiseration is one coping mechanism for grief and frustration. A large reason this thread is sitting at - what is it, 139 pages of posts now? - is because there's an overwhelming need to express said dissatisfaction. Sure, we may see the same 20 or so people contributing the vast majority of content, but we'll often see rare posters come in to express agreement or relief that others are discussing the things they are worried about.

This thread is probably the biggest tribute to Josh that exists; SO MANY PEOPLE who are extremely frustrated with his actual demonstrations of effort are still here discussing it because we want to believe in him and that he will fulfill the promises he made eventually. Yes, I'm making the argument that every bitchy post here is actively supportive of Josh. You can't be angry about something you don't care about. You don't put effort writing about something that doesn't matter to you.

139 pages of unhappiness is 139 pages of people saying "this sucks... BUT I'm hoping it eventually won't suck, so I'm here anyway." That's pretty huge, if you think about it.

The invocation of Mill in this context is akin to insisting that a group of men running through your house shouting "this is sh*t!" over and over shouldn't be told to knock it off because to do so would restrict the flow of ideas in the marketplace.

That said, if this:
masseffect7 wrote:But, I can see who's going to win in the end here, it will be the speech control squad, and I have no desire to watch that happen, so I'm out. Good luck with the game. Hopefully it will come out someday.
...means you intend not to post at all in any thread then that would be a shame. I would really enjoy a discussion of gameplay ideas with you in Suggestions, or even here in General. I've stopped making those kinds of posts because of Josh's absence, but BFett has tried gamely to re-inject some energy there and if you're up for it then so am I. In doing so I'll stop posting here. That goes for anyone I've crossed swords with in this thread.

And with that, I'm out. (For tonight! :P )

kaeroku wrote:
Poet1960 wrote:There is no point in getting all worked up about something you have no control over, it's a waste of time. It's not that hard.
Commiseration is one coping mechanism for grief and frustration. A large reason this thread is sitting at - what is it, 139 pages of posts now? - is because there's an overwhelming need to express said dissatisfaction. Sure, we may see the same 20 or so people contributing the vast majority of content, but we'll often see rare posters come in to express agreement or relief that others are discussing the things they are worried about.

This thread is probably the biggest tribute to Josh that exists; SO MANY PEOPLE who are extremely frustrated with his actual demonstrations of effort are still here discussing it because we want to believe in him and that he will fulfill the promises he made eventually. Yes, I'm making the argument that every bitchy post here is actively supportive of Josh. You can't be angry about something you don't care about. You don't put effort writing about something that doesn't matter to you.

139 pages of unhappiness is 139 pages of people saying "this sucks... BUT I'm hoping it eventually won't suck, so I'm here anyway." That's pretty huge, if you think about it.

Yeah, that's true. I guess to put it another way, misery loves company. I have thought of that before though. It really does say a lot about peoples hopes for this game. The other thing is though, too many companies these days toss out half baked games to the masses as fast as they can without a whole lot of regard for playability, reliability etc. Oh sure they care, but only to the extent that they can make a game look like they at least payed token attention to those things. The bottom line these days seems to be the bottom line so to speak. Not that that's different than it used to be, it's just that they seem to pay less and less attention to the quality and focus more on how fast they can get it out the door and reap the fiscal rewards.

The two funniest things in this whole discussion about "trying to stop the trend of [supposedly] the same people complaining over and over again" are the following.

First, Talvieno himself, who is our moderator-in-chief, already stated many many times that people are welcome to complain here how many times they want. He actually just gave a brilliant reply to the always repeated question "people repeatedly posting the same downer material over and over for no better reason than... well I've still to find a reason. Why are you[they] posting this stuff?":
Talvieno wrote:Because they're unhappy, but don't want to abandon the project. Posting here is fine. That's what the thread is for. It's better than it leaking all over the forum and causing everything to be steeped in negativity, after all. And the people here have good reason to be negative. Josh keeps disappearing for months at a time.
So, those who still come to try to shut people up are clearly and knowingly doing something useless - and that contradicts the official orientation about this thread.

The second funnies thing is the fact that the number and diversity of people complaining here about Josh's reiterated lack of respect for LT's community just keeps increasing. They are not always the same saying the same things (even if they were, as pointed above, it'd be fine). But they are not. Just go back from the beginning of this thread an count different names. But on the other hand, the people that come to the "The General Unhappiness Megathread" to criticize those who complain, sometimes to even bully or offende them, are almost always the same. Currently, no more than the same 3 or 4.

I, for one, will indulge myself and repeat what I already said before: do the pressure that you want. It won't work. This thread is here for that very purpose you seem to hate. Swallow it - or not, and keep doing what you accuse others of doing: being pointlessly repetitive.

So, you INTERPRET Josh's actions as a "lack of respect?" Do you know it for a fact? Do you in fact KNOW anything about why or what he is doing? You, or those who toss that word around, have no idea if that is his intention or not. You are certainly free to your own assumptions, but I would suggest getting some thicker skin. He may have very good reasons for doing what he is doing, maybe he doesn't, but my own interpretation is that he probably wouldn't be doing what he's doing unless he had at least a reason that was good enough for him. Or maybe he's just a really good procrastinator, who knows.

But this whole, "disrespectful" thing is total bull. I'm pretty tired of that word being overused and abused in society today. Somebody disrespected you? Oh dear! Did it hurt? Get over it, you'll live.

Online Now